Best strikers in a possession (control) Formation

England66

Reaction score
Playing as United in the first season with Pr0's transfer updates and i'm playing a possession based game with a 433 formation. Know matter who plays up front they are useless. Ibra can't do ****, Martial is just a flop and rooney the less said the better. It's got to the point where rashford is outperforming them and that's not in a good way. I can't seem to get any of them to perform with any role. I am looking for a striker who plays well in a possession based system that is going to score roughly 25 goals in the prem as i'm looking to win the Prem.

Any advice would be helpful. I have put some screenshots below to show the formation and how it's played.

View attachment 140067View attachment 140066

Try AML- Inside Forward-Support, AMR-Inside Forward-Attack and Striker- Target Man-Support.

Instructions....Take off more expressive and work ball into box and exploit the flanks

Needless to say this should be in the tactics thread probably.

I'm no expert but a poacher in a possession tactic doesn't make sense, I'd change that to a DLF or a False 9 (if you struggle for PIs check out TFF or zyndar's tactics they use them extremely well). Think about it, many possession based teams play with a striker that drops back, or without a striker at all, a poacher is someone who hangs of the shoulder of the last defender e.g Vardy

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needless to say this should be in the tactics thread probably.

I'm no expert but a poacher in a possession tactic doesn't make sense, I'd change that to a DLF or a False 9 (if you struggle for PIs check out TFF or zyndar's tactics they use them extremely well). Think about it, many possession based teams play with a striker that drops back, or without a striker at all, a poacher is someone who hangs of the shoulder of the last defender e.g Vardy

Hope this helps

I've tried the DLF and F9 - it works for a possession based tactic however it leaves the box empty and means that the team takes a lot of long shots which isn't what I want. I want a way that the striker will stay in the box and just wait for the opportunity to arise. I think in a sense I want them to play like Suarez for barca in that he will stretch the defence, and occasionally come short but majority of the time will occupy the centre backs. I find that Ibra is almost nullifying himself with lack of movement or any type of threatening run.

I've tried the DLF and F9 - it works for a possession based tactic however it leaves the box empty and means that the team takes a lot of long shots which isn't what I want. I want a way that the striker will stay in the box and just wait for the opportunity to arise. I think in a sense I want them to play like Suarez for barca in that he will stretch the defence, and occasionally come short but majority of the time will occupy the centre backs. I find that Ibra is almost nullifying himself with lack of movement or any type of threatening run.

I get exactly what you mean, what I would do is take a look at zyndar's Obsidian and Ferenc Puska's tactics, they have the striker play in a similar way to what you want. Striker drops deep, collects the ball, distributes it and then pushes forward to the box. It would be a good starting point to see how they play :)

I get exactly what you mean, what I would do is take a look at zyndar's Obsidian and Ferenc Puska's tactics, they have the striker play in a similar way to what you want. Striker drops deep, collects the ball, distributes it and then pushes forward to the box. It would be a good starting point to see how they play :)

Do they try and retain possession with the game. My point for this was trying to emulate the way Barcelona play atm with Mata playing the role of messi in it and as you can see the way it plays is somewhat similar. The only problem I seem to have with it as I say is the striker never performs no matter who it is and I concede to 1 shot. I think there is a balancing problem to do with possession tactics. The team struggles to convert chances of the striker into an opportunity for goal. The striker is always useless as I mentioned and for someone with Ibra's attributes should be smashing the league.

Try AML- Inside Forward-Support, AMR-Inside Forward-Attack and Striker- Target Man-Support.

Instructions....Take off more expressive and work ball into box and exploit the flanks

Thanks for the advice. Is there anyway I can keep the right side as a AP as I'm trying to emulate the barca play of this season.

Do they try and retain possession with the game. My point for this was trying to emulate the way Barcelona play atm with Mata playing the role of messi in it and as you can see the way it plays is somewhat similar. The only problem I seem to have with it as I say is the striker never performs no matter who it is and I concede to 1 shot. I think there is a balancing problem to do with possession tactics. The team struggles to convert chances of the striker into an opportunity for goal. The striker is always useless as I mentioned and for someone with Ibra's attributes should be smashing the league.

Yeah I get around 60% plus in most games, even if you don't fully use their tactic you can at least see how they set up their forwards to help you out

Keeper to Roll the Ball Out to Full Backs; Play Out of Defence; Exploit Both Flanks; Look For Overlap; Retain Possession; High Tempo; Control & Flexible - with option to switch to Attack & Fluid.

Stagger your attack slightly, and aim your crosses accordingly - think about where the ball is going to go and who is going to be there to receive it/bash it into the goal:

Left Back_Attack - Cross From Byline, Aim Crosses at Target Man
Right Back_Support - Cross From Deep, Aim Crosses at Centre
Inside Forward_Support - Cross From Deep, Aim Crosses at Far Post
Advanced Playmaker_Attack - Cross from Byline, Aim Crosses at Target Man
Target Man_Support - Move Into Channels, Shoot More Often
All three central midfielders - Switch the Ball to Opposite Flank (PPM)
Most creative midfielder - Try Killer Balls Often (PPM), More Risky Passes

Can Rooney and Depay Shoot From Distance?

Decide whether your team should Whip Crosses or Float them, depending on the aerial/heading ability of your Target Man. I think you have the option to Mix it, too.

I'd prefer to have Morgan Schneiderlin as a Ball Winning Midfielder in the M(C) position, with Carrick quarter backing from behind him as a Deep Lying Playmaker or whichever such role suits him best. I found with Southampton (with Wanyama and Clasie) that when you dominate possession, it's better to have the more aggressive tackler in the M(C) line where he can engage the opposition that bit higher up the pitch. Then your DM is free to pick up any lose balls and re-distribute it to your wide men quickly, to put you back on the attack. Where you are likely to be on the back foot a bit more, you might prefer to switch the tackler into the DM slot.

Last edited:
You are playing control which is a v attacking mentality with an inbuilt high line and then you are adding play higher. Why?

Also one of the 2 ifs should be on support.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk