Best cm role partnerships

bufton39

Reaction score
I am playing 4-4-2/ 4-1-4-1 and am wondering what the best role pairings are for two Central Midfielders? Currently playing a RPM/DLP with a BWM

There is no "best". It is entirely down to how you are playing, what you want/need the players to do, and what you have around them. Almost any combination of roles COULD work, depending on all those factors.

For my preferences, I would probably avoid RPM and BWM as they both roam from home and can leave you exposed in the middle. DLP & BWM is a bit better. Doesn't provide you a midfield runner, though. Again, depends on what you are needing from them.

Playing a 442 would have different requirements/demands on your CM pair than the 4141 due to the fact there is a DM behind them. Two very different set-ups.

Ask yourself what do u want the midfield to do? With three bodies in three, one to defend, one on support and the third as an attaack duty? Or a Support/defend if u r the underdog.

With two, I tend to be a bit more cautious, with a Def and a Support duty.
Specific roles though will depend on the player's ability to perform it and the tactic I am playing.