Blyth Spartans - Spirit of the North East

Final Quarter of the 21/22 Season

At the end of the last update we were on the cusp of a third straight promotion, an achievement very rarely witnessed in English football. So, did we manage it?

MARCH

march.PNG

Certainly not convincing, but 7 points this month means that promotion is almost guaranteed.

Target man centre back Mark McGuinness (20 JUMPING REACH!!) hit 7 league goals for the season with his double against Mansfield. Then came back to back losses on the road. Can we push over the line for promotion?

We only managed a paltry 4 goals this month, so our offensive players let us down in April. However midfielder Mitch Brundle played very solidly for us, as he has done all season.

1591758071790.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Mitch Brundle

APRIL

april.PNG

What a way to finish the season!

A win against Scunthorpe thanks to a penalty from Mr Consistent himself, Connor Dimaio, secures promotion. The win against Colchester thanks to an excellent Kieran Phillips - who has really come alive in the second half of the season - grants us our third league title in as many seasons. Up the Spartans!!

There can be no other player for POTM than our super stopper David Button. The former £4million man kept a clean sheet in every game this month. He leads the division in this department with 23 clean sheets in 44 league games!

1591758638336.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
David Button

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE

table.PNG

Amazingly all four teams beginning with 'B' get promoted :LOL:

Sadly that means Bristol Rovers also get promoted and I can't raid their side for their really good players.

morgan.PNG

burnett.PNG

But the job never stops and we provide a safety net to two talented youngsters released from two of the biggest clubs in the country.

TEAM OF THE SEASON + STATS

TOTS.PNG
stats.PNG

Super Connor Dimaio wins the fans' player of the year for the second year running, with top assister Ryan Haynes in second and young battering ram Mark McGuinness impressing in third.

Connor Hall manages to win top scorer despite being injured for nearly 4 months and is named young player of the season - yet somehow misses out of being in the team of the season?!?

dimaio POTY.PNG

And super Dimaio wins the the League Two player of the year award also. He is wanted by Oxford but it would take a very big bid for me to allow him to leave.

Onto League One you Spartans!

Howay Blyth!

Pre-Season 2022/23

So we prepare for League One, and this time I'm thinking more evolution rather than revolution for squad building.

That said, I think the difference in ability from League Two -> League One is much greater than that of Vanarama National -> League Two. Therefore I have added 12 new players :LOL:

We have had a healthy budget increase from the £23k weekly budget of last season to £36k this year, allowing us to bring in a new calibre of player to the club. What a change from the days of the VNN when the weekly budget was just £5k a week!

finances.PNG

Finances remain very healthy and steadily building over time. Whilst this may come under strain due to the wages of the new additions I have brought in, I think the increasing attendances can help cover the costs.

I imagine we may see a few sellout crowds in our 5,630 capacity Croft Park this season. Hopefully the board will consider another extension to the ground before committing to a new stadium too soon!

facilities.PNG

I have also finally got around to upgrading our still 'basic' training facilities, which were surely putting certain players off joining the club. It will take a while to gradually improve the infrastructure here!

CONTRACT RENEWALS

There were not many players for whom I had to make a contract decision, but we did extend 3 players contracts - all of which to provide cover to the first team.

Backup goalkeeper Louis Gray extended his stay into his fourth season at the Spartans (£275 p/w, until 2023); young left back Joe White will play his third season here also (£550 p/w, until 2023); and last season's third placer in the POTY awards Mark McGuinness receives a greatly deserved new deal (£600 p/w, until 2023).

One loan player remains from last season, and that is the excellent Dara O'Shea borrowed from West Brom (no wage contribution from us).

DEPARTURES

Just the 6 players leaving the club (aside from 4 loans expiring):

outs.PNG

outs p.2.PNG

Jermaine Anderson was going to be released but I managed to sort him a new club - at fellow L1 newbies Burton Albion. Denilson Carvalho and Aaron Martin, both loyal and dependable players for the club of the past few years leave for pastures new and for first team football.

Zach Dronfield didn't pull up any trees last year and at just 20 years old I felt that he'd benefit from first team football so he heads of to Wrexham in the VN.

Charlie Wiggett and Zak Mills were drawing attention and I was happy to capitalise on the interest and take a big profit on the players who had joined for free a year before. Wiggett has potential but was behind too many players in the pecking order and Mills was alright but turning 30, so I couldn't turn down £190k!

NEW SIGNINGS

12 new players in total to introduce you to, here they are:

ins.PNG

ins p.2.PNG

Not a penny spent in transfer fees as we bring in 9 free transfers and 3 more loans to join Dara O'Shea. Canny!

morgan.PNG

First up is young Welsh striker Tomos Morgan who signs a one year deal at Blyth after being released by Manchester United. I think he might surprise some of the fans by being more than a bit part player (like Kieran Phillips last year) and could become a first choice striker if he hits it off.

burnett.PNG

Similarly to Morgan, Andy Burnett joins after being released, this time by Chelsea. He will get some occasional game time and chances to impress but won't start often. I see him as quite a good inside forward with his passing and agility but we will see.

coxe.PNG

After Robbie McKenzie returned to Hull and Zak Mills was sold to Bristol Rovers, we needed a new first choice right back. That man is former Cardiff City and Wales u21 right back Cameron Coxe. Cameron is a solid full back who understands the game well and is at a good point in his career, so I'm happy with this.

mccormick.PNG

Midfielder Luke McCormick is another player released by Chelsea over the summer. He played in L1 on loan to Plymouth last season and did well, and is ready to have a new home. His work rate is unreal and he should appeal to our hardworking North-East supporters!

sheppard.PNG

Aston Villa loanee Marcus Sheppard is a real enigma of a player! One of the reasons I love regen/newgen players is because they sometimes have very interesting attribute combinations. I plan on using Marcus as a wide advanced playmaker (supported by an onrushing full back) to get the most out of his great technique, ability to get into space and to make things happen.

darcy.PNG

Ronan Darcy is probably quite well known to many lower league FM players and for good reason as he is a very good player, who often becomes available due to Bolton's financial situation. He is transfer listed for £550k but that is an imprudent sum for a club of our size. As Bolton are currently 'in debt', they were willing to loan him out provided we paid in full his £2,300 a week wages.

hunter.PNG

Former Fleetwood winger Ashley Hunter is a nice little pickup for us and will provide competition to both Ryan Broom and Marcus Sheppard.

marquis.PNG

Former Doncaster and Portsmouth striker John Marquis is a highly accomplished striker for L1 and is another great addition on a free transfer! I plan on using him as a bit of a battering ram - an upgrade on what Aaron Martin was for us.

toffolo.PNG

Once again left back Harry Toffolo is another amazing free transfer for Blyth! He didn't quite cut it for Championship side Huddersfield but he will be a big player here - he will compete with Ryan Haynes for the starting spot but he will probably will start most. Toffolo becomes our new highest earner on £2,800 a week.

branthwaite.PNG

The best signing of the summer - centre back Jarrad Branthwaite joins on loan from Everton and becomes the best player in League One according to the season preview! Jarrad hails from Carlisle, just an hour and a half drive away from Blyth. He will be massive for us this season. His physical stats are ridiculously good for L1.

brown.PNG

Another player released by Huddersfield, midfielder Reece Brown joins us on a free. I needed a new midfielder and I wanted someone to provide competition for Connor Dimaio in the regista position. Reece is a poor defensive player but is a brilliant playmaker - sort of like a quarterback.

little.PNG

Lastly, we bring in experienced right-back Mark Little to provide cover for Cameron Coxe. Little was cheap and was prepared to sign just a one year deal. At 33, he can help with experience and leadership alongside our other older heads in David Button, Tom Lees and John Marquis.

PRE-SEASON FIXTURES

preseason.PNG

A decent pre-season that includes a win on the road at Tynecastle as we beat Hearts.

We were even invited by our parent club Wolves to play in Matt Doherty's testimonial match (what an honour :LOL:) and gave them a good game.

I reckon that out of the 4 seasons played so far, the is the best squad assembled (pound for pound by division obviously) thus far. There are a lot of big sides in L1 this year - QPR, Sunderland, Charlton, Ipswich, Portsmouth, etc. - but I hope that we can sneak into the playoffs at least!

Howay Blyth!

First Quarter of the 22/23 Season

I'm not even going to try to deny it, we are struggling against the quality of our League One opposition. It's to be expected of course when you have gone up three divisions in as many years.

Issues so far have also included settling on a preferred tactic, injuries and team cohesion being way down. Nevertheless, we are in a solid position at the end of the update and their is a platform to build upon.

SQUAD AND TACTICS UPDATE

We now play using two different formations as to not become too predictable - the same narrow 442 I have used all the way through this save and also now the 4231 that I developed in my Aubervilliers save (albeit with some role changes for better balance):

tactic one.PNG
tactic two.PNG

1st Tactic Ideal Starting XI: David Button; Harry Toffolo, Jarrad Branthwaite, Dara O'Shea, Cameron Coxe; Connor Dimaio, Matt Crooks, Luke McCormick, Ronan Darcy; Tomos Morgan, John Marquis.

2nd Tactic Ideal Starting XI: David Button; Harry Toffolo, Dara O'Shea, Jarrad Branthwaite, Cameron Coxe; Matt Crooks, Luke McCormick, Marcus Sheppard, Ronan Darcy, Ashley Hunter; John Marquis.

Other Team Members: Louis Gray, Ryan Haynes, Joe White, Tom Lees, Mark McGuinness, Mark Little, Rhys Evans, Mitch Brundle, Reece Brown, Ryan Broom, Ryan Burnett, Kieran Phillips, Connor Hall.

JULY & AUGUST

august.PNG

Too. Many. Games! Seriously, how can you justify 9 games in a month? We picked up a few bad injuries as a result.

We had to play a few big sides in August and with the squad rotation we couldn't be consistent - resulting in a surprise defeat to Wycombe. However, we took no prisoners against Sunderland (it's first time we play in the same division as one of the NE's big three sides) and Charlton. Most positively though we progressed through 3 rounds of the Carabao Cup already beating Doncaster, Peterborough and then amazingly Premier League side Fulham 3-0 (first giantkilling)!

fulham game.PNG

Jarrad Branthwaite looks the real deal and has formed a great duo with Dara O'Shea already, but I must give POTM to David Button (or Davide de Buttonea, as I am now calling him). Big Dave kept a number of clean sheets and looked unbeatable at times in August.

1591924110634.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
David Button

record intake.PNG

The game against NE giants Sunderland also provided us with a massive cash boost, and shows the value of being in League One over League Two.

darcy injury.PNG

broom injury.PNG

hunter injury.PNG

The injuries just kept coming which didn't help at all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Box-to-Box Midfielder Crooks becomes a Spartan

1591924754788.png

After our mini injury crisis hit and with the midfield threadbare, I decided to re-enter the free agent market. Matt Crooks is a player I'm familiar with and has always impressed when I've seen him in real life - think of a League One version of Yaya Toure and you're close - so I jumped at the chance to bring him to Croft Park.

He can play very well in a number of roles: be it as a deep-lying playmaker with a bite; as a box-to-box engine; or as a n.10 getting behind the opposition's back line with a well timed run. I'm very pleased to have him and he joins on a 2 year deal on a £2,400 p/w contract.

crooks.PNG

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SEPTEMBER

september.PNG

A poor start to September lead to a few tweaks to our 4231 and by the Wigan and Walsall games we were firing on all cyclinders! I hope that this is finally a breakthrough.

The win against Wigan means that we have reached the Carabao Cup Quarter Final! Our reward for this is big tie against Leicester City.

QF.PNG

POTM could have gone to left back Harry Toffolo but he didn't play in enough games though he did well. I will give it instead to Reece Brown who showed his talents and an eye for a pass.

1591925923400.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Reece Brown

LEAGUE TABLE

table.PNG

The league table could be better but it could also be worse. 12 games in and 6 off the playoffs, I can't complain too much with that.

Hopefully things are now starting to click and we can hit one of our customary purple patches of form soon.

Howay Blyth!

Last edited:
Second Quarter of the 22/23 Season

Try as we might, we can't seem to get hold of any sort of form, and I'm starting to think that it's going to take at least a couple of seasons to reach the Championship.

OCTOBER

october.PNG

We are not too far away from being a good side at this level which is frustrating, as we fall to undeserved late defeats against Crewe and Bristol Rovers.

However I was very impressed by the manor of our convincing win over Ipswich. That game set the benchmark of how good we can be and we need to try and maintain it. Weirdly we seemed to have done well against the bigger sides so far but have lost more to the division's smaller clubs.

POTM goes to our BFG at centre back, young Mark McGuinness. On paper Mark should be fourth choice CB but his excellent performances - including 3 goals this month which means he is currently our top goalscorer - have cemented him in the side alongside Jarrad Branthwaite.

1592054673071.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Mark McGuinness

mcguinness NI cap.PNG

In fact he has been playing so well that he earned his senior debut for Northern Ireland. He followed up his debut with another appearance - a substitute appearance against England! That should do wonders for his development.

NOVEMBER

november.PNG

Annoyingly we exit the FA Cup at the hands of L2 side Cheltenham. Not bothered by exiting the Leasing.com Trophy but it might have been nice to have beaten our big city neighbours U23 side.

A solid win over Doncaster might have looked doubly good if only we have conceded the most pathetically poor own goal by centre back Tom Lees, on a rare starting opportunity for the former Sheff Wed man. He may not get another again after that!

I can't overstate how good David Button is playing right now in goal. If it wasn't for him we would be regularly conceding 3 or 4 goals a game so he is the deserved POTM again.

1592055379627.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
David Button

LEAGUE TABLE

table.PNG

We remain firmly a mid-table side but that could all change with either a good or bad run of form.

It's been perhaps the most interesting season so far as I've had to really think about my tactics and look into the match stats and analysis to try to figure out how we can improve. I hope we are close to turning that corner and making a charge towards the playoffs!

Howay Blyth!

Third Quarter of the 22/23 Season

Towards the end of this update things really started to click into place. The January transfer window really improved the team, and the team became perfectly fluid in my now preferred 4231 tactic from my Aubervilliers save.

Well, it took a while to get results, but you know what they say about tactics..

1592228708761.png

DECEMBER

december.PNG

Barring a late equaliser by AFC Wimbledon this was so close to the perfect month.

Just the one goal conceded reflects how good the defence of this team is right now - with Toffolo and Coxe at full back and Branthwaite partnering either O'Shea or McGuinness.

POTM goes to striker John Marquis, who FINALLY added to his solitary goal (a penalty too) scored on Sept 3rd with 3 this month. He has been disappointing but this was encouraging. I'm not sure if he suits our style of play if I'm honest.

1592229413307.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
John Marquis

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Last January I didn't change much and nearly paid the price in the league. This year I have been far more active, leading to 5 in (well, technically 4) and 3 out.

DEPARTURES

outs.PNG

Tom Lees and Kieran Phillips didn't perform well enough for me and I was happy to let them move on for a small fee.

I hadn't plan on selling Ryan Broom as he only joined in the January window of last year and did great in L2 for us. However, he had fallen behind young Andy Burnett and Ashley Hunter for the starting spot on the right wing and Portsmouth's £110k was tempting. We made a £40k profit on him and I'm confident I've replaced him better.

dimaio waterford.PNG

Then there is also this to report. After the change in regular formation Connor Dimaio has found game time very difficult to come by. He came to me to say that he had a pre-contract offer from Waterford in Ireland that would nearly quadruple his wages here and asked what to do. I told him to go for it. After two stellar seasons here super Dimaio deserves that kind of salary and will smash it in Ireland!

NEW SIGNINGS

Here are the new boys:

ins.PNG

I won't show the Darcy screenshot as he joined on loan at the beginning of the season, but with his contract running down at Bolton I needed to ensure he didn't renew, or sign anywhere else. He is a little bit inconsistent playing at AMC but he is very talented and I'm glad we've kept him.

lubala.PNG

Bez Lubala is Ryan Broom's replacement / upgrade! A really talented forward player IRL who shouldn't have been released by Birmingham but now is doing great at Crawley. He was playing very well for Crawley in game and with his contract running down, I pounced. I like that he can play left wing or right wing equally well and he should be a regular starter for me.

phillips.PNG

Neither John Marquis nor Tomos Morgan are consistent enough so I needed to act. I used our affiliate deal with Wolves to bring in Josh Phillips, who has a brilliant future ahead of him. We are lacking a clinical finisher and he looks to be just that.

mccarthy.PNG

I looked at the lower leagues and saw that Boston United had a youth prospect who was leading the divisions average rating and assist charts. I went straight to the board and asked them to make the deal happen and they struck an agreement at £83k. McCarthy is already so good that he can challenge Ronan Darcy for a starting spot in L1 at just 17 y/o. The sky is the limit!

mcc history.PNG

His amazing performances this season ^

lonwijk.PNG

Finally we use the Wolves link again to bring in depth at CB after Lees departures. Nigel Lonwijk is a former PSV graduate who signed for Wolves and looks a very solid defender who can compete for a starting spot next to Jarrad Branthwaite.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JANUARY

january.PNG

A bit of a ropey month this one!

We were unfortunate to bow out in the Carabao Cup Quarter Final to Leicester. It was nice to draw at the Stadium of Light to nearby giants Sunderland in front of nearly 35,000 people too. The result against Peterborough represented a corner being turned and showed how well we can play. It

POTM goes to the brilliant left back Harry Toffolo as he continues to add more assists whilst defending excellently.

1592231253078.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Harry Toffolo

FEBRUARY

february.PNG

After another near perfect month we have put ourselves in with a fighting chance of the playoffs or maybe more!

Some huge wins over Charlton and Portmsouth and also a good win over AFC Wimbledon who are very strong this season. Annoyingly we dropped a two goal lead at Home Park to draw with Plymouth.

POTM goes to the new boy wonder up top, Josh Phillips. JP has been the finisher that we have been crying out for and he hit 4 goals this month. I've changed the striker role to poacher and now we use our forward as a final ball destination as opposed to them contributing to open play.

He did so well that he also won the division's POTM award too...

JP POTM.PNG

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Josh Phillips

LEAGUE TABLE

table.PNG

Everything to play for and in our form I'm going for the automatic spots!

We play 2nd place QPR in April so that gap can be closed by 3 points. It's all about consistency now!

Howay Blyth!

Last edited:
Final Quarter of the 22/23 Season

Blyth Spartans - what a club! This has definitely been one of my favourite all time saves so far and this ending to the season was exhilarating to say the least!

Carry on reading to see if we made the playoffs...

MARCH

march.PNG

Yes! Another super consistent month puts us well inside the playoffs.

We have perfected our way of playing that suits our players and it is showing. I think the Ipswich result can be excused as it was away at a big side with some great players, but the other performances were on point.

POTM goes to our new tricky wide player Bez Lubala, who thrilled the Blyth punters with a couple of goals and a couple of assists also.

1592265129137.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Bez Lubala​

APRIL

After 2 games and 2 wins into April, we weren't just in the running for a playoff spot, but also well in the running for the 2nd spot and automatic promotion!

Things were so tight at the top that as many as 8 teams in total were in the running for automatic promotion. Even more crazy, there was only 2 points seperating 2nd and 7th place with only 4 games to play!

8 teams.PNG

We couldn't, could we?

april.PNG

That's right, the boys did it!!

A great result against fellow contender QPR and some other solid results coupled with bad form for the other sides meant that we were 2nd going into the final matchday despite a frustrating home draw to Walsall. On the final day we needed just a draw depending on how Portsmouth did (as long as they drew also).

final day promotion.PNG

Disaster struck on matchday as Salford's James McAtee put us two goals down at half time. The changing room was filled with despair. After giving them an aggressive rollicking, I sent them back out - already preparing myself mentally for the playoffs.

Then, suddenly we had a glimmer of hope, as Jarrad Branthwaite rose like a salmon from a deep free kick to head the ball off the far post and half the deficit. Absolutely carnage erupted in the Croft Park stands when, our best player all season, left back Harry Toffolo found a bit of space on the edge of the area and rifled it home. The Salford keeper Ojrzynski was having the game of his life so it needed to be a special goal, and it was!

A nervous wait ensued and after the game the call came over the tannoy system that Portsmouth had drawn 0-0 at home to Walsall, just like we had the game before! We were promoted again - Blyth Spartans were to compete in the Championship!

The performances of a certain central defender were key to this final month - loanee star Jarrad Branthwaite. He reached 9 goals for the season and absolutely deserves the POTM award.

1592266254961.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Jarrad Branthwaite

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE

table.PNG

Charlton are champions, with us 5 points behind. Shrewsbury and Blackpool both did well to make the playoffs but they and Portsmouth lost out to QPR.

TOTS L1.PNG

Toff POTS L1.PNG

David Button, Harry Toffolo and Jarrad Branthwaite all make the League One team of the season, and Harry Toffolo is named the Player of the Year winner as well as top assister!

BLYTH TEAM OF THE SEASON AWARDS & STATS

TOTS.PNG
EOS stats.PNG

Toffolo wins POTS, with Branthwaite and surprisingly Reece Brown close behind in 2nd and 3rd. Josh Phillips is top scorer despite only joining in January.

The team of the season is bugging me as Matt Crooks should be in ahead of Luke McCormack, and Ronan Darcy should be in ahead of Ryan Broom (who left in January).

So there we go, another year another promotion, but not a gallivanting title win like the fans have become used to - not that they are complaining!

I am now considered a 'legend' in the club info, alongside Blyth heros such as Robbie Dale, Dan Maguire and Eddie Alder. I will need to keep the fans onside next season as I anticipate with our budget it is going to be a struggle.

I have a 3 year plan for the Championship. 1st year, survival. 2nd, become established, improve the squad, and maybe challenge for the playoffs. 3rd, go all the way and reach the Premier League.

Let's get to it shall we?

Howay Blyth!

Pre-Season 23/24 - Preparing for the Championship!

As I said at the end of my last post I have a 3 year plan for the Championship - and I don't necessarily think it will be easy at all to even stay up this season!

The jump in quality from League One -> the Championship is arguably the biggest between any leagues in England. This is mostly due to the difference in money. In L1 you have some teams competing on very modest wage budgets such as Accrington or Rochdale. In the Championship however, half the division are operating on lower end Premier League budgets!

Our reputation is only 2 stars, which places us as an average L2 club in stature. This means that the big names aren't going to want to join us.

budgets.PNG

After having finished our transfer dealings this is how our wage budget looks. It's not bad, and it means that we have been able to bring in a star man on £6,500 per week (bigger than our entire weekly budget in the VNN).

However our annual salary spend is still by far the smallest in the league at £3.29M. In contrast, Southampton's is £55.31M! There is not going to be an easy progression here, we need to be clever with our transfers.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Two contracts renewed - young striker Tomos Morgan had interest from a heap of Championship sides but we extended his deal for another year (£675 p/w, until 2024). Also staying longer is last season's L1 POTS Harry Toffolo. Leeds were low-balling us with poor offers and his agent said in no uncertain terms that he needed a better deal. I agreed after last years performance and he gets a bumper new deal (£3.7k p/w, until 2026).

Two loan players stay with us for another year - centre back Nigel Lonwijk on loan from Wolves (no contribution due to affiliate), and wide playmaker Marcus Sheppard on loan from Aston Villa (£1.6k p/w). I really tried to bring Josh Phillips back on loan but he wasn't having it :cry:

DEPARTURES

outs.PNG

outs p2.PNG

I didn't seek to sell any of the outgoings but I believe that every player at this level has a price and can usually be replaced.

Marquis was poor last year (only 4 goals), Hunter kept getting injured and couldn't break into the 1st team and McCormick didn't show enough positional awareness in midfield for me and was a sloppy passer. I would have kept Coxe, but Ipswich came in on deadline day with a huge bid and I couldn't turn it down now that he was a backup player.Dimaio goes with our blessing to Ireland as one of the best players of the save so far. Dronfield returns to Wrexham on loan, this time in L2 after helping them to get promoted last year.

Of the released players McGuinnness, Brundle and Hall were all unlucky but they were limited at L1 level so no good for the Championship.

I agonised over giving David Button a new deal and I'm still not sure I made the right choice. At 34 he wanted £2.7k a week which seemed a lot, but in truth he was worth it as he was incredible last year. He has since been given that salary at Coventry, and we have a new younger n.1. Let's hope it works out!

NEW SIGNINGS

16 new players!!

ins p1.PNG

ins p2.PNG

I had a lot of difficulty with free transfers this summer as they all expected Championship wages which I couldn't offer them. Therefore we had to open the cheque book on a few occasions. Overall, I'm happy with our new squad. Bergvall and Foley are a couple of u23 transfers so I won't show their attributes.

JCH.PNG

I've been wanting to sign Jonson Clarke-Harris for two seasons now and I've finally got him! He may be 29 but he is a real handful up front. His high aggression means that he will compete for every ball and he can finish. Added bonus is that he can play as a wide target man on the left for me!

batista.PNG

I have to admit that I'd never heard of Diego Batista before but we picked up the talented former Benfica midfielder from the Portuguese second tier. He possesses enormous playmaking quality and can really help us to dominate possession even at this level. At a great age at 23 also.

kenny.PNG

I've been tracking 19 y/o Paul Kenny for two seasons now also. He came up through the ranks at L2 Fleetwood and this summer I made the move. If he develops well we could make a big profit, but I think he can already cut it in the Championship.

pearce.PNG

OK so yes I probably overspent (£325k) with Tom Pearce to only be a backup lol. But the market was not favouring us whatsoever, and he has the potential to be a good Championship player, and has resale potential on a 3 year deal.

sheron.PNG

Again I may have overspent on Nathan Sheron (£275k) but like Pearce he has good potential and can have resale value. We needed a ball-playing defender and Sheron is very comfortable with the ball. He is also an international with Cape Verde!

toure.PNG

We raided our neighbours Newcastle for this gem! Senegalese Yannick Toure is a very exciting forward who I think can score 15+ goals for us in the Championship, like Clarke-Harris. Newcastle will also pay £2.2k p/w of his wages. Welcome Yannick!

adam roberts.PNG

A low risk move to bring in Adam Roberts from Dover for just £7k. He had a hugely impressive year there in the VNS after being signed from Bala in the Welsh leagues. Has a poor personality but that can be mentored. Should provide cover occasionally, but mainly an u23 team player.

famewo.PNG

I'm not sure if Akin Famewo is ready for the Championship but he really was the best I could bring in on our budget - joining on a free after being released by Norwich. He hassled me on wages and I don't think he's worth the £4k p/w he's on. Might be one I look to make a profit on in a year's time perhaps.

kelleher.PNG

Welcome our new number one, Caoimhin Kelleher! The former Liverpool man is a true sweeper keeper and has the potential to be a top keeper for this level! He has huge boots to fill after the performances of David Button over the past two years. On big money at £3.9k p/w also.

kory roberts.PNG

I really like the look of Kory Roberts as a player. He was putting consistently good performances in at Walsall and he can play for me either as a sweeper at centre back or as the more reserved full back on the right (to balance with Toffolo going forward). He also becomes the new club captain thanks to his leadership!

evans.PNG

Owen Evans joins on a free transfer from Cheltenham as Kelleher's backup. He has solid attributes and can still grow, and he should push Kelleher on.

cakar.PNG

Getting Mehmet Cakar on loan from Manchester United appears to be a top deal! He is a world class one on one defender and has a really good cross on him also. He should really improve us on the right compared to the outgoing Cameron Coxe.

campbell.PNG

What a player to bring in for not having to pay any wages! Big thanks to Wolves for lending us Chem Campbell for the season. Campbell and Batista will form a formidable centre midfield partnership and I expect to see us edge the possession battle in most games now.

riley.PNG

Another brilliant loan freebie from Wolves! Stewart Riley is electric and a brilliant dribbler. I am going to play him as an attacking right winger with full license to attack his defender with the ball at every opportunity. Possibly the best of our summer dealings!

PRE-SEASON FIXTURES

preseason.PNG

All went well on a tour of Scotland, but we came crashing back to Earth at Bradford! Note the 5 goals scored in a game against St Mirren by new dangerman Stewart Riley!

The bookies predict us to finish in the bottom three which is understandable, but I think (and hope!) that we can keep ourselves just above that!

Howay Blyth!

First Quarter of the 23/24 Season: The Championship

Most of the new boys have settled in already and taken to our style of play, and we are surprising the established order of the Championship!

SQUAD AND TACTICS UPDATE

tactic.PNG

Ideal Starting XI: Caoimhin Kelleher; Harry Toffolo, Nathan Sheron, Nigel Lonwijk, Mehmet Cakar; Chem Campbell, Diego Batista, Yannick Toure, Denis McCarthy, Stewart Riley; Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Ideal Bench: Kory Roberts, Tom Pearce, Paul Kenny, Ronan Darcy, Bez Lubala, Marcus Sheppard, Tomos Morgan.

Other Squad Players: Owen Evans, Adam Roberts, Akin Famewo, Matt Crooks, Reece Brown, Emil Bergvall, Andy Burnett.

AUGUST

august.PNG

A very decent start to life in the Championship!

We exited the Carabao Cup in the first round after a tricky away tie to Derby County. The Fulham, Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday games were all remarkably similar as we drew all three after equalising to salvage a point. The final game of the month saw us grab a last minute (93rd) winner as Yannick Toure blasted the ball home to crush the Stoke supporters moods, after they had started the day in 1st position.

POTM goes to our new battling forward Jonson Clarke-Harris after he bagged 3 goals and assisted just as many too!

1592579804858.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Jonson Clarke-Harris

SEPTEMBER

september.PNG

More reliable finishing from our forwards in what was a balanced month for us.

A last minute goal for Middlesbrough handed us a late defeat at the Riverside Stadium in our first competitive fixture with our NE competitors. A brilliant win over a much admired Brentford side was somewhat overshadowed by a poor showing at an improving Hull City.

POTM goes to our new Senegalese forward Yannick Toure. The man signed from Newcastle has dovetailed excellently in our wide front three with Clarke-Harris and Stewart Riley, and this month bagged 3 goals and a couple of assists.

1592580162655.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Yannick Toure

OCTOBER

october.PNG

A brilliant month that I never expected! Not only did the boys get 12 out of the 15 available points but they also overcame the strongest side in the division, Southampton.

This match against Southampton needs special emphasis. The defense had an amazing month and the Sheron and Lonwijk partnership is really coming along. Nathan Sheron has really improved already and looks so comfortable bringing the ball out. The summer signing from Walsall is our POTM for October!

1592580561335.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Nathan Sheron

LEAGUE TABLE

table.PNG

A very solid start has put fans at ease in regards to relegation fears propelled by pundits before a ball had been kicked.

Amazingly we are level on points with Stoke who are in the playoffs. I don't expect this to last, but our target may well now be a top half finish! We are keeping the ball against most of the division barring the top sides, and look like we actually might hold our own.

As long as Toure and Clarke-Harris keep hitting the back of the net we will be absolutely fine!

Howay Blyth!

Second Quarter of the 23/24 Season: The Championship

Really going from strength to strength now...

I got an email from the Blyth chairman saying that they had given permission to Sunderland to make an official approach for my services.

sunderland offer.PNG

I dialled Tony's number right away.

"Tony, what is this ****? Sunderland?! We left them behind in L1 for goodness sake!"

"Yes I know, I know, but I with all you have done... I thought you might have felt it was time..."

"It's time when I say it's time Tony, I'm not leaving! They haven't even got the same chairman from the Netflix drama. Now working for that guy, well that might have been a different story!"

"Hahaha, £3M for Will Grigg wasn't it?

"It sure was Tony, incredible TV! Anyways, I've got to go. The Spartans are going to be Europe without me now are they?"

NOVEMBER

november.PNG

A good month, but losing to Rotherham in the manner that we did hurt!

We were 2-1 up going into the last ten minutes before Joshua Kayode completed his hattrick. Damnit. However a convincing couple of away wins at Swansea and Reading definitely soften the blow.

POTM goes to our little Irish magician Denis McCarthy. The 18 y/o playmaker is really improving all the time and has taken Ronan Darcy's starting spot. I think that as long as he gets regular game time he could make it in the Premier League for sure. His only weakness perhaps is his lack of explosive pace - which I'm working on in training!

McCarthy POTM nov.PNG

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Denis McCarthy

DECEMBER

december.PNG

Here we go then! Nearly a perfect month but we collapsed at home to Birmingham after being 2-0 up at half time...

Consistently solid performances and there is a real togetherness in the dressing room right now. The best win of the month is the 3-0 against the then Championship leaders in Huddersfield, who were boasting a strike force of Mohamed Daramy and Troy Parrott!

POTM again goes to Jonson Clarke-Harris, after he notched an amazing 7 goals this month! Jonson and Yannick Toure are already so close to reaching their target that I set them of 15 league goals this year - on 12 and 10 goals respectively.

1592708699805.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Jonson Clarke-Harris

LEAGUE TABLE

table.PNG

The league table is looking spectacular for all Spartans fans right now as if the club were to win it's game in hand, they would go top!

The infrastructure may be lagging way behind but the players are looking every bit the part and pundits are now starting to really consider the possibility that Blyth could go back to back all the way from the Vanarama National North league to the Premier League.

Journalists have pointed to the transfer strategy of the manager, highlighting the elements of 'moneyball' used in signing free agents and transfer listed players, only to sell them on a year later, make a profit, and to be replaced with other players who were not fully valued at their former clubs. Where they disagree, is whether the good form can last, and if the unknown quantity of Spartans might be figured out. The teams that have beat Blyth so far have largely exploited the lack of protection down the flanks and caught them on the counter. If others latch onto this, it might mean a disappointing second half to the season.

But for now, all is rosy for the Northumberland seasiders!

Howay Blyth!

What a season you're having! A long way to go, but you'd have to go on a pretty bad run for you to not finish in a playoff place. McCarthy doesn't look too bad either, not a bad £83k spent!

What a season you're having! A long way to go, but you'd have to go on a pretty bad run for you to not finish in a playoff place. McCarthy doesn't look too bad either, not a bad £83k spent!

Thank you mate!

Currently a few games into January and now top of the league having won the game in hand. Playoffs would still be great but given how well we have finished the last few seasons I believe I can do it again - the problem is that there isn't any money in the budget to strengthen this year...

McCarthy is quality for an 18y/o! Looking at his stats do you reckon he could make a Premier League player? My assistant says he's a 'good League One player' already

Thank you mate!

Currently a few games into January and now top of the league having won the game in hand. Playoffs would still be great but given how well we have finished the last few seasons I believe I can do it again - the problem is that there isn't any money in the budget to strengthen this year...

McCarthy is quality for an 18y/o! Looking at his stats do you reckon he could make a Premier League player? My assistant says he's a 'good League One player' already

The only thing I'd say is lacking is passing but that can be improved over time. Definitely think he could play a part for you in the Premier League once you make it

The only thing I'd say is lacking is passing but that can be improved over time. Definitely think he could play a part for you in the Premier League once you make it

We may not even still have him by then... he's wanted by Liverpool!

Third Quarter of the 23/24 Season: The Championship

There was some patchy form in this update but 2 big new signings to bring you - and I need them to play a big part for the remainder of the season!

batista injury.PNG

Things got off to a very bad start as our inspirational creative midfielder Diego Batista picked up a bad injury to keep him out for the best part of a couple of months.

JANUARY

january.PNG

Disappointing to lose 3 games in a month but in truth it was a month of tough fixtures.

The away 2-0 win over Forest is a big result as they sit in the playoffs, and after the win over Luton we briefly went top! I tried to park the bus against a strong Arsenal team featuring Almada, Esposito and Moussa Dembele but they still smashed us. Crystal Palace and Fulham were simply too strong and have some players from their Premier League days on big money, and we couldn't match them. I'm surprised that they are both midtable!

POTM goes to the very solid Chem Campbell in midfield. With his regular partner Diego Batista injured he had to pick up the creative burden but he did just that and got a couple of assists.

1592944183891.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Chem Campbell

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

I allowed two important players from last season's League One campaign to depart as they weren't getting any game time and I like to make income from transfer fees, as our budget is small enough as it is.

outs.PNG

Both players arrived on a free transfer a year and a half ago, so to get some great performances and to make a combined £225k profit is a big positive.

Reece Brown was a very technical player but lacked in his physical attributes. Matt Crooks was solid but more of a L1 player, and had just turned 30 y/o. Best of luck to both of them at their new sides!

BLYTH BRING IN CHILEAN LEGEND ARTURO VIDAL AND LOAN BENFICA WINGER

1592944621494.png
1592944666357.png

Anyone for a marquee signing?!

That's right, we have managed to persuade the Chilean powerhouse midfielder Arturo Vidal to bring his talents to the Northumberland coast! The legend is due to retire at the end of the season but wanted to play a little more before he hangs up his boots, and loved the idea of the challenge of getting Blyth to the Premier League. Also incoming is 22 y/o winger Tiago Gouveia, joining on loan from Benfica B until the end of the season.

vidal.PNG

As you can see his pace, stamina and strength have deserted him but his mental attributes are still world class! If we use him sparingly he can still have a great impact for us. I will also use him to mentor some of the younger lads, who no doubt will cling on to his every word!

gouveia.PNG

I felt that Marcus Sheppard had been disappointing on the left wing this season so I decided to bring in Tiago Gouveia for competition. He will have a former Benfica B teammate to help him settle with Diego Batista. I think he looks an exciting player with virtually no weaknesses to his game.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FEBRUARY

february.PNG

12 point gained in February but two more league games like last month where we have been convincingly beaten - but I guess that has to be expected considering our stature and budget!

Pleasingly both Gouveia and Vidal scored in their first two games. The wins over Stoke and Reading where important as they are both in and around the playoffs. Birmingham have an annoyingly strong side and have now taken 6 points from us this year, and I can't see us catching up them or Southampton for an automatic spot anymore.

POTM goes to Stewart Riley who has now fully learnt who to play his new role on the right wing. The loanee from Wolves offers us a lot of pace and direct dribbling but he could get even more goals if he can be a bit more composed.

riley feb POTM.PNG

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Stewart Riley

LEAGUE TABLE

table.PNG

Comfortably in the playoffs still but I feel we are losing touch from the top two, who are playing very well.

Our record this season against the other sides in the playoffs has been decent so I'm quietly confident that if we can keep key players healthy and in form then we could have a reasonable chance, in what usually tends to be a bit of a lottery!

Howay Blyth!

Just spent time catching up with this and what a story. Having spent 8 years living in Blyth it's good to see them doing so well!

Watch out for Gerard Butler yelling for the Spartans in a premier league ground near you soon!

1592991475339.png

Final Quarter of the 23/24 Season: The Championship

With the team having an outside chance of yet another automatic promotion, how would things unveil?

Well things started badly when Ronan Darcy picked up a discolated shoulder and was out for the 2 months...

darcy injury march.PNG

MARCH

march.PNG

Following a morale busting couple of results we managed to turn things around with a big win in the Championship's North-East clash against Boro.

Losing 4-1 to QPR was difficult as they aren't great for this level, and then we surrendered a 2-0 home lead to Rotherham. Fair play to the lads though as they turned it around with three consecutive wins to put us in a great mindset going into the end of the season.

POTM goes to left back Tom Pearce. When I signed him in the summer I fully expected him to play second fiddle to last season's player of the season winner Harry Toffolo, but Pearce has taken his place and has improved a decent amount too. He picked up and goal and a couple of assists this month on top of defending well.

1592992475661.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Tom Pearce

APRIL

april.PNG

What a month! After seven consecutive wins we go a point ahead of Birmingham (who have hit a rocky spell) and into 2nd place!

We were somewhat fortunate to have three of the four games played at home, and the away game at Barnsley who are struggling. However, the final game of the season is away to Southampton, who have been crowned champions....

POTM goes to centre back Nigel Lonwijk. The Wolves loanee has been superb this season at centre back with Nathan Sheron and this month he conceded only two goals, whilst also scoring two!

1592995463861.png

PLAYER OF THE MONTH -
Nigel Lonwijk

So... Going into the final day of the season, at probably the most difficult fixture of the lot, we needed to at least match Birmingham's result to guarantee a spot in football's richest league. Could Blyth really go back to back to the Premier League?

MAY

may.PNG

So, we predictably lost to Southampton to a late goal after giving it everything we had.

But wait...

luton game.PNG

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Luton you beautiful, beautiful people! Despite already having been relegated Luton pull out a huge performance to beat Birmingham 2-0 to mean that we had been promoted!

final day.PNG

Absolutely incredible scenes.

When I started the save my goal was to reach the Premier League eventually as previously my best save with Blyth was in FM14 getting them to the Championship. I never thought I could do it in back to back seasons!

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE

table.PNG

Huddersfield win the playoffs to join Blyth and Southampton in the land of the riches.

TOTS.PNG

Kelleher, Lonwijk and Clarke-Harris all make the Championship team of the season.

JCH top scorer.PNG

On top of that, JCH also wins the Championship top scorer! I feel vindicated for signing him even after my scouts told me he was only a L1 level striker - trust your instinct on a player if they fit your system and a role within it!

END OF THE SEASON AWARDS AND STATS

EOTS awards.PNG
EOTS stats.PNG

Bizarrely Jonson Clarke-Harris doesn't even make the fans top three choices in the POTS voting!

If I had a most improved award then there would be 3 very deserving nominees: namely Caoimhin Kelleher, Tom Pearce and Nathan Sheron. The defensive trio started the season written off by my scouts as bang average League One players at best but proved them completely wrong and turned in very high quality performances. Kelleher in particular looks capable of playing in the Premier League and I will keep the faith in him by not bringing in a new keeper.

Onto next season then. I really think we will struggle and I would bite the metaphorical hand off for that safe 17th place finish! Even with the Premier League cash windfall we are going to be up against it financially and there is the small matter of needing a new ground now that Croft Park doesn't meet requirements. But, as with every other step along this journey we just need to push on and keep doing what has got us here!

Howay Blyth!

Just spent time catching up with this and what a story. Having spent 8 years living in Blyth it's good to see them doing so well!

Watch out for Gerard Butler yelling for the Spartans in a premier league ground near you soon!

View attachment 508840

Thanks bud I appreciate it!

Haha love that - rumour has it that Gerard studied our very own Arturo Vidal for the role of Leonidas! ;)