penza

Reaction score
has anyone found effective PPM's by position to use? for example in FM16 shoot with power was quite effective in essense. anybody else found anything interesting?

has anyone found effective PPM's by position to use? for example in FM16 shoot with power was quite effective in essense. anybody else found anything interesting?

Bit out of the box but one of my favourites is the 'Stops Play' PPM for defensive midfielders (or central midfielders with defend duty). Seems a rare one too. I think Bastian Schweinsteiger and Axel Witsel have it. Quite useful for slow building possession teams and also killing games off with the ball later in games I've found. Schweini very useful off the bench and in away games for me.

I like to use wingers and get my full backs involved, so I have central midfielders Switch Ball to Opposite Flank Often. With them both on Attack duty, I want the left full back to Get Forward Whenever Possible and the right winger to Hug the Touchline. The left winger and the right back are both on Support duty and each of these four players has instructions to cross from specific areas of the pitch and to aim those crosses to specific players or parts of the penalty area.

If you use Whipped Crosses, having your main striker Try First Time Shots can be useful. There are specific marking and tackling PPMs that you can assign to your central defenders. If you play with one up-front, then the ability to Play With Back to Goal works well. False-9s are particularly useful if they are good at long range passes; they can release an Advanced Forward in on-goal for a Shoots With Power type finish.

Last edited:
ok thanks! I was wondering would you say it is best to just remove all PPM's so that it doesn't conflict with the tactic's instructions or would it be best to train your players' PPM's to suit the tactic?

ok thanks! I was wondering would you say it is best to just remove all PPM's so that it doesn't conflict with the tactic's instructions or would it be best to train your players' PPM's to suit the tactic?

Tactics are instructions that you, as a manager, would give to them as a team. You've seen videos of managers standing in the dressing room, waving their arms around and calling everyone 'Smudger' while the players are still putting their socks on and breaking the kit lady's heart by rubbing Vaporub over otherwise perfectly clean shirts! Player Instructions & PPMs are those one-to-one chats that, typically, the Assistant Manager gives while fumbling with a stack of laminated flipcharts that actually require four arms to operate properly. The player nods (whilst chewing gum, usually) like he's taking in every word (but he isn't really listening).

Or, to put it another way, Tactics tell a player where to go; Player Instructions & PPMs tell him how to get there... and what to do when he gets there.

You have to decide how you want your team to play and decide for yourself whether any instruction - at the team or individual level - is contradicting your managerial vision. Or you can do a Plug-&-Play download (...so I gather).

Think, also, about how your players relate to each other. If a full back is overlapping, who is he overlapping and what does that player do while being overlapped? Is someone else covering for the full back in the defensive area? Who can benefit by playing one-twos to get further forward - and who should he play those one-twos with? If I'm a full back crossing from deep, where am I aiming the cross and who should I expect to get on the end of it? Does he favour crosses on the ground or at head height? If I want to counter attack quickly, what's the fastest way to get my team from my penalty area to the opposition's... who is best at distributing the ball from the crowded defensive area to a space where my fastest attackers can attack the final third? Where are those fastest attackers and where are they running to? What options do they have in possession, if their forward progress is halted? How does the team deal with having the attack halted? Can they switch direction and find another way? Are they comfortable in possession, in the opposition's half, and patient enough to work an alternative route to a shooting opportunity? If we have the ball on the right wing but there are defenders in the way, where is the space? Who is lurking to exploit it and how do we get the ball to them, quickly? Are we leaving ourselves exposed at the back or do we have enough Steady Eddie's - like a DM - keeping everybody honest? Notice how full backs on Support duty don't take part in counter attacks - they move up to offer width only when that initial attack has been stopped and your team has the ball in the opposition's half. Look for the triangles of those players who can move the ball into dangerous areas for you.

Sorry - brevity is not my strong point. Lots to ponder, though.

Last edited:
Tactics are instructions that you, as a manager, would give to them as a team. You've seen videos of managers standing in the dressing room, waving their arms around and calling everyone 'Smudger' while the players are still putting their socks on and breaking the kit lady's heart by rubbing Vaporub over otherwise perfectly clean shirts! Player Instructions & PPMs are those one-to-one chats that, typically, the Assistant Manager gives while fumbling with a stack of laminated flipcharts that actually require four arms to operate properly. The player nods (whilst chewing gum, usually) like he's taking in every word (but he isn't really listening).

Or, to put it another way, Tactics tell a player where to go; Player Instructions & PPMs tell him how to get there... and what to do when he gets there.

You have to decide how you want your team to play and decide for yourself whether any instruction - at the team or individual level - is contradicting your managerial vision. Or you can do a Plug-&-Play download (...so I gather).

Think, also, about how your players relate to each other. If a full back is overlapping, who is he overlapping and what does that player do while being overlapped? Is someone else covering for the full back in the defensive area? Who can benefit by playing one-twos to get further forward - and who should he play those one-twos with? If I'm a full back crossing from deep, where am I aiming the cross and who should I expect to get on the end of it? Does he favour crosses on the ground or at head height? If I want to counter attack quickly, what's the fastest way to get my team from my penalty area to the opposition's... who is best at distributing the ball from the crowded defensive area to a space where my fastest attackers can attack the final third? Where are those fastest attackers and where are they running to? What options do they have in possession, if their forward progress is halted? How does the team deal with having the attack halted? Can they switch direction and find another way? Are they comfortable in possession, in the opposition's half, and patient enough to work an alternative route to a shooting opportunity? If we have the ball on the right wing but there are defenders in the way, where is the space? Who is lurking to exploit it and how do we get the ball to them, quickly? Are we leaving ourselves exposed at the back or do we have enough Steady Eddie's - like a DM - keeping everybody honest? Notice how full backs on Support duty don't take part in counter attacks - they move up to offer width only when that initial attack has been stopped and your team has the ball in the opposition's half. Look for the triangles of those players who can move the ball into dangerous areas for you.

Sorry - brevity is not my strong point. Lots to ponder, though.

amazing response thank you very much makes sense.