Best way to manage in the lower leagues?

DavidCfc

Reaction score
I've never really managed in the lower leagues on FM, I usually play as teams that are favourites to win in the top divisions but I decided to start an unemployed save and my first job is Peterhead in the Scottish Third Division, but I have no idea how to manage them.

What's the best way to play in the lower leagues since the players aren't exactly magicians with a ball? What's the best tactics to use/develop? What type of players should I be looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tactic wise you want to keep things simple as you're not going to have the best of players to work with. i'd suggest either a 442 or maybe a 451 if you want to play counter attacking. as the players aren't up to the sam standard as the higher leagues then it's best to keep creative freedom low and to stop them roaming from their positions as this will create gaps.

as for how to manage the club there are 2 main ways, the first is to replace the majority of teh squad with free agents that are of a higher quality and will generally demand slightly less wages. from what i can tell this way seems to be the preferred way as it allows you to get up the elagues quicker meaning you can start earning some proper amounts of money sooner.

the second way is to manage the club in a similar way to how it would be managed in real life, not replacing too many squad members each season, slowly molding the side into your own by brining in better payers over a number of season whilst keeping a closer eye on the finances.

thanks for the suggestions, any specific players i should be looking to bring in?

it really depends on the position that you're after however, in terms of strikers pablo counago will tear that level apart if he's willing to join you.

i m ayr in scottish first division guys i ve found so far that using the counter attack is better along with them stickin to thier positions and dropping the defensive line to deep playing wider and using the shout clear ball to flanks, only just started but its made a better difference so far i feel

if you're linked to a higher club in the championship or league one try to loan a couple of their players also look for free agents and find a decent scout that can look for potentially good players.

Don't forget to watch a few of the lesser top divisions youths, I managed to grab a few released players from wolves/west brom etc and they were actually quite decent with my eastleigh team in blue square south second season!

- Play 442 or 451
- Make match prep On very high and set as team work

Be very careful though with wages can get your self in administration at a quicker rate.

I by no means class my self as an FM expert but i found some of these actually helped me alot

Parent clubs can indeed be very useful. Even those youngster that will never make it in the Prem can be a huge boost to your lowly side, and you won't even have to pay their wages.

At doncastor rovers I signed McFadden smithies Rhodes and a Greek free agent cb

I sold hird dumbya( I think on spelling) and all other 3 stars

Played 41221 and won 87.5% of matches