BlackBerry Systems Failure

• Thread starter Thread starter Jake
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 2K

Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have just seen that the ongoing crash involving the BIS (consumer email, data and messaging) services offered by BlackBerry has now spread to the USA, and has also affected BES (enterprise email and data) services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15276481

I have a BB, and I'm fairly put out by all this. I'm not 'a teenager glued to BBM' as the media is portraying the majority of BlackBerry users to be.

I need a SECURE, reliable, mobile source of email and also company policy and integration (the secure services, company policy and instant integration is something that android/apple can't offer as they only make handsets, the don't provide corporate hardware like Blackberry, anyway, thats for another thread at another time.)

With news of this spread to other parts of the world, RIM's reasons for the failure are pretty see through. If a switch has failed and the backup failed after that, then fixing these problems (as they claimed to have done) should have taken hours. They are putting the current problems down to the data backlog which needs to be cleared. A data backlog shouldn't cause the problem to continue to spread. It's fairly obvious IMO that RIM has been hacked.

Anonymous on the face of it should be backing RIM for refusing to shut down BBM during the recent London riots, although RIM are still are large corporation, and as such are a legitimate target for any hacking group. The two other options; corporate sabotage, and sovereign sabotage are a lot more sinister. If the Govt. has decided to intervene and crash the servers due to RIM's recent refusals to co-operate then my calls to Vodafone about this problem are a serious waste of time, only some spooks at MI5 can tell me what i need to know.

Use this thread to discuss what is currently happening, any frustrations you might have, although keep the teenage 'waaaaaaaah how will i function without BBM??!?!?!?!!!' to a minimum please.

I am in the process of talking to Vodafone about at least a partial refund on the bill for the 5 BB's that my business runs. This is something i will pursue much more doggedly if the problem continues beyond the next 36 hours or so. Paying the amount of money i do just to be able to use texts and calls that can be gotten much cheaper elsewhere is not on. If i have success in this area i will pass the message on so others can pursue their network providers for a credit.

Last edited:
Being down for such a long time is going to massively damage BB's image.

I have a HTC and have no problems whatsoever. My Facebook homepage is full of moaners 'ah BBM down agen wtf'.

I laugh.

I don't own a Blackberry (since I'm both a teenager and not one of those dicks who think they 'need' a BB even though they're 16) but this seems pretty major. I'd be ****** off if my phone stopped offering all of the features which made me buy it all of a sudden.

The encryption that Blackberry offers is one of the major advantages over its rivals, so if they've been hacked it'll be a big blow to their image.

I give it five minutes before someone points out they own an iPhone/HTC/Megahappy'o'mobile and laughs about BB being compromised.

EDIT: Oh no wait, it's already happened.

For a major company at RIM who know they have a millions of users this is a farce. I doubt they have been hacked, there is no reason to hack it? Although this is one of the times where I laugh at the people who stole my BB.

Glad I went from BB to iPhone last month then ;)

Only reason I care about this is because of Alex's constant ******** on my news feed on Facebook. ;)

I don't own a Blackberry (since I'm both a teenager and not one of those dicks who think they 'need' a BB even though they're 16) but this seems pretty major. I'd be ****** off if my phone stopped offering all of the features which made me buy it all of a sudden.

The encryption that Blackberry offers is one of the major advantages over its rivals, so if they've been hacked it'll be a big blow to their image.

I give it five minutes before someone points out they own an iPhone/HTC/Megahappy'o'mobile and laughs about BB being compromised.

EDIT: Oh no wait, it's already happened.

Someone posted on my facebook that i should have dropped the poor mans Iphone long ago, in light of the recent problems. I replied with an article linking to the Iphone 4's laughable signal problems. I am willing to stick with BB for now, as long as the problem is sorted in a reasonable amount of time. This is the first loss i've experienced in 3 years of use. Every phone has it's problems, every tech company is at risk of loss of service, or worse, hacking. I don't want this thread to turn into an iphone/BB/android/Megahappy'o'mobile (i enjoyed that one) discussion.

Given RIM's record for updating their customers about this problem, i wouldn't expect another announcement until tomorrow.

For a major company at RIM who know they have a millions of users this is a farce. I doubt they have been hacked, there is no reason to hack it? Although this is one of the times where I laugh at the people who stole my BB.

Sovereign sabotage. Governments worldwide have a big motive to disrupt RIM's services. RIM refused to co-operate with recent government requests to switch off its service during the London riots to help stop rioters from communicating. Similar requests were not fulfilled during the Arab Spring.

Only reason I care about this is because of Alex's constant ******** on my news feed on Facebook. ;)

Two statuses.. Two!! In two days, about such a big issue, I'd say that's pretty **** good ;)

Someone posted on my facebook that i should have dropped the poor mans Iphone long ago, in light of the recent problems. I replied with an article linking to the Iphone 4's laughable signal problems. I am willing to stick with BB for now, as long as the problem is sorted in a reasonable amount of time. This is the first loss i've experienced in 3 years of use. Every phone has it's problems, every tech company is at risk of loss of service, or worse, hacking. I don't want this thread to turn into an iphone/BB/android/Megahappy'o'mobile (i enjoyed that one) discussion.

Agreed on all counts. I just feel that iPhones don't really offer anything unique: I owned (before I lost my iPod) an iPod touch and a regular phone, which did all an iPhone could do, just for less. Blackberrys on the other hand have the major advantage of encrypted messages.

People didn't stop using the PSN because of the hacking scandal, and that was far bigger. I see no reason why Blackberrys should suffer from this, but I have little doubt they will, as the sad truth is that the general public read headlines and not much else.

As a side note:

Mike and Mike. like this.

**** sakes guys, get some unique names

I have a Blackberry. I am a teenager. I do not have BBM. Don't know why everyone is ******** and moaning about not having BBM, just text, it's practically free!

Being down for such a long time is going to massively damage BB's image.

Yeah you're right, it will damage it massively. For about two weeks then everyone will forget about it.

I have a Blackberry. I am a teenager. I do not have BBM. Don't know why everyone is ******** and moaning about not having BBM, just text, it's practically free!

I've gone back to calls and texts, thats not a problem, i called more than i used BBM anyway. The loss of email is my major problem. The media has seriously skewed this story to make every BB user into a whingy 16 year old who can't function without BBM. RIM products are still primarily business orientated, so the BBC's stance on this is ******* me off.

I though BBM was a core app that's un-installable?

Yeah you're right, it will damage it massively. For about two weeks then everyone will forget about it.

Do you honestly think that all the big corporate companies that use BB will forget this in a hurry?

I have sincere doubts.

I only got a Blackberry like 2 months ago, i've loved it since this week .. I don't understand anything about phones though.. hopefully whatever **** is happening with the BB will resolve itself soon..

20101106004038.jpg

Meh, every tech firm has difficulties at some point or another. I would lol if their service goes out for a similar time as PSN did.

Back