Boro for the UEFA cup

Yeah it was a good comeback strong favourites to win it now I suspect.

yeah i watched it all, when they went 1-0 down i thought that was it but they showed great character to get 4, i'm not a boro fan but i jumped in the air when maccarone scored the 4th, they're defense worries me though, not sure if they are good enough to win it, hope they do.

I think Sevilla and Schalke are still in it so i reckon they would have to be favourites

Obviously McClaren has been playing FM06, 4-2-4 comeback bug.

On a serious note it was very impressive and it was nice to see Boro playing attacking football for a change, fully deserved.

In My opinion Boro should win it easy there squad is far stronger than the remaining sides. Schalke are nothing great we out played them last year even with our ****** team we had.

My prediction almost came true. After Boro went behind 0-1 I said that Boro would score in 89 minutes and then Basel would score the winner in injury time. So close :(

michael said:
their defense worries me though, not sure if they are good enough to win it, hope they do.

Their defence is definately worrying. After they scored the 4th somehow Basel still managed an attack where it was 3 of their players against 2 Boro defenders. Seriously what the **** where Boro doing at that point?!? But I think credit should be given to Schwarzer for making that save.

I was their...its one of those things that cant be described. Ill be honest, we had a couple of really good penatly shouts, and when they scored i thought that was it. but i duno...hard to describe how we managed to pull it off.
As soon as the hope started draining we suddenly bagged one via jimmy and then i felt that we had to win even in the 90th.

i agree with the defensive point made. we do wilt under pressure sometimes. but basel are a good team, and first half they were comfy. but we just kept going and going and going.

but to be honest we shown that we can save a game and defend to win, against roma. and then last night where we chased the game and scored to win. so we can win either way. i couldnt see scoring 3 or keeping a clean sheet :D

that really was a magnificent night....

on a side note, we went to the game quite early, at like 6/7 we seen the players and i called george boateng sexy, and shook vidukas hand...and you see its cos i shook his hand he bagged the brace :D

*************edit**

what was their big CB sent off for, i only seen aggro worthy for a yellow, was he booked before or did i miss what he did 2wice ?

Kris said:
In My opinion Boro should win it easy there squad is far stronger than the remaining sides. Schalke are nothing great we out played them last year even with our ****** team we had.

yeah,i think they can go ahead a win it. Boro Vs Sevilla cup final

OMG OMG what a night.

£20 well spent! and i sacrificed a week in magaluf to go to this, and i tell you it was worth it.

Sat in the Potter's bar before the match with my uncle, other uncle, and two cousins Matthew and Christopher we were talking, and the subject of predictions came up.

When my uncle malcolm asked Chris "no comment" was the reply, he doesn't like to predict scores, i however enjoy doing it (i actually predicted 4-0 to aston villa at the riverside earlier this season!).

"2-0 to basle i said"
"so 0-0 tonight, and they go through 2-0?" my uncle replied.
"no, we go out 4-0 on agg"

Obvisouly i was being a pessemist (that way, less dissapointed).

Started walking to stadium, about 7:10....was getting very nervous at this point....*** chewing boxer short nervous.

Long walk.......you know what im like, was knackered, and got seperated from the group at one point when i couldnt find money to give to programme seller (i wasn't missing out on having a program from a match this big).

Got in the stadium then (South stand), seemed pretty busy in the concourse, cousin, uncle and other cousin took turns to go to the toilet, so the others could hold their belongings, (my 2nd uncle had gone to his seat in the SE)..

When everyone was back from their toilet trip, we walked down pitchside :D.....looked at who was warming up...no cattermole? argh.

Basle seemed to be shooting at the goal, which had a keeper who was awful in, he couldnt move/save a thing. At this point i started to become a bit more positive about the outcome. Maybe we can do this. (Turns out that he wasnt in goal - gutted).

So kick off approaching, the players had finished warming up and went down the tunnel to have final preperations....

The team had been announced to the fans:

Schwarzer, Queudrue, Riggott, Southgate, Boateng, Rochemback, Downing, Yakubu, Parnaby, Morrison, Viduka

Reasonably happy, would of liked Hasselbaink to start, but with Viduka seemingly on some form aswell, and Yakubu, is just quality so i was happy.

Out came the players to the tune of pigbag, the stadium was rather empty which was dissapointing, but the fans who had turned up were making the atmosphere amazing, the basle team was greeted with whistles and booes from sections of the boro crowd, i guess to make them more nervous, i myself did not boo, its nasty! :D

The boro team was announced again, every man greeted with a huge cheer from every fan in the ground (minus basles).

Kick Off!!

At most 14 seconds in and Yakubu was through! open goal at a tight angle, he doesn't look up and hits the side netting, maybe he was waiting for the whistle after a clash with the basle keeper? whatever it was he squandared(sp) a great chance to make it the perfect start to the game!

We were playign high tempo football with the backing of the 24k who decided to turn up!....the Yak had a penalty shout turned down (looked stone wall) but it was all going good, but then..

Franck Queudrue, my favourite player at the boro, clattered their midfielder (delgado?), free kick to basle, nearish the half way line, floated in, header across the box, Gareth has lost his man and its 1-0 to basle. You could hear everyone groan, as if it was all over, and if there is anyone out there who is saying they still thought we would win on aggregate, is lying. In my mind, we were out and the rest of the night would be sat watching entertaining football, but ultimately ending in dissapointment.

Oo how wrong i was....

Up step big fat mark viduka, after a, either deft touch or lucky passs by the Yak Viduka was through, though he had two men for company (one running across, and one behind him chasing back)...he still managed to unleash a shot, which, although looked pretty powerful, the keeper seemed to do poorly, got a finger to it but it was in the net!!! 1-1 Mark Viduka, still need 3 though!.

At this point, in my mind....we were still out, although we had managed 4 against Man united, and Bolton...i couldnt see us keeping them out...and they had a chance, the ball fell behind schwarzer, hit southgate and was eventualy lashed out for a corner, heart was crawling out of mouth at this point...we needed 3 more, but also to hold on and not let one in!

Nearer the end of the half, we had a penalty claim turned down gutted again....then the Yak was sent through, "he must" i thought, although the ball was on his (i believe) weaker left foot. But No! keeper saves it, "i could of scored that" i said....no doubt Lee and Sean will claim i couldnt of...they lie i seem to remember burying a few v their team in 5 a side.

Anyway, half time...1-1. Not too happy, still going out in my head and i bet, a few other peoples.

Went downstairs at half time, was meeting a friend...and wanted to see highlights.....

half time assesment

Poor defending to let them score, should of had one penalty (Viduka dived for his two claims), though one he could of just dived without flying arms and might have got it. Good goal by Vids though! C'mon Boro!

2nd Half

Took up my seat as the players came out, basle once again greeted by the jeers of the boro fans, then the boro players came out, full of energy to the pigbag tune.

Half time sub: Morrison off for Hasselbaink - Yes!

Not long into the half (56 mins?), and out of nowhere a killer ball by either the Boateng or Yak (depends which report you read, but im sure it was the Yak myself, may be wrong)....) split the defence, and Viduka latched onto it..his touch took it round the keeper, but a defender was rushing back to the line, maybe his touch was too strong, or just perfect but who cares? he stretched for it and managed to tuck it into the bottom corner....2-1 to the boro!!!!! 3-2 to Basle on Aggregate though...and at this point i was enjoying the game, but hardly any more positive we could do it.

The game then drained out...not much happening at either end...Rochemback was playing out of his skin, as was everyone.

Then, the defining moment.....their defender (bit lanky streak of ****), and their best player imo, was off, what for? appearing to raise his arm to boateng although on second viewing, it appears he was just going to rub boats head as an apology? anyway who cares, hes off...we have a man advantage.

Then, after about 78 mins, out of nowhere Hasselbaink received the ball....edge of the box, no run up what soever, and the ball swerved beautifully into the back of the net....

"OMG" i thought, maybe we could do this?!

The fans were buzzing, 12 mins to go we needed one more goal!.....

Franck got injured, and needed to come off.....but he played for a few mins whilst we attacked and it kept getting pinged back to him or Chris riggott (who was outstanding), eventually, Franck came off (with a dead leg i here)...and Massimo Maccarone was on! the useless twonk got a great reception, could he be the hero?.....

On he came at RW, and seemed to do nothing for the best part of his time on the pitch. Then, 89th minute up, the ball came to yakubu, who chested it down to Hasselbaink.....he then laid it off to Roch; "SHOOOOT" was the shout from the south standers, and probably, everyone in the ground wearing red. He did shoot and it was on target, the keeper saved though "ooah" was the cry, but who reacted quickest? omg it was Massimo, surely he cant shoot from there though? or could he....the ball seemed to trickle along towards the goal keeper, then all of a sudden the net bulged...

OMFG everyone went mental, people jumping about falling over chairs, i ended up in a group of me, my cousin adn 10 random people 16 seats to the left of where mine is!!!!!! jubilation! it was fantastic, we have done it!!!

Or have we....

No sooner had we stopped celebrating (well stopped jumping across every seat possible) Estuardo(sp) was though "**** we have blown it" i thought.....then skippy flew out and managed to save it, "hero again" i said to my cousin, but it was still a corner.

Young andrew taylor was brought on to replace the Yak....who jogged slowly off, to a huge ovation.

The corner was whipped in and flew around the box a bit...please dont let basle do to us what Wigan and Newcaslte (amongst others) have done this season already....score in stoppage time....

The ball came out and Maccarone brought it out...but we were given a free kick i believe.

Schwarzer took the free kick...and the ref blew...we have done it!

Basle players looked gutted, and their fans stunned. But the boro players and fans were going wild, i had to sit down, i was ****** lol.

-----------------------

OMG we are through, their is my match report, purely from memory so may have mixed bits up or spelt things wrong.

Oh yeah, to Romania we go.

Oh, and check this link for Ali Brownloee (co commentator on Century FM who cover all boro matches)

http://comeonboro.com/programme/basel/048015.htm

I quite enjoyed that.. :D All the 25odd thoguhsand could of come with a same story...ahh what a magical night.

I agree with the hugging bit like lol it was like a friggin moshpit when we scored the second we were hugging everyone in siight, except the old man next to us who stood there clapping, like he knew it was gonna happen all along.

u know, even if we win the uefa cup, am not shure if it can get any better than this. unless of course we do a liverpool, but then all boro fans over 75 will hav major heart problems.

I actually wasnt shure mas's goal went in, we were only 3 rows up so the angles werent so great, i seen the net bulge but i wasnt shure if it was the side netting or the back of the net, but when everyone went wild i was like "waaahhhahhahhaahh" and so on so forth...

whatta night....

wish i was jesus's mate (yn)...well reddders will do :D

redders the ali brownlee clip isnt working well, its skipping and ****, is it naturally **** or is it my comp again,as usual ?

We were v average tonight, bordering poo. Toothless up front, couldnt pass, rocca kept looking the other way and passing it square almost EVERYTIME and it was usually a poo square ball or sommat.

Still we got away with it, 1-0, ties well poised, but i can see them scoring at our place so we hav to hav to wh00p them ...