Reaction score
I am attempting to recreate this system in FM to see how it goes. The system places huge physical demands on players, so I am not sure how it would translate to the lower leagues.

Basically, Bielsa's 3-3-1-3 is designed for a high tempo, high pressing attack. The three at the back can morph into a more standard four against one striker formations (two CBs, two WBs).

Here are the standard positions/lines:

GK
CB, CB, CB
DM
ML, MR
AMC
LF, ST, RF

The shape in midfield is a wide diamond on paper that will contract with the movement of the players. However, the interesting part is that you will actually set the wide midfielders to cut inside. The trick to playing such an aggressive tactic is to drive your opposition into spaces they don't want to be in.

The ML and MR will be the wingbacks against single striker formations (Vidal and Isla for Chile usually).

The central center back is the only player on the pitch who has no freedom to support attacking moves. The outside center backs should be capable ball players and they have the freedom to support the midfield in attack. With such aggression, it is an attack that is meant to overload the opposition.

The outside attacking players (AML, AMR) can be wingers or in cutters. The attacking shape never changes based on the opponent. Is is always "un enganche y tres punta." One playmaker and three forwards.

The obvious weakness of this tactic is vulnerability to the counter, but this is where the high pressing and mental/physical attributes of your players are paramount. You need attacking players with sufficient aggression and these can be tough to find. Players like Dirk Kuyt, Alexis Sanchez, Artem Milevskyi, Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard are ideal for this style. In general, you need industrial qualities across the pitch. The idea is that you get to your opponent before they get to you. The attacking players should lead the team in fouls.

I will add screenshots as I continue to add information to this thread so you can see how this is translating in the game.

EDIT- Accidentally deleted by club save for this and will instead first design this with a national team. I will post a screenshot later this evening of my formation.

Last edited:
it wont work with lower sides, but then that isnt the point with this tactic.im a massive fan of bielsa, so am lookin forward to this. good luck with it mate

it wont work with lower sides, but then that isnt the point with this tactic.im a massive fan of bielsa, so am lookin forward to this. good luck with it mate

are you a huge fan of bielsa because of what he did to the Chilean national team ;)

Sounds interesting, but I think like Madsheep said it wouldn't work in the lower leagues, probably due to less physical and mental ability compared to the higher leagues, and also technical.

Good luck with it however, if you need any tactical help I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

are you a huge fan of bielsa because of what he did to the Chilean national team ;)
lol, no liked him from before when he tried to do it with argentina, but even more with chile ( i had them down as dark horse for the world cup)
ditto what max said about tactical advice. there is a great article on them an zonalmarking.net, will try and find the link for you

Sounds interesting, but I think like Madsheep said it wouldn't work in the lower leagues, probably due to less physical and mental ability compared to the higher leagues, and also technical.

Good luck with it however, if you need any tactical help I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

Yeah, not really for the lower leagues but it might work if the players have good physical/mental in relation to the comp. It will be worth an experiment. I will go and try it once I see how it does at a relatively modest top league side like Werder.

I am attempting to recreate this system in FM with club teams to see how it goes. The system places huge physical demands on players, so I am not sure how it would translate to the lower leagues.

I will be setting up with Werder Bremen first. Bremen has a decent set of players for this formation to start with, but I'll have to hit the free transfers and spend the 5m euros I have to fill spots.

Basically, Bielsa's 3-3-1-3 is designed for a high tempo, high pressing attack. The three at the back can morph into a more standard four against one striker formations (two CBs, two WBs).

Here are the standard positions/lines:

GK
CB, CB, CB
DM
ML, MR
AMC, AML, AMR
ST

The shape in midfield is a wide diamond on paper that will contract with the movement of the players. However, the interesting part is that you will actually set the wide midfielders to cut inside. The trick to playing such an aggressive tactic is to drive your opposition into spaces they don't want to be in.

The ML and MR will be the wingbacks against single striker formations (Vidal and Isla for Chile usually).

The central center back is the only player on the pitch who has no freedom to support attacking moves. The outside center backs should be capable ball players and they have the freedom to support the midfield in attack. With such aggression, it is an attack that is meant to overload the opposition.

The outside attacking players (AML, AMR) can be wingers or in cutters. The attacking shape never changes based on the opponent. Is is always "un enganche y tres punta." One playmaker and three forwards.

The obvious weakness of this tactic is vulnerability to the counter, but this is where the high pressing and mental/physical attributes of your players are paramount. You need attacking players with sufficient aggression and these can be tough to find. Players like Dirk Kuyt, Alexis Sanchez, Artem Milevskyi, Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard are ideal for this style. In general, you need industrial qualities across the pitch. The idea is that you get to your opponent before they get to you. The attacking players should lead the team in fouls.

I will add screenshots as I continue to add information to this thread so you can see how this is translating in the game.

You got the tactic wrong, heres how it looks like:

chile.png

some thing like that thats a quick sketch

That's what I said it was. I said the wide attackers could be wingers or in cutters. Whether you play them all the way up or slightly more withdrawn. Chile usually has a fairly standard winger on the left side (Mark Gonzalez) with Sanchez on the right as an in cutter.

Just thought I'd point out that in Bielsa's 3-3-1-3, the wingers are actually wingers. The wingbacks make the outside-in runs. The wingers hug the line.

have a good read of this, it will help you a lot

Just thought I'd point out that in Bielsa's 3-3-1-3, the wingers are actually wingers. The wingbacks make the outside-in runs. The wingers hug the line.

Sanchez has freedom on the right, so I would not classify him as a strict winger. He plays a lot like Lionel Messi does for Barcelona when he's on the right.

The dif is,messi cut inside alot more than sanchez,messi cuts more around the 16 box,sanchez cuts stright to the near post
Mostly beacuse messi is left and sanchez right.

I think it will be impossible to re-crate what bielsa does for chile in FM...all of the players have so much freedom, floating around wherever, it wouldn't really work...the way they press as well and the fact that when they lose the ball, everyone tries to get it back and drops deep, players wouldn't do that in FM...the roles of Sanchez and Bosujear (or whoever plays on the left) would be so hard to get right, they play together in an attacking trio, sometimes really deep, sometimes not, cutting in and out all the time, playing so high up, then really helping in defense..FM doesn't really let a player do that kind of thing ...it would be impossible to create bielsa's mad but genius tactics on FM..but good luck to anyone that tries, I love chile's style - apart from when they get a lil too agressive

So i have made a slight sketch of the tactic, and maybe everyone can help me out with it

So i have made a slight sketch of the tactic, and maybe everyone can help me out with it

I will work on this with you. I'll have some screenshots ready in a few hours. I deleted my club save on accident and will start with a national team instead to get the results on the board quicker.

I've decided to actually run the tactic with Chile (novel idea, yeah?).

Watch this space as I will post the full tactic once I've got some results. You will notice Vidal and Isla are wingbacks instead of wide mids in the 3 CB alignment. That is due to FM not giving their versatility the full credit as LM and RM. Either way, they play the same. Just as the attacking wingers can be pushed up all the way or as AMs. Again, overall playing mentality will not change whether the wingers are "flexed" or not.

Both general variations of the alignment posted below (always one more CB than opponent has ST).