Best way to structure a front 3 that will need to do a lot on their own???

pleming

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my back 8... I can flip between a 3-4 and a 4-3 depending on opposition formation, but I'm struggling to get consistent goals from my front three.

I've gone with two IFx and a DLFx/CFx/AF... and also with a AMx/APx/ENG/SS with two forwards... I've even gone with a Striker, Wide man and an attack mid, in various calibrations...

The most success I had was with a IFA, SS and a DLFA... But that was after I left Palermo for Juve, and Juve was silly good at that point (Moise Keane was 27 and just... stupid good at the LIFA role). I've struggled with getting other sides to get that to work.

In my head, I imagine it with an ENG, and two CFx, or one forward and one wide man.

I am playing fluid counter attack against better teams or equal opposition on the road, and control posession against lesser sides.

I seem to crush the lesser sides no worries, and the fluid counter is fairly successful against bigger sides. I get enough return (some draws and an occasional win) but am not getting unrealistic results.

The trouble is against teams at my level. If I go counter, I can't score. If I try posession, I can't score.

Do I need a 3rd tactic for equal opposition? Something between counter/control? I don't love the tiki taka setups. My squad is usually more physical than technical, especially my central midfielders.

Thanks for any ideas on how to get 3 roles up front to work!