liamt

Reaction score
Just started a new save with liverpool and was wondering what was the best formation you could use to seek nice and attractive football but also a tactic that wins games aswell. Cheers

Moved. Next time, please browse around the forum/read the postingrules

Cheers

Have a think about the strengths in the squad you have.

You have quality centre backs in Daniel Agger (BPD), skrtel and Coates with decent cover from Carragher and Kelly. I personally sell Skrtel and keep Agger and Coates as first choice. Coates is a beast in the air.

Lucas is one of the better defensive midfielders you will find, though he is the only out and out DM in the first team to begin with. He is also an effective CM(BWM) so you can utilise him in formations without a DM.

Henderson and Allen are both pretty solid squad players for the CM roles with good work rates and in Henderson's case great stamina. I've found Shelvey is pretty awesome as a CM(AP).

Gerrard's best position is AMC and you also have Coutinho, Suso and Shelvey who play there though you can also play them in a wide AM role.

Options up front are borini, Suarez and Sturridge. I've personally found that the best of the 3 as a single forward is Suarez (though he isn't as good in game as he should be). Sturridge is immensely frustrating as he is pretty under developed apart from his physical stats and shoots from everywhere on the park. Borini is a bit much of a poacher to be up front by himself - he lacks strength too.

Based on these players I think you have 3 broad options for formations-

A:4-5-1 (4 across back, a DM, 2x CM, AML and AMR, and a CF)
B:4-2-3-1 deep (4 across back, 2x DM, AML AMC and AMR, and a CF)
C:4-2-3-1 (back 4, 2x CM, 3x AM, CF)

Problems with these:
A: you're not catering for the players best as AMC, though you now have Lucas as DM and a DM is great for defensive robustness. Set CMS to runs from deep to fill space ahead if then in attack and link with forward players. I would try CMs as BWM(s) and AP(a), with the DM as anchorman.
B: caters for Lucas and the AMC players, though you don't have a natural DLP to be the other DM. Perhaps convert Allen or buy one.
C: caters for AMC but there is a hole between your midfield and defense. consider setting one CM as BWM and the other as DLP with defensive mentality (sitting back to hold space and spray passes while the BWM charges around.

I personally went with 4-5-1 with wingbacks, inside forwards and a DLF. It is quite aesthetically pleasing to watch though I have struggled with getting the CF role working.
I replicated the tactic with 3 separate strategies - attacking, control and counter. Attacking for home, control for away or when underdog at home, counter when significantly outclassed. I've found that you want the tempo reasonably high, and I've left passing in default as shorter as an option was frustrating - they wouldn't get anywhere. High pressing for attacking and control, zonal marking, hard tackling, drill crosses. default creative freedom. Attacking is fluid, control fluid or balanced, counter balanced or rigid.

For the attacking strategy I push the fullbacks into wingback positions and have then hug touchline.

Signings have also affected my tactics. U bought Wanyama as a DM cover but he has proved to be an absolute beast of a BWM. Wins so much ball, scores from range and a lot of assists.

I use Borini, Suso and coutinho as inside forwards (Borini IF(R) and actually Coutinho/as AP(L)). Suarez as DLF.

I have been trialling a TM(a) as CF, having bought Libor Kozak, and setting wingbacks to attack and cross ain TM. It has been successful, with good strength up front and in set pieces with good link up play with CMs running from deep and IF cutting inside. so much so that in considering retaining Carroll for season 2! The one weakness that I do need to rectify is that the current crossing of the WB isn't good enough.

Anyway, I hope this gives you some ideas. I'm by no means a pro - indeed, this is ny first forum post!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2