cakey

Reaction score
I know this will have differant opinions but in general what formation and instructions do you think are best on fm13?
Ive tried differant tactics but none really stand out as an excellent tactic, 442 I thought was good but wasn't consistent for me lost then won then lost again, 4-2-3-1 seemed good attacking but conceded too many goals and 4-1-2-3 with inside forwards done me good in the championship with cardiff but then not consistent in the premiership, basically I've tried differant tactics and ideas from this site but nothing seems to be working?

Its really more about team instructions rather than formations and finding the right instructions for the right formation. The fact you're chopping and changing all the time really wont help.

Yeh I know what u are saying can't seem to find the right balance with formation and instruction, and I have been leaving the formations become pretty fluid before I change and play with it

I had a similar problem to you when i first started playing fm 13. I think it depends on the players at your disposal. Look at the squad depth on the reports page of your team. This should hel give you a basic idea for the right formation. For example in my save as man utd my DMs weren't the best so I avoided playing any and also rarely played and mrs and mls due to the players being better playing as amrs and amls.

Also check where you could improve squad using the squad depth. Another feature to use is the comparison page i think. This can help tell you what your teams strengths and weaknesses are. For example if you havent got the best players at passing the ball i wouldnt recommend playing shorter passes but more direct. If your strikers arent the best at jumping then not to really float crosses in to the box but drill them.

Other things to keep an eye on is players' morale which is key to this years version. Also try and watch the games you're playing as you will need to make tacticl changes to cover any potential weak links that the opposition players are exploiting and vice versa.

Oh and i almost forgot about your scouts opposition report. I always go through this. Look at what formation the opposition concede the most against and take a look where the opposition gets their assists from the most so you can avoid them being effecrive part and look at where the assists come from the goals they are conceding.

That's all i can think of atm i hope this helps and im sure there'll be other shrewder and more experienced tacticians they'll add more to this and correct me where i am wrong

- Look at the squad. What are your strengths ? Weaknesses ?

- Knowing this, what kind of football would suit a team like this ?

- Then, what kind of formation suits the squad ?

When you know this, you put it together and see if its actually a balanced tactic.
Example: If you have playesr suited for an attacking high pressing approach BUT the squad by position is better suited for a deep 4231 with DMCs, then its not a good combo. etc etc

What about things like instructions for marking,closing down stuff like that what's best in general defensively?