Blau und Wei? ein Leben Lang - an FC Schalke 04

samillyroy

Reaction score
FC Schalke 04

Fc-Schalke-04-Logo.jpg

As I am currently living in Germany, I decided it would be interesting to go back to one of my favourite FM teams, Schalke. They are a team with plenty of quality but are currently in the shadow of European Champions FC Bayern Munich and their fierce local rivals Borussia Dortmund.

The biggest challenge awaiting the new manager is bringing home the Bundesliga, as despite having won the German Championships 7 times, they have never won the top division under it's current guise.

With pre-season coming up, here's a short run-down on the first XI of the Koenigsblauen:

Goalkeeper:

34. Timo Hildebrand (34 years old, German)
Timo is a player that has been around German and European football for a long time and comes with a great deal of experience. His weakness however has always been his inability in aerial situations meaning his position will certainly be one that is under intense scrutiny under the new management.

Defence:

22. Atsuto Uchida (25 years old, Japanese)
One of a number of Japanese players currently plying their trade in the Bundesliga, "Uchi" is a popular player at the Veltins-Arena. Has pace and works extremely hard down the right flank. There are question marks over his marking, however.

4. Benedikt Howedes (25 years old, German)
Benni has been at the club since his youth and has grown to become a very established Bundesliga centre-back. Has very few weaknesses and his impressive development over the last couple of years has seen a number of call-ups to the German national team.

14. Kyriakos Papadopoulos (21 years old, Greek)
Papadopoulos made a very successful start to his Schalke career but has spent more than a year out with injury. He will be hoping that his recovery marks a road to becoming a very accomplished career, as his earlier potential may have suggested.

23. Christian Fuchs (27 years old, Austrian)Fuchs is an archetypal wing-back, great energy and bombs up and down the left flank delivering teasing crosses into the box. He is a vital part of the Austrian national team too but he has been criticised for his defensive shortcomings.

Midfield: 12. Marco Hoeger (23 years old, German)
Hoeger is coming on well as a player in the Schalke midfield, showing strong technical abilities matched by a real intelligence in the middle of the park. Whilst not necessarily considered first choice at the moment, he has a lot of potential.

33. Roman Neustaedter (25 years old, German)
After helping Moenchengladbach to Champions League qualification, he then joined Schalke last year and was so impressive he earned a couple of call-ups to the national side. Has a great future ahead of him and Schalke will be looking to keep hold of their midfield lynch-pin.

10. Julian Draxler (19 years old, German)
The one everybody is talking about. Draxler is one of the standout players of a wonderful generation of attacking German players. Has great pace and technical ability and a superb long shot, and Schalke will want to keep hold of him for as long as possible.

9. Kevin-Prince Boateng (26 years old, Ghanaian)
The most high-profile transfer of the summer, as the half-brother of Bayern Munich's Jerome joined from AC Milan to return to the country of his birth. Clearly a top class player and his arrival could spark a dawn of success at the Gelsenkirchen club.

17. Jefferson Farfan (28 years old, Peruvian)
Farfan has been a stalwart at Schalke over recent years, and despite being linked with moves away, he has stuck at the club that has served him so well. Will be vital again this campaign if Schalke are to be successful.

Striker:25. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (29 years old, Dutch)
Schalke's worst form over recent campaigns has been when this man has been out injured and they will need him firing on all cylinders if they are to be successful. A world-class striker on his day.

I'm looking forward to trying my hand at Schalke again and bringing through their impressive young stars. Will deal with the transfers and pre-season in the next update. Bis dann!​

Pre-Season

This pre-season we faced a number of European opponents as we warmed up for the campaign. I worked the team hard on my new tactics and also focused a lot on our set piece work, something that could give us an edge over the course of the season.

Zenit St. Petersburg 1:1 FC Schalke 04
Matip (66)

En Avant de Guingamp 0:4 FC Schalke 04
Szalai (13, 37), Leipertz (78), Fuchs (88)

Boulogne 1:0 FC Schalke 04

Arles-Avignon 1:2 FC Schalke 04
Meyer (63), Draxler (85)

KSV Westerlo 2:4 FC Schalke 04
Huntelaar (17, 39), Clemens (71), Santana (80)

Overall, some decent results and some encouraging performances from a number of players. The quality of my second team is also encouraging, with youngsters Leipertz, Kaan Ayhan and Rene Klingenburg all seeing action and performing well. I am pleased with the quality of players available to me ahead of the new season.

Here is the squad list that has been submitted for the Bundesliga, potentially the final list with transfers looking unlikely:

GK
1. Ralf Fahrmann
34. Timo Hildebrand
36. Lars Unnerstall

DF
2. Tim Hoogland
4. Benedikt Howedes
5. Felipe Santana
6. Sead Kolasinac
14. Kyriakos Papadopoulos
15. Dennis Aogo
22. Atsuto Uchida
32. Joel Matip

MF
7. Maximilian Meyer
8. Leon Goretzka
9. Kevin-Prince Boateng
10. Julian Draxler
11. Christian Clemens
12. Marco Hoger
13. Jermaine Jones
17. Jefferson Farfan
23. Christian Fuchs
26. Kaan Ayhan
33. Roman Neustadter

AF
25. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar
27. Robert Leipertz
28. Adam Szalai​

From the squad, I believe that currently our three most important players are:

Julian Draxler
Klaas Jan-Huntelaar
Benedikt Howedes

I also want to mention the names of a couple of youngsters who are currently in the first team squad and have massive potential; I will be reporting on their development as the story progresses:

Leon Goretzka
s04_action_goretzka_628.jpg

Leon is one of the most highly rated young midfielders in Germany at the moment. At 18 he is already a highly accomplished midfielder and has time well and truly on his side.

Maximilian Meyer
meyer_schalke_getty-446343.jpg

Max is one of the brightest prospects in German football - wonderful agility and exceptional ball control, at 18 the sky is the limit.

Auf geht's! The season kicks off with a DFB-Pokal match before the Bundesliga gets underway! I will be doing monthly updates so stay tuned if you're interested!

Last edited:
AUGUST 2013
FC-Schalke-04.jpg

With pre-season over, the season really kicked off with matches in the DFB-Pokal, Bundesliga and the Champions League. The biggest piece of news though was that ahead of the Pokal game, Julian Draxler broke his leg in training and will miss the entire Hinrunde of the Bundesliga season. I countered this on the short term by signing Alexander Esswein on the cheap to fill his spot on the team but his loss could be a big blow as the season progresses.

Rathenow 0:5 FC Schalke 04
DFB-Pokal 1st Round
Meyer (13, 14, 19), Farfan (31), Huntelaar (62)
10105_fca_42_658x370.jpg

Max Meyer filled the role vacated by Julian Draxler in this Pokal game with aplomb. Although playing as a winger, with support from Fuchs on the left he was able to cut inside often and ended up scoring a wonderful hat-trick. The 17-year old did his chances of a starting berth no harm with this performance. The rest of the team performed well as we showed a strong defensive performance, not allowing the minnows even a single shot on goal.

1. FC Nurnberg 0:5 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga
Farfan (1, 34, pen 63), Huntelaar (21), Boateng (70)
s04_scf_farfan_jubelt_920.variant628x353.jpg

We continued our good form with a highly polished performance against a poor Nurnberg side. We sat a little deeper to allow them to come onto us, but with our pace on the break we were simply too much for them. We got off to a great start in the first minute as Farfan's cross somehow flew in, before Huntelaar doubled the lead. Nurnberg continued to be frustrated by our defending, and we continued to catch them out on the break. A very strong display to start the campaign.

FC Schalke 04 3:0 Eintracht Frankfurt
1. Bundesliga
Farfan (7, 85), Boateng (79)
jefferson-farfan.jpg

An even more pleasing performance against a side who impressed many in the Bundesliga last season. Again we took an early lead through Farfan after just 7 minutes and from there we controlled the game. Frankfurt had a number of shots but they were constantly from difficult angles or long distance as we frustrated them. Boateng then finished them off before Farfan scored a wonderful team goal to add some gloss to the final result.

Grasshoppers 0:1 FC Schalke 04
UEFA Champions League, Best Placed Play-Off, 1st Leg
Esswein (15)
esswein_taetowierung_oma-5x4_Diashow.jpg

Alex Esswein scored our only goal as we secured a hard-fought first leg victory in this Champions League qualifier. I went for a full strength squad as we aimed to secure a comfortable first leg victory and while the one goal lead provides some comfort ahead of the next round, I had expected a little more. Esswein scored a great goal on his first start though, slamming home left footed from the angle after being played in by K-P Boateng.

SC Freiburg 1:1 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga
Papadopoulos (18)
12522_131215_spielbericht_papa_658x370.jpg

A strange match in a number of ways. We started with a strong team again but they were clearly feeling the effects of the midweek match as Freiburg looked to capitalise with some heavy pressing and decent possession football. Despite that we took the lead as Papapopoulos celebrated his first start back from injury with a goal at the back post. Freiburg continued to dominate, and we didn't even look dangerous on the counter-attack. Meyer came off at half-time for Dennis Aogo and the sub brought down Mehmedi in the box, and he stepped up to equalise. We improved but were dissapointing and deservedly only got a point out of the game.

FC Schalke 04 2:0 Grasshoppers
UEFA Champions League, Best Placed Play-Off, 2nd Leg
Esswein (2), Szalai (8)
Szalai_Ball_5x4_Diashow.jpg

We secured passage into the Champions League Group Stages with a good second leg performance against Grasshoppers. Christian Clemens was able to make his debut in order to give Jefferson Farfan a bit of a rest but it was Szalai who impressed the most. Starting in place of Huntelaar, he linked the attack and midfield well with some strong target man play. Firstly he laid off Esswein to score a cracking 25-yard shot before slotting home himself from inside the box after good work from K-P Boateng. We controlled the game from there and could have got more but I was pleased we were able to qualify with minimal fuss.

Overall, a great start to the season for the Koenigsblauen. The team have worked hard on the formations I've put together and I am pleased with the depth of the squad based on this first month's performances. Of course we will have much harder opponents to face this season but we look strong both in attack and defence and that bodes well, especially with Julian Draxler yet to come back and feature.

My player of the month has to be Jefferson Farfan who, despite being linked away, has affirmed his desire to stay at the Veltins-Arena and put in some world class performances. I hope he's able to keep that up for the rest of the campaign.

SEPTEMBER 2013

FC-Schalke-04.jpg

We couldn't complain about the first month, progress in the DFB-Pokal and Champions League albeit there was one dissapointing display against Freiburg in the Bundesliga. But we came into this month full of optimism and in great form.
That said, this month was made a lot more difficult by key injuries once more. In the game against Mainz we lost Kevin-Prince Boateng for several weeks after a crashing challenge by Svensson, whilst Max Meyer also missed the entire month and will miss most of October too. On top of that, top goalscorer Jefferson Farfan broke his arm against Galatasaray and Felipe Santana missed the whole month.

Hamburger SV 1:2 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga
Boateng (76), Fuchs (82)
Fussball-Kevin-Prince-Boateng-koepfte-den-FC-Schalke-zum-Sieg-gegen-Werder-Bremen.jpg

We showed great character in this game to come from behind and win. Rafael van der Vaart gave Hamburg the lead with a wonderful free-kick outside of the box, but it was entirely against the run of play. We were defending well and making ample opportunities but they were being wasted, namely by Adam Szalai and Leon Goretzka. We carried on pressing and upped our game in the second half and eventually got our just rewards. First Farfan broke free on the right and crossed in for Boateng to glance a header to level matters. Then 5 minutes later, Christian Fuchs lined up a free-kick from 25 yards and whistled it into the top corner. An excellent result as we move top of the Bundesliga.

FC Schalke 04 2:1 Galatasaray SK
UEFA Champions League Group Stage
Fuchs (80), Clemens (87)
231575hp2.jpg

We were again forced to come from behind in this match and we left it very late indeed but it was a fully deserved victory. Galatasaray scored from a free-kick with Hildebrand caught in no-man's land from the cross - another set piece conceded. That said, we have been defending very well from open play and we began to control the midfield, creating numerous opportunities. In the second half we finally took the lead when Fuchs, pushed up to the left wing, smashed home a half-volley from Esswein's knock down. With the comeback on, we pushed for the win and got it when Szalai expertly brought down a long ball on the counter and laid a ball for Clemens to chase on to and slam past Muslera. A deserved first 3 points.

FC Schalke 04 4:0 1. FSV Mainz 05
1. Bundesliga
Huntelaar (pen 21, pen 44, 71), Howedes (87)
s04_hsv_celeb_huntelaar_628.jpg

We continued our good form in the Bundesliga with a devastating performance against Mainz. Two penalties in the first half assured a comfortable lead as first Boateng and then Clemens won penalties which Huntelaar converted easily. We were well in control, running the midfield and dealing easily with the threat of Choupo-Moting. In the second half we assured a comfortable victory as Huntelaar first headed home from a corner before Howedes also powered in at the back post. A signal of intent.

FC Schalke 04 2:1 Hannover 96
DFB-Pokal, 2nd Round
Esswein (72), Fuchs (92)
20931270,16619549,highRes,DI30238_20121121.jpg

We were forced into extra time by Hannover in this cup tie but we were left wondering why it got that far in the first place. With no Farfan, Meyer, Draxler or Boateng, we were looking very short of creative players which probably played a part in our inability to create any real chances. We did control the midfield and possession though so it was a surprise when Sakai broke free after our own corner to slam past Hildebrand. We pressed the entire second half and Esswein scored a superb equaliser, controlling on the right before slamming home with his weaker foot off the crossbar. And that man Christian Fuchs swept home his second free-kick of the month to ensure passage to the next round.

Hertha BSC 2:2 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga
Hoger (45), Huntelaar (50)
15aa_15adcaa.jpeg

A third game of the week and the tired legs clearly showed in this match, but Hertha were gifted a point by a needless handball from captain Benedikt Howedes. Hertha took the lead when Papadopoulos lost his man and Allagui headed home for the lead. But we turned it round either side of half time; first Hoger got ahead of his man to convert Uchida's brilliant drilled cross before Hoger then slotted a wonderful through ball around the Hertha defence for Huntelaar to hit first time on the volley past Kraft. Ramos then swept home a penalty for Hertha after Howedes' handball. A decent point against an in form team but it could have been more.

The team have worked extremely hard this month and I have to be delighted with the fact that we are still unbeaten into our second month, especially considering our poor luck with injuries. We are hoping to welcome back Farfan, Boateng and Meyer in the next month so hopefully we can continue this good form with visits from Bayern and Dortmund to come in the next couple of months.

Here's a quick look at the league table:

1. Dortmund (Pld 7, Pts 18)
2. Hertha BSC (Pld 7, Pts 16)
3. FC Bayern (Pld 6, Pts 15)
4. FC Schalke 04 (Pld 6, Pts 14)
5. 1. FC Nurnberg (Pld 7, Pts 14)
6. Bayer Leverkusen 04 (Pld 7, Pts 13)

And my player for the month for October has to go to Austrian full-back Christian Fuchs. Despite being under transfer bid from AS Monaco we were able to hold onto him and despite his defensive short-comings, he is a potent weapon in our arsenal, especially with the absence of Draxler being felt in some games. His set-piece delivery and direct free-kicks are exceptional and have been vital in our good form this month. Long may that continue.​

Great start & really well laid out, Dissappointed you didn't go Hamburg lol good luck & keep it up.

Gd luck mate ..hope you do well as I have a soft spot for schalke

cheers boys! have been away over christmas but should move on again now. thanks for following :)

OCTOBER 2013
FC-Schalke-04.jpg

We had made a decent start to the season in all competitions but this month could be a defining one. With matches against Arsenal, Dortmund and Bayern Munchen it would be a month that would test our title credentials.
On the injury front we welcomed back Max Meyer into the first team as well as Jefferson Farfan, giving our squad a timely boost.

Viktoria Plzen 0:2 FC Schalke 04
Szalai (62), Hoger (64)
adam-szalai-schalke.jpg

I was pleased with this performance. With many fixtures coming in a short space of time it was important we kept up our focus. We played on the break and although it took us a little while to get the opener it was fully deserved. Goretzka and Szalai played a one-two on the edge of the box before the Hungarian unleashed a wonderful left foot shot into the roof of the net. Hoger then buried a goalmouth scramble following a free-kick to seal victory.

FC Schalke 04 1:1 VFB Stuttgart
1. Bundesliga
Huntelaar (68)
s04_md2_628.jpg

A dissapointing result for our title hopes. The game was slow to come to life with both teams struggling to get hold of the game before Martin Harnik cut inside of Fuchs and struck a beautiful shot into the corner. Huntelaar equalised under 10 minutes later and although we had the best of the late chances we couldn't kill off the game.

Borussia Dortmund 1:0 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga
25083086.cms

I couldn't have picked a worse team to lose my first game as Schalke manager against. Dortmund were worthy of their victory as they dominated us and could have scored even more. In the end Lewandowski's header on the brink of half-time was the decider and we could have no complaints. Another dissapointing display.

FC Schalke 04 2:0 Arsenal
Clemens (16), Boateng (80)
s04_bre_yes_boateng_628.jpg

A wonderful display at the Veltins-Arena keeps our 100% Champions League record in tact! We put on a wonderful counter-attacking display and were deserved victors. Arsenal kept possession around our box but could not penetrate the excellent Howedes and Papadopoulos and two break away goals won it, Clemens first finishing off first time after Goretzka's excellent cross-field pass before Boateng slotted home late on.

FC Schalke 04 2:1 VFL Wolfsburg
1. Bundesliga
Howedes (74), Huntelaar (77)
0,,17012481_303,00.jpg

An excellent turn around against a side in great form. Wolfsburg were just behind us in the league going into this game so we knew it was a big match. They took the lead against the run of play after quarter of an hour and we really struggled to make much headway. A number of substitutes changed the game, with Huntelaar and Hoger coming on to provide spark to the attack. Hoger's corner found Howedes to tuck home before that man Hoger was fouled in the box just minutes later, Huntelaar tucking home the penalty to complete a great turn around.

FC Schalke 04 3:0 FC Bayern Munchen
1. Bundesliga
Boateng o.g. (23), Szalai (31), Neustadter (85)
roman-neustaedter.jpg

An incredible performance against the reigning champions. Munich had won every game bar one in the league so far and were firm favourites for this match but we put in another disciplined display like against Arsenal to show we can contend with the very best. We were far more dangerous on the counter and defended expertly, with Szalai showing his qualities as a target man before Neustadter's stunning 25 yard volley sealed off the game. A great way to end the month.

What a way to finish the month with three back-to-back victories in all competitions. The loss against Dortmund was very dissapointing but we showed great character to bounce back. The victories against Arsenal and Munchen will live long in the memory but it was the turn around against Wolfsburg that showed the best of our qualities. I hope we can continue this form next month across all competitions.

A quick look at the Bundesliga table:

1. Dortmund (Pld 10, Pts 27)
2. Bayern Munchen (Pld 10, Pts 24)
3. FC Schalke 04 (Pld 10, Pts 21)
4. Hertha BSC (Pld 10, Pts 21)
5. VFB Stuttgart (Pld 10, Pts 16)
6. VFL Wolfsburg (Pld 10, Pts 15)

We climb one place in the table and although we are six points behind Dortmund at this stage, we are also six points clear of the Europa League spots. It's a decent start and we can only hope someone stops that Dortmund juggernaught at some point in the near future.

My player of the month has to be Roman Neustadter. The national team midfielder has been influential in the middle of the park and capped off some excellent team displays with a ferocious full volley against Munchen to win the game.​

I love the story and I am going to follow this story so keep up the good work, mate!