Broyston

Reaction score
In my 1st season as Liverpool manager my team scored about 5 goals from corners all season, I never really looked at tweaking it much. Then I saw various tactics where people were saying player x scored 30 goals from corners for them so I thought I would look at it more... In my 2nd preseason I have come up with something that seems to be working much better, but I have a problem, my best header is useless at heading. Yes I am talking about Mr Carroll. If I send up Carra or Phil Jones they score easily (even Wickham gets goals) and these guys have lower jumping and heading stats than Carroll. He wins the headers nearly every time but just heads into row Z, never on target. I want him to get the goals as he doesn't get enough from open play and his confidence drops (he went on a 4 month non scoring streak last season for me....although he got lots of assists). Any thoughts as to why he can't score from corners?

Goals from corners don't happen as often as you might think, where are you playing Carroll on the corners?

I just send the ball to the back post. I reckon I get 30+ goals a season from corners (all comps). Vidic stands back post and Evans/Rannochia are disturbing the keeper. It's pretty cool when your CB scores 3 :D

The corner goes to the back post and that is where I put the person I am expecting to score. As I said in the post everyone else who I stick in that position scores. I would say I get a corner goal almost every game, but if its Carroll he always heads over. The others get a goal, or least the force the keeper to pull off a blinding save or its scrabbled off the line.

No idea why Carrol isn't scoring if your lesser headers are, providing you are asking them to do the same thing of course.

All the other stuff in this thread, and the thing about 30 goals in a season you mention in your OP is related to the corner bug, an exploitation of a flaw in the match engine, otherwise known as cheating.

No idea why Carrol isn't scoring if your lesser headers are, providing you are asking them to do the same thing of course.

All the other stuff in this thread, and the thing about 30 goals in a season you mention in your OP is related to the corner bug, an exploitation of a flaw in the match engine, otherwise known as cheating.

Hasn't this been taken out on the 11.3 patch?

I am using the 11.3 patch, so I was thinking that my good luck at corners now isn't down to the bug! It was just the wierdness of my best header being the least effective at heading when it comes to corners when he has exactly the same instructions as someone with lower attributes who can bang them in.

put a player far post, and Carroll to mark the keeper. far post player will knock down, Carroll for the tap in :)

alternative method is to put him in near post.. Stop using far post corner since 11.3 is out..

Well I use the tactic with the best header (Höwedes) at the far post and the other defender (Papadopoulos) at the near post, plus a rather tall striker (Huntelaar) on the goalkeeper. I didn't score that many goals with it, but it shows about every corner that I get is a bit dangerous. Don't expect to score 30 goals from that since I only scored 5 with Höwedes.

Well try this:

Get Carrol to attack near post
6 players to lurk outside the area (dont use the set piece wizard)
2 players to stay back
inswinging corners aim near post.

I get a fair few goals doing this

Cheers for all the advice. Carroll has now scored a few goals from corners, I put this down to either
A: Using the attacking set pieces match preparation
B: He has been scoring in open play and his confidence is high.

Still, might try him on hassling the keeper with Phil Jones at the back post, that duo should put the frighteners on any defence......