KidSparxx

Reaction score
Questions in the title. What is the best formation to keep and play possession football, that gives the player on the ball the most options to pass to etc.

Probably a 4-5-1 would be best due to its ability to connect all the lines and still have wings. It's important when playing possession football that every player that recieves the ball in the midfield has a passing option on each flank. Of course, set the passing style to "shorter" and preferably give your striker a support duty. The key to possession is for every player to find multiple passing options whenever he recieves the ball, no matter how you do it.

If you download Koflok's Goal Galore, despite it's name you will dominate heavily and your assistant will most regularly say in half time team talks, 'You're outplaying them everywhere' :)

4-5-1, 4-4-2, 4-1-3-2, 4-1-2-1-2 and 4-1-4-1 are good choices.

Read this if you get a little stuck.

Best formation for keeping possession (in a pure sense, looking at nothing else apart from possession) would be a 3-4-3-0 formation, imo. I must try that some day...

i think possesion football is not about the formation cause now every body wanna be barca lol doesnt matter the formation you play its down to the tempo you wanna play for 90mns and what you want your winger to do when they have the ball , you should have minimum 3 midfield players an anchor man that support the defence and get short passes only.for my part is slow tempo , + overlap , no long shots , and passes to fit for all but iniesta since he is the man to unlock dead situation sane when i play cesc.