Best way to stay interested with one save?

D33J91

Reaction score
Hi guys! Although this is the first FM I've played, I'm loving it and play it most days. However, I never seem to want to stick to one save and so have never even experienced any regens.

Ive done a season with Arsenal, Liverpool,, Southampton, PSG, BVB but for some reason I can never seem to stick with it, always starting a new save.

Any tips? Perhaps I should try a lower league team? (But I'd like to receive a fair amount of money each season so I can shape the squad). Any fairly decent lower league teams with a half decent budget and facilities? Oe tips non how to get the most out of a save?

I'd love to do 10 or so years with a team and poss start a story but I wouldn't wanna quit after a season. Thanks for any tips

Try a lower league team if you'd like.
Set goals for the save ( only use youth squad and do not purchase any players, give yourself X amount of years to win a certain trophy, etc. )
Get to know the save well so you become attached ( Be away this may make you not want to go to a new save.. :p )

The way I stay interested is trying to win things whilst making a handsome profit each year... My goal is always to make my team the number 1 in the world and also the richest at the same time... EG. In both my Porto and Napoli saves I have a balance of over 500million after 8 years and 10 years. Also, try and breed players through your academy rather than buying ready made players as this way you are more attached which keeps you interested

I personally always find foreign teams much more enjoyable, and always try to pick a mid table side that may be ushing for europe but not expected to challenge for top honours right away. These used to be the likes of Dortmund, PSG and Fiorentina, but the first two have had a huge rise in fortunes in recent years, and I have a loyalty to them through FM so can't bring myself to play in those leagues :( It's also a nice challenge to restore former greats to glory, such as Torino, Leeds United or Nottingham Forest.

Also, every year I play a save as an unemployed manager with sunday league rep. These are usually the most enjoyable - it's a different sort of challenge but very rewarding in the long term and really helps to keep me interested in the save.

I'd suggest trying teams such as Braga, Sporting Lisbon, Lazio, Parma, Borussia Monchengladbach, Feyenoord, Leverkusen etc as a greater challenge than those that you have been before

I personally can't hold a save for more than a season if I'm not using Liverpool.

Sign a lot of youngsters and regens. I get so attached to them that I can't turn back.

Sign a lot of youngsters and regens. I get so attached to them that I can't turn back.

This is what I do. If only David Watts, Kevin MacGill and Nathan Winter were real. Rotherham could be a real force

This is what I do. If only David Watts, Kevin MacGill and Nathan Winter were real. Rotherham could be a real force
Nathan Winter!!! That's my son!!! Well atleast in my save he was haha. My ingame son. :p

What I do sometimes If I'm not compeating for a title or a cup, I pick the team that finished above me and try to out preform them in all comps. It keeps me going for at least another season.

I always find my first save to be my longest, Start out as Leeds United always and turn them into the richest team in the world and rank 1, Took me until 2021 this FM to reach that so now that game is on standby incase i want to return to it at some point, Since then i've tried saves with Newcastle, Liverpool, Blackpool, Aston Villa and QPR and not gone a season with none of them, The challenge is the same with them as with my Leeds save so cant keep me interested, The only way i can get interested is if i give myself a bigger challenge by dropping down even lower, Tried Bradford City and that was ok but i wanted something that was going to be a good few seasons before i even reached the top flight let alone had the stadium and funding to be a force.

Now i'm playing as my local side Bradford Park Avenue, Living across the road from the stadium i've not missed a home game for the past 19 years but this is the first time in FM i've been able to play as them without downloading the lower leagues, I think 20-30 season atleast before i'm anywhere near the top team in the world and even that is probably asking alot.

BSN - 1 season, BSP - 1 season, League 2 - 1-2 seasons, League one 1-2 season, Championship 2-3 seasons, So 6-9 season before reaching the premiership, To get the stadium upgrades, Facilities upgraded ect, I think it will be atleast 30 seasons before i have them as the top team in the world but it will keep me interested, The only thing that could derail me is ofcourse getting sacked or a job offer from Leeds United, I just cant for the life of me turn down that job if its offered.

I like to build an academy and use only my reserve squad player as feeder to my main squad. This makes me thrill with the regens that come every year, since i need to buy all the best regens under 18. Im in my 4th season, and the only player that i have bought in the past 2 seasons was Neymar. All the others and young players and i have already 9 players in my main squad,

The only problem is that i now have dozens of great kids that i cannot use in the main squad and i have to sell them...

Always play your favorite team. If you don't have one then you're not a football fan then this game is not for you ;).

Always play your favorite team. If you don't have one then you're not a football fan then this game is not for you ;).

I disagree, i'm a toon fan but never play as them because i REFUSE to take orders from Mike Ashley.

Successful tactics with lower teams will keep you interested, in my second season with Norwich I found a good tactic, used it all season and finished 8th and got to semi final of capital one cup, 3rd season i tweaked the tactics slightly, my younger players I had bought in previous seasons were getting better and I finished 3rd an won capital one cup, now to try and do better, then ill try the tactic with a lower league side and see if I have success

Try and make profit. ive currently got 800m worth of player sales and 300m worth of purchases

Oh and also I do tend to start a new save quite often because ill watch football and then want to start as one of the teams I've just watched :p

I usually start following IRL the players and the team I'm managing. It works for me.

I've improved my knowledge of footy a lot thanks to CM and now FM.

I personally love starting at the bottom with a BSS team and try getting them to the top, because it just brings loads of challenges like when would be the best time to upgrade training facilities, stadium, etc.

I also like to focus on youth players and sell them on. Tbh in lower leagues, when I have money with a team, I just buy all the best players and move up through the divisions and then focus on my youth when I can make serious money off them and pay compensation for all the best youth players.

I like to take big clubs back to the top as well, or maybe pick **** teams with big stadiums and get them to the top.