Borussia Dortmund - Keeping Jadon Sancho

Great first season - some great victories and love the Davies signing but as a Newcastle fan I am insulted that you reminded me that we spent £40m on that useless ****** Joelinton
Thanks man, glad you're enjoying this. I do feel for Geordies who have to watch him stumble about up front every week but its still crazy how much money they paid for him. Makes for fun comparisons too... for neutrals, at least.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

May 2020

Now that the end of the season is done, it's time to sit back, relax and watch some of my players (Erling Haaland mostly) win stuff at award shows.

Fan's Player of the Season - Erling Haaland

erling haaland.PNG

Young Player of the Season - Erling Haaland

Top Goalscorer - Erling Haaland

Highest Average Rating - Erling Haaland

Most Player of the Match Awards - Erling Haaland

Other non-Haaland related awards are as follows:

Most Assists - Marco Reus

marco reus.PNG

Signing of the Season - Alphonso Davies

alphonso davies.PNG

Curiously, Roman Burki has broken the Bundesliga clean sheet record. I'll give him credit there... but the defense carried him if I'm being honest.

satisfaction.PNG

This graph is really, really satisfying, by the way. We were top all season despite some scares, ending an 8 year period of Bayern domination.

Now onto the individual player analysis. Here, I've sat down with Chief Data Analyst Salvador Bernal to review every player's performances this season and evaluate if we need to make changes in the transfer window.

Goalkeeper - Sweeper Keeper

GK.PNG

In my opinon, this is our problem position. Burki's save percentage and clean sheet record were actually really good but he just couldn't make it count in big games. Hitz didn't impress when he played, leading to our early Pokal knockout. I think we'll spend big this summer while Zorc will look to offload both of them in the transfer window.

Right Back - Full Back

RB.PNG

Another position that could need strengthening. Piszczek is old, Meunier is average while our failure to loan out Passlack really hampered his development.

Center Back - Ball Playing CB

CB.PNG

My centre backs were superb. Kounde came in January and performed really well, while Hummels and Zagadou were solid all season. Both nabbed five goals from set pieces too.

Left Back - Wing Back

LB.PNG

I think this position is one of our most settled yet. Guerreiro left the club for big money to rot on United's bench (he must be regretting that decision now). In came Davies who ripped up the right flank. Katterbach will join him next season. I think I'll be selling Schulz - he's an alright player but he's definitely not worth his 63M valuation, so we'll look to profit off that.

Central Midfielder - Deep Lying Playmaker, Box to Box / Mezzala

CM.PNG

This is a position that we have a lot of players in. I could look to sell someone, especially with Spanish prospect Sergio Gomez coming back from loan (although my scouts don't rate him much) and Bellingham available for registration. Emre Can was especially disappointing and did not register a single assist and created the least chances out of all my midfielders.

Attacking Midfielder - Shadow Striker

AM.PNG

Marco Reus was great if inconsistent and Reiner was more or less non-existant. His Real Madrid loan is for two years but I'm not sure if we'll keep him on as Bellingham and Reyna are better than him in my opinion.

Attacking Midfielder Right / Left - Inverted Winger / Inside Forward

RW LW.PNG

Even though Leon Bailey arrived in January, he was by far and away our best winger this year. Tbh I think he made the difference in us securing the title in the manner that we did. Sancho is developing well while Brandt and Hazard did okay. I could look to move on Hazard and bring in someone else.

Striker - Advanced Forward

ST.PNG

Halaand was a monster… in the first half of the season. He dropped off quite a bit in the middle (around the time I gave him a new contract, probably not a coincidence) while Fischer was our very own Fernando Torres as he didn't score so much, but when he did, they were crucial goals later on in the campaign.

We also need a few more German players to fill in registration quotas too.

stats.PNG

We absolutely dominated the stats, leading the Bundesliga in a lot of metrics. We scored the most goals and created the most chances. This shows that we don't really need to change the system all that much, but just strengthen the personnel.

end of seasson.PNG

Ha, I forgot how terrible we were in the Pokal.

With that, I'm off to Brazil to scout some wonderkids have a relaxing vacation and refresh myself before attacking the new season.

See you guys then.

Attachments

• LB.PNG
    LB.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 68
I take a few days break and we are at 2K views, wow! Much love guys.

July 2020

Season 2 lazily rolls around and we gear up to defend our title. Here's what we've got up to so far.

Pre season

The German football world was rocked by the announcement of Joachim Low's resignation from the national team. After a staggering fourteen years at the helm and a world cup win, the mantle is passed to another manager. Low's last game was a defeat to Croatia in the final of the 2020 Euros.

I'm not bitter that the German FA didn't even consider me for the job. Not bitter at all.

pre season results.PNG

We smashed everybody, more or less.

Pre-season came and went and we blew everybody away. Haaland, Fischer and [REDACTED] have all banged in goals. The two goals we conceded came from corners, although it was when Hitz was in goal so I'm not particularly bothered.

Fringe players Hazard and Dahoud looked lively and they really wanted to fight for their places, so we'll see what January brings.

Transfer Window

The bank balance looks very healthy (€250M) and I've been given a transfer budget of €100M. Have I spent it?

Of course I have. What a silly question.

OUT
Lukas Piszczek to Lech Poznan €825K (€1M)

I had no real need of him as he's 35 years old. I think he was better than Meunier was last season (not just because of his long throw) but he is surplus to requirements this season.

Goodbye, Lukas!

Nico Schulz to Bayern Munich €45.5M

We continue our tradition of selling our second-choice defence to Bayern for more than they're worth and it continues today. Somehow Schulz's valuation fell from the €60M we saw at the end of last season to around €51M at the start of this one, but we still got rid of him for a lot of money. With Noah coming in from a very successful loan spell (and the fact I've randomly found a good German player who can play at both full back positions in my B team) he was surplus to requirements and was allowed to leave.

Goodbye, Nico!

IN
Fiete Arp from Bayern Munich €5M (€13.5M)

fiete arp irl.jpg

"Playing for Bayern is a dream come true." - Fiete Arp, 2019. Bit awkward now isn't it, Fiete?

I said we needed more German players and by raiding Bayern we do just that. Both Fischer and Arp are older than Haaland (who is almost the finished product already) but I would say they are capable of pushing Erling to greater and more consistent heights. Fiete can improve a lot too - let's hope he reaches his potential.

fiete arp.PNG

Welcome, Fiete Arp!

Eduardo Camavinga from Stade Rennais €39M (€47M)

eduardo camavinga irl.jpg

France international Eduardo Camavinga. Only 17 but already a superb player.

I had a dilemma. Axel Witsel is getting old. Dahoud won't be good enough. Solution? Camavinga. Eduardo wanted to leave Rennes for a bigger club from the beginning of the summer and after much dithering I decided to go for it. We beat Tottenham (who made an 11th hour bid) to secure his services.

Rodri was the other candidate for this position but I decided against it because Manchester City are stingy losers (more on that in a second) so I didn't want to pay them any money for any of their players.

eduardo camavinga.PNG

Welcome, Eduardo Camavinga!

A. Goalkeeper from x club €40M + €1 (don't want to spoil it yet!)

frustration.PNG

Failure.

frustration part 2.PNG

Failure part two.

frustration part 3.PNG

Failure part two point five.

frustration part 4.PNG

Failure part three.

Oh my god what a stressful transfer saga this was. I'll reveal who it is a bit below, but you are welcome to peek.

I identified the goalkeeper position as the problem position and for a while it looked like no club wanted to sell one to us. Manchester City simply did not budge with our top target Ederson (who didn't kick up a fuss, even though he was unhappy) after turning down €100M (€60M upfront). We were also a week too late on second choice Onana as he signed a new contract earlier in the summer and didn't want to move.

I was getting a little bit more desperate and I didn't really feel like picking up Alexander Nubel from Bayern, who was available for only €15M. Other choices such as Chelseas's Kepa (€65M), Barcelona's ter Stegen (simply not interested) and Napoli's Alex Meret (I thought we could do better) were considered but I ultimately landed...

Gianluigi Donnarumma from AC Milan €85M

Gianluigi Donnarummas irl.jpg

A big risk and one that needs to pay off. 21 year old Gianluigi Donnarumma.

The big Don himself. He absolutely smashes our and Germany's national transfer record and is getting dangerously close to the sums Dortmund normally sell players for. I had half-jokingly asked Michael Zorc to put in a bid for him which I had thought would've been automatically rejected by Milan. To my surprise (and to Zorc's credit) he negotiated a €75M offer for him, although his agent rejected the contract Zorc offered.

Who is his agent, I hear you ask? Mino Raiola. (Side note: Haaland's agent isn't Raiola anymore - it's some Austrian regen. I'm not sure why myself.)

So we had to wait two weeks (where we had to play a few matches without a first-choice) until Mino would re-open talks, by which point two things happened. Milan rejected Zorc's previous fee so I had to bump up the price tag and now I would negotiate with Mino personally.

Eventually, we got the deal done. Gianluigi Donnarumma arrives at Dortmund with a fat reputation and a fat contract. He is our highest earner.

He better be good. For the next fifteen years, preferably.

donnarumma.PNG

Welcome, Gianluigi Donnarumma!

In other news, Reinier went back to Madrid after I cancelled his loan. Unfortunately, he didn't really work out. Passlack also went out on loan.

Remember Australian Reece White? He's German now. I asked him why he'd decided to change his nationality (he was born in Sydney) and he tells me he "just felt like it." Fair enough.

With Reyna, Bellingham and newcomer Camavinga coming in to compete for the central midfield spots, Emre Can misses out. Looking at his stats and considering his versatility, I'm playing him as a right back now. A bit of inspiration from the Portuguese Tony Pulis Jose Mourinho, I would say.

The bookies have finally seen sense and have placed Haaland as evens to win Bundesliga goalscorer. My ten pounds at the beginning of last season really, really screwed them.

erling top scorer.PNG

Now that pre-season is over, it's time for the supercup, the annual der klassiker against Bayern-

borussen derby.PNG

Okay, not Bayern. Gladbach won the Pokal and so they're facing us today. Monchengladbach are predicted to finish third in the BuLi behind us so presumably they have a strong squad.

No matter. We'll beat them anyway.

Reece White starts for us because at this point I haven't bought big Don in and I can't be assed to play the other two, who I haven't sold (because nobody wanted them). We are also missing a couple of players away to some pointless international tournament.

lineup.PNG

Our lineup. I also have a second 442 formation if things go awry.

supercup win 1.PNG
supercup-win-2-png.518645

supercup win.PNG

An Erling Haaland masterclass. He nets four as he takes the matchball home and the referee's whisle or something. Props to Reece who did well on his debut. Davies scored a stunner while Reus and Bailey ran the show taking three and two assists respectively (mostly from set pieces). Well done lads.

A final played and a trophy gained.

Bring on the season.

Attachments

• supercup win 2.PNG
    supercup win 2.PNG
    3.7 KB · Views: 901
August 2020

The board want us to win the Pokal this year but I just want to get further than the 2nd round.

dynamo dresden pokal.PNG

What a day! Two more set piece goals, with Arp scoring on debut. Bailey scored a peach on his brithday to put us four goals up at half time.

...I'd rather not talk about White's own goal.

After the game, my PA forwarded me this. I suppose it was inevitable.

inevitable.PNG

She also forwarded Liverpool's interest but I told her to flag it as spam. I don't need to deal with that right now.

We now embark on our first Bundesliga game at home to Mainz to kick off our title defence.

mainz home.PNG

Haaland bags another hat trick as our attacking firepower overshadows some of our defensive deficiencies. Marco Reus scores a great free kick to prove to the world he's not past-it and washed up. Camavinga made his debut off the bench.

After the match, Thomas Zetzmann came to me and told me that Eduardo was jaded and needed a rest. Is he mad? He's only been here a week!

The second matchday rolls around and we face Leverkusen away. They are a good side but I've stolen Bailey from them (I'm looking at Tah too) so a win is expected.

last minte winner leverkusen.PNG

leverkusen away.PNG

I was already typing on how we threw away two easy points because of a Reece White mistake and that "Donnarumma can't come soon enough" but as I tab back into the game, Bailey scores a screamer from a clever Sancho pass against his old club in the 95th minute. Just wow. Noah Katterbach made his debut.

What a game that was!

blunder.PNG

Yeah, we're ignoring this. Anyway.

Today is the Champions League group stage draw. We are first seeds as Bundesliga Champions.

UCL draw.PNG

Group H.

Not terrible, which is great! We draw Lazio for the second year running. No doubt the likes of Immobile will want revenge, unless of course Liverpool buys him before then.

The day before the match against Borussia Monchengladbach (who are probably still hurting from being thrashed at the Supercup) I have a massive headache. I can't point out why until I walk into the office.

Michael Zorc looks at me grimly.

"Morning, Michael. Why-".

"Manchester City," he says, interrupting me, "€82M."

"For who?" I was practically willing the universe for it not be Jadon. Please, oh, please don't let it be Jadon Sancho.

"Julian Brandt," Zorc replies, with real oomph in his voice. The look of indifference and relief on my face must disappoint him, then.

I still have a massive headache, though.

gladbach home.PNG

We win with four set piece goals to BMG. Donnarumma made his debut, but Marcus Thuram scored a worldie just so that Gianluigi wouldn't keep a clean sheet. Scoundrel.

aug league table.PNG

Three wins from three at the end of August.

September 2020

brandt speaking facts.PNG

Brandt speaking facts.

After speaking with Julian, he decided to stay and not leave so long as I improve the talented youngsters we have at the club. Easy.

Jeremy Toljan to RB Leipzig €7.5M

A bit of random transfer news on deadline day. Remember the German full back who I said could play on both flanks? This is him. He's played quite well in pre-season and two league appearances but Leipzig offered him more playing time. I couldn't really say no so off he goes for some spare change.

Goodbye, Jeremy!

I couldn't offload neither Hitz nor Burki so they're going to stay for a while. They're burning a 100K/week hole in Dortmund's pocket right now.

A few hundred kilos away in Bavaria, die rotten have been busy in the transfer window, spending a total of €172M on players, most of which was spent on Manchester City midfielders Rodri and Gundogan, both for €60M+.

Elsewhere in Europe, Manchester United continue to go completely bonkers in the transfer market, spending €360M most notably on €110M man Angel Correa from Atleti (the largest transfer of the summer) and €90M on Lautaro Martinez. Poor Rapha Guerreiro has only made seven appearances, costing them €7M per game in transfer fees alone.

Anyway, we play Freiburg before kicking off our European adventure against Fenerbahce.

freiburg away.PNG

It was a very even game and we nearly lost it. Donnarumma's performance secures us the three points. Marco Reus picks up an injury as his ligaments decide enough is enough. He'll be out for a few weeks.

Thirty-five year old Liverpool legend Martin Skrtel is at the heart of Fenerbahce's defence. Let's see how well he does against Haaland and Fischer.

fenerbahce away.PNG

The answer is not well, as he played terribly. Fischer was denied a hat-trick by VAR while Donnarumma didn't have much to do, collecting his first clean sheet for the club. With the win, we also break a consecutive win record.

new record.PNG

We are flying.

We return to domestic action with a tough test against Leipzig. The last two games against them were won with only one goal margin, so a challenge awaits.

It's also interesting to note that Bayern have not started as terribly as they did last time, and in fact currently have a higher goal difference than we do.

leipzig home.PNG

No revenge for Jeremy Tolajan. We are machines.

In other news, maybe I should have sold Brandt.

brandt injury.PNG

Davies also joins him in the treatment room (1 month out) so at the very least Reus will have friends to keep him company now.

Stuttgart is next before we go against Lazio in the Champions League.

stuttgart away.PNG

A bit disappointing but when your key players are injured it's to be expected. We drop the first points of the domestic campaign and Bayern capitalise to go top in goal difference for the first time in my tenure.

Okay, Lazio now. Similar to last year, they are currently sitting top of Serie A above Juventus (the defending champions). They've spent €100M in the transfer window although have narrowly lost to Shakhtar so I'm feeling confident.

Ahead of the game, a reporter asked me if Kounde was deserving of a callup to the national team. Naturally, I said yes and Lucien Favre, the France manager, said that he was considering him for the national team setup.

He also remarked that he was happy of Dortmund's performance as of late but more importantly was delighted that Sancho was still at the club. What a turn of events for the Swissman.

lazio home.PNG

Both teams squandered a lot of chances so I suppose it's a fair result. A draw in Europe to round off the month.

sep table.PNG

he league table at the end of September. We currently sit second, undefeated with Bayern top.

Attachments

• fenerbahce away.PNG
    fenerbahce away.PNG
    35.7 KB · Views: 54
October 2020

new contract.PNG

Look at that. After two relatively lacklustre draws the board have given me a shiny new four year contract. I'd actually asked for one during the summer break and they refused to give it to me on the grounds that "I hadn't done enough to deserve it."

Apparently winning the Bundesliga at the first time of asking after eight years and reaching the Champions League semi-finals were not enough, but now is.

I dunno, really.

Anyway, the month starts with what is supposedly an easy game against Nurnberg. They say there is no such thing as an easy game in football but we need a comfortable victory to bounce back from two 1-1 draws.

nurnberg home.PNG

And we do just that. A complete performance as Donnarumma had nothing to do.

nurnberg stats.PNG

The international break is in the way of an away game to Paderbon.

paderborn away.PNG

More often than not after the break, everyone comes back tired and lacking energy. The same thing happened today. Haaland played the role of super-sub and came on in the 60th minute. He proved to be the decisive difference, netting a late penalty and an even later winner.

Our European adventure continues against Ukranian giants Shakhtar Donetsk. After two games, they are top of the group after wins against both Lazio and Fenerbahce.

shakthar home.PNG

Camavinga ran the show in the midfield and Donnarumma made a number of superb saves.

group h after 3.PNG

Lazio can't seem to get any rhythm going on in any of the last two UCL groups.

With the win, we place ourselves in pole position to win the group with just three games to go.

The Revier Derby is up next. We need a result to keep up the pressure on Bayern, who can't stop winning at the moment. This will be a fiercely-contested clash.

schalke home.PNG

A dominating performance from the boys. Schalke appear to be a Manchester United feeder club as both Dan James and Axel Tuanzebe are on loan at the club. They still lost, though.

Before the next games (Augsburg at the Pokal and then Koln away), here is a Leon Bailey appreciation post.

leon.PNG

leon stats.PNG

I think he's one of my best players - the game already regards him as world class.

He's been a superb player since I nabbed him from Leverkusen, banging in goals and assists. He gives us complete, consistent performances week in and week out.

And he's only twenty three.

I'll do a Haaland appreciation post next time (they currently have the two highest ratings in the league) but for now, here is the superb Leon Bailey.

leon haaland average ratings.PNG

Highest average rating

leon runner.PNG

Second highest distance covered / 90

Let's finish off the month. The second round of the Pokal awaits.

How funny would it be if we got knocked out in the second round again?

augsburg away.PNG

ffs.

Turns out it isn't funny.

We've lost to a division 2 side with one of my loan players in it.

op augsburg keeper.PNG

Look at the opposition keepers rating!!! He played it like he's in the world cup final or something.

What a terrible, terrible performance.

koln away.PNG

Better but I'm still furious.

oct league table.PNG

We're second to a Bayern team who can't stop winning and we're out of the cup. What a frustrating month.

November 2020

The month starts with a chance to qualify for the UCL knockouts against Shakhtar. Bar a Pokal-esque meltdown, that should be doable.

shakhtar away.PNG

A 3 - 3 draw is not great but we were much better in the final fifteen minutes to come back from a two goal deficit. Hummels had a shocker.

Side note: Why are Shakhtar playing in a stadium called Metalist? Are they planning a stadium renovation irl?

We need to improve. Rock bottom, 18th-placed Dusseldorf is a good place to start.

bailey 10.PNG

I tip my hat off to you, Leon Bailey.

dusseldorf home.PNG

Yes! Bailey uses Dusseldorf as a personal mop as he nets a hat-trick inside the first fifteen minutes. Jude scored his first for the club and we keep an important clean sheet. Scarier still is the fact Haaland didn't play - if he did it could've been ten.

The international break is upon us so a quick Haaland appreciation post is due. As you all might know, Dortmund purchased him from RB Salzburg for just €20M, beating every other club in the world to his signature. And it's gone rather well.

haaland.PNG

haaland av min.PNG

Highest average minutes / goal with Leon Bailey.

haaland headers won.PNG

Most headers, beating Poulsen (who plays as a second striker) and every defender.

haaland sot.PNG

Most shots on target.

haaland top goalscorer.PNG

And last but not least, he and Leon are top goalscorers.

haaland overview stats.PNG

Look at this man's league stats!

Even better news have been bestowed upon us. Bayern have drew! We are two points clear!

Hertha berlin are next up, before a game against Fenerbahce.

berlin away.PNG

We smash Hertha by four goals, though Sancho picked up an injury and will now be out for a month. Somewhere else in Germany, Bayern inflict the exact same scoreline against Frankfurt.

The Turkish champions roll up to Dortmund, looking for revenge.

fenerbahce home.PNG

Revenge is not found. A great win and with this result we go through to the knockouts. Bellingham becomes the UCL youngest goalscorer (which isn't true because Fati holds the record irl) but I do fear that this game will be a season definer because...

bailey injury.PNG

reus injury.PNG

Oh dear. Injuries, injuries, injuries. Injuries from Fenerbahce tackles, no less.

Ibne Fenerbahce, as Galatasaray fans would say.

We are forced to move forward against Werder Bremen before we face eternal rivals Bayern Munich at the start of next month. I'm already fearing for our season.

bremen home.PNG

A nervy win but a win nonetheless. We have a week to prepare against Bayern. I'm not looking forward to it.

nov league table.PNG

Ahead for now (because Bayern drew on the last matchday). If we lose at least we won't lose top spot.

Attachments

• shakhtar away.PNG
    shakhtar away.PNG
    36 KB · Views: 54
  • dusseldorf home.PNG
    dusseldorf home.PNG
    37.4 KB · Views: 52
  • bailey 10.PNG
    bailey 10.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 55
  • haaland.PNG
    haaland.PNG
    109.2 KB · Views: 55
  • haaland av min.PNG
    haaland av min.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 56
  • haaland headers won.PNG
    haaland headers won.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 57
  • haaland overview stats.PNG
    haaland overview stats.PNG
    18.8 KB · Views: 57
  • haaland sot.PNG
    haaland sot.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 56
  • haaland top goalscorer.PNG
    haaland top goalscorer.PNG
    44.2 KB · Views: 59
  • berlin away.PNG
    berlin away.PNG
    35 KB · Views: 53
  • fenerbahce home.PNG
    fenerbahce home.PNG
    37.8 KB · Views: 55
  • reus injury.PNG
    reus injury.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 57
  • bailey injury.PNG
    bailey injury.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 58
  • bremen home.PNG
    bremen home.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 60
  • nov league table.PNG
    nov league table.PNG
    60.4 KB · Views: 54
  • bailey injury.PNG
    bailey injury.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 56
Wow great results dude
Hope in winter they doing pretty welo

Thanks for the support man. The winter break can't come soon enough because it gives my injured wingers a chance to recover, the poor things.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 2020

Before the match against the Bavarians, something of interest has just come up. Bayern have changed their formation.

433.PNG

Hansi Flick's new look Bayern.

They had always played a 4231 (as we have been doing) but have now shifted to a 433, with a proper DM (summer signing Rodri) shielding the back four. This could explain their bright start to the campaign, compared to their mediocre, stuttering start to last season's.

all the time bayern away.PNG

Apparently we've never faced Bayern at home. Nice one, FM.

Anyway, we have a game to play.

Injury update - Brandt is just fit enough to make the bench. Bailey, Sancho, Hazard and Reus watch from home. Four wingers are out so Reyna and Bellingham duly fill in.

Thank goodness for the English, eh?

Here we go.

bayern away.PNG

ffs.

You are joking. Manchester City irritate me again. Both teams had their chances and it looked like a goalless draw until former Man City and BVB Dortmund man Gundogan beats challenges from Witsel and Hummels and promptly scores from outside the box with the last kick of the ball.

He celebrates like a madman.

My team are full of plonkers. We were relatively flat in attack (Haaland still hasn't scored against this lot) and it stings to lose in such a manner. The only person who can walk away with head held high is Donnarumma who played his heart out with a 7.4 rating. Buying him for big money was worth it I think, even if it didn't lead to points today.

With that the gap is down to one. Hopefully I don't keep repeating that like I did last season.

I expect my team to bounce back against Lazio in the UCL. They have fallen down to fourth in Serie A, five points behind league leaders Juventus.

lazio away.PNG

Okay, I was not expecting that after 50 minutes. We showed character as we come up with a late, late equaliser and a late, late winner. We do the sme thing to Lazio as Bayern have done to us, but worse; With that result, we've relegated them to the Europa League. Poor Lazio.

group h win.PNG

Final group standings. Props to Shakhtar for putting up a good fight, while Fenerbahce can go screw themselves.

Bielefeld are next. They've never given us any trouble before and I don't see it changing today, even with a dozen players out.

bielefeld home.PNG

We don't look fluid at all and for the second game in a row a Jude Bellingham strike saves us the game and wins us the three points. A big game player.

Before we have time to prepare for the trip to Eintracht Frankfurt, we have to go watch some men in suits pull out names from a bowl. It's the Champions League knockout draw. All the German clubs (Gladbach, Koln, Bayern and ourselves) are through to the Round of 16.

Some big teams are unseeded - we could get Atleti, Barca or Real in this round.

ucl draw.PNG

At least the second leg is at home..?

This is tough. We're going to Madrid.

I can already hear the media making stories of the Hazard brothers reuniting. The other German clubs don't have it easier too - Koln are up against defending champions PSG and last year's runner-up Bayern are up against another Spanish giant in the form of Barcelona.

In other news, Sancho and Hazard are back. Frankfurt are our last opponents of the year before the much-welcome winter break.

yikes.PNG

frankfurt away.PNG

Yikes.

Er, in short, we were terrible. We were outclassed in every way. I played the unfit Sancho, Hazard and Brandt who in honestly did not look ready. This one was my bad.

What a terrible way to wrap up 2020.

december league table.PNG

Ahead only because Bayern have two games in hand. Please lose, Hansi.

Still disappointed with myself and my team, I'm off on holiday. I'm going west of the border today to Belgium. I think I'll enjoy some Belgian Moules-frites to eat and some kids, er, players, to watch in Ghent. See you guys next year!

Wow first you went to brazil and next you going to belgium
And what summer flying going next portugal?
Well i wonder if dortmund chairman will let you go to plane right

Wow first you went to brazil and next you going to belgium
And what summer flying going next portugal?
Well i wonder if dortmund chairman will let you go to plane right

Yeah as long as I do well on the pitch Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke lets me go anywhere I want for the summer / winter break. I went to Switzerland last year and enjoyed myself so much I forgot to watch any football for my scouting duties.

Please don't tell him that.

January 2021

As with last year, I melt into a seriously comfortable chair in Bruges to watch Haaland win some awards. Except this time, he wasn't the only player on the awards stage.

Enter Leon Bailey.

ballon dor.PNG

38 G/A in 35 appearances. It's fair to say he deserves it.

Dortmund have a Ballon d'Or winner in their ranks! I really was not expecting this, especially in just our second season. What a year for him.

He also was:

• 2nd placed FIFA Best Men's Player
  • FIFA FIFPRO Player of the Year
  • Named in FIFA FIFPRO Team of the Year (alongside Hummels and Haaland, Erling was on the bench)

Just wow. I'm really impressed with him. Even though he was injured since November, he'd done enough to win. An unexpected win perhaps, but one that I'd completely agree with.

Haaland also bagged the European Golden Boy award for the second year in the row.

Gabriel Veron from Palmeiras €12.5M

gabriel veron irl.jpg

U20 international Gabriel Veron

I bought the Brazillian youngster in the summer transfer window as an extra option in attack (partly beacuse I had little faith in Hazard but more so that he can play anywhere in the front three positions) but didn't realise that he would be coming in January.

I'm hoping he can really improve a lot. I don't know when he'll be available for selection because he's off on duty with the youth Brazilian national team showing off his samba skills and running really fast, but he is a Dortmund player.

gabriel veron.PNG

Welcome, Gabriel Veron!

We did some friendlies to get match fitness back and we did alright.

friendlies.PNG

Nothing to whoop and scream about.

The boys are back into action against 4th placed Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga. They won't be pushovers (we lost 2 - 1 to them this time last year) but we need a result since dropping points would probably lead to Bayern capitalising. And nobody wants that.

wolfsburg home.PNG

I dunno if it was the lack of sharpness but we blew them away with ease. Brandt has finally woken up from the nightmare that was the start of the season, where his performances were poor before suffering a big injury. The opposition keeper had a stinker after he cleared the ball... right into Reyna's feet, who finished from 35 yards out.

Unfortunately, Davies has picked up yet another injury. I think I should start giving him the Marco Reus treatment.

Next up we have FSV Mainz. Before this game they had a thriller at home to Schalke.

mainz v schalke.PNG

If we go through more of the same but with a Dortmund win at the end of it I'll go home happy.

mainz away.PNG

Looks like Haaland isn't suffering from a mid-season meltdown anytime soon. We survive a late scare (two corner goals) after Emre Can decides to get himself sent off to collect three points.

On the ride home we get a wonderful piece of news. Bayern have lost!

bayern lost surprise outcome.PNG

bayern lost lmao.PNG

Thank you, thank you, thank you Manuel Baum and RB Leipzig. Thank you.

Anyway, we prepare for a home game against Leverkusen. Strangely, they've loaned out their Brazillian wonderkid (Paulinho) and have loaned in another Brazillian wonderkid (Rodyrgo), who play in the exact same position and have near identical stats.

This is one of those loan deals which only makes sense in the mind of the deluded and perhaps the minds of those with too much free time and money.

I'm just saying.

Politics aside, we jump into the match.

leverkusen home.PNG

We utterly dominated and only the heroics of Peter Gulasci kept it from being a bloodbath. At the other end, Donnarumma made a number of smart saves to keep a clean sheet.

We have a week's breather before our next match. It's a welcome break for two reasons: it gives everyone a chance to train again after several days of fixture congestion and we get the very welcome news that Bayern have drawn against Stuttgart.

gladbach away.PNG

A very poor performance as we are randomly outclassed by a Europa League level team. Some individual mistakes coupled with questionable finishing leads to this scoreline.

Honestly though, I'm looking more intently at another score.

bayern lost to leverkusen.PNG

bayern defeat to lev.PNG

As per usual, I launch into a thankful tirade towards Leverkusen boss Sandro Schwarz. I think it makes up for the defeat we suffered.

Big news for Dortmund as our final training upgrades have been finalised. Our training and youth facilities are now state of the art.

training upgrades.PNG

sota train.PNG
sota youth.PNG

I've also decided to let Veron go out on loan to Koln. He'll get regular game time (I now trust Koln with all my loaness for life after Katterbach's excellent development) which he won't get at Dortmund once Bailey and Reus return.

january leageu table.PNG

Whisper it quietly, but I think a gap is opening up.

hey my man this dortmund is making bayern look like an butter beard that came from england
come on dortmund ang go getting the UCL Final

hey my man this dortmund is making bayern look like an butter beard that came from england
come on dortmund ang go getting the UCL Final
Bayern are good, but so far we are even better. Yes, the goal is to win the UCL before I get bored, but if we keep Jadon Sancho everything will be swell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

February 2020

The transfer window is now closed and unsurprisingly some clubs have gone and spent a bunch of cash. Barcelona have thrown €152M at Juventus for Paulo Dybala and Chelsea have bought Everton for €102M. They've bought the club, of course, not the player.

Obviously.

Anyway, we are on track for a good run in the Bundesliga. Lowly Freiburg are next.

freiburg home.PNG

An excellent job as Haaland runs the show. I give Reus 45 minutes to build up fitness and to see him mark his return from injury with a goal is always nice.

Meanwhile...

bayern loss to schalke.PNG

They've lost again. This is quite uncharacteristic - some tired legs in that squad? We were also losing one or two games so maybe a couple of players are running out of steam. We also had to contend with injuries - Bayern don't have this excuse.

We face a revitalised Leipzig away from home, sitting third just one point behind Bayern. In fact, if they nab a win they could move ahead of them.

To be honest, I've never considered them title challengers because of the mess they were in under Nagelsmann last season but credit to Baum for overcoming a difficult start to be unbeaten in twenty games.

The last game they lost was at home to us. Let's keep up this particular tradition.

leipzig away.PNG

An entertaining game and in truth the scoreline flattered us as Leipzig matched us to the final whistle. Davies was forced off injured (again!) as Leipzig had the better opportunities in the first half. My defence stood firm however, before an inevitable Haaland goal and a driving Sancho shot secured us the three points. This was a very important win.

Up next is my bogey team Stuttgart before the first leg against Real Madrid at the Bernebau. I'm hoping and praying that nobody gets injured.

stuttgart home.PNG

Stuttgart were much easier opposition than Leipzig and the only thing I was worried about was the fact that Haaland left it to the 84th minute to grab a goal. There were no injuries to speak of, thankfully.

In European news, Koln are still in their tie against PSG after losing 2- 1 at home (I should mention that the on-loan Veron scored on his Bundesliga debut), while Bayern have a 2 goal deficit to overturn at the Allianz Arena against Barcelona. Not looking too good for them.

Gladbach have picked up a 2 - 0 victory to Lyon.

Onto our tie, then. Real Madrid are currently running away with La Liga, holding a commanding ten point gap to Barca. They play a narrow 4312 with summer signing Romelu Lukaku stuffed up front with Benzema. This should mean my wide players are going to have field days, although we should expect to lose the midfield battle from their extra man. Thorgan's older brother, meanwhile, is struggling for form at the moment.

Eric Dier is also a Real Madrid player. Very realistic.

The first leg of the Champions League Round of 16 beckons.

madrid away.PNG

Okay, we have something to work with here. We dominated Madrid in the shot-creating department but couldn't find a way through. Witsel got himself sent off for a second yellow (it was such a dubious decision too!) to cap off an unlucky day. Bailey was available for selection but I didn't want to risk him yet - he and Davies could prove the difference back at SIGNAL IDUNA PARK.

The worst news of all is that both Zagadou and Hummels are banned for a match after collecting five yellows. I did not expect that.

We finish the month like we started it, against lowly Nurnberg.

nurnberg away.PNG

Not the most spectacular win but this result means that we've gone the whole month without conceding! Donnarumma is an absolute wall.

febraury league table.PNG

I see you. We're not bottling this.

March 2020

The first game of the month marks Leon Bailey's full return to the side.

paderborn home.PNG

Erling Haaland is tremendous. With the victory, we set a new team record of going six without conceding.

I think Schalke would like to have a say on this particular run.

what I like to see.PNG

That's what I like to see.

schalke away.PNG

A very slightly rotated side headed out but we destroyed them anyway.

After the match, Lars Ricken hands me a sheet of paper.

It's for the new youth intake. I've been so preoccupied by the matches that I've simply forgot that we'd get one.

youth intake.PNG

Two decent, if unorthodox, prospects to develop.

Turns out our Australian affiliate (which I didn't even know we had) is turning out to be really useful. Stranger than that is the arrival of a Malaysian goalkeeper, who by the way is 30cm taller than the Malaysian average height. I really hope they make it, but its a pretty weird youth intake.

I'm not complaining though, Lars is doing a fine job.

Before our own European crunch tie, let's have a look at how the other German teams have fared. Barca did enough to go through after securing a goalless draw against Bayern away (they were also knocked out of the Pokal in the Quarters) so there won't be any cup win for the Bavarians this year.

Ha.

Elsewhere, Koln couldn't cause an upset and are knocked out by PSG.

Here is the problem I have to contend with on Tuesday:

what I have to contend with.PNG

Three important players are suspended. This will be difficult, though Madrid have problems of their own with Modric, Casemiro, Carvajal and most importantly Eric Dier ruled out.

We'll be following the match live.

RM lineup.PNG

This is our lineup. The midfield pairing and roles are changed slightly to counter RM's three in the middle while Bailey is just fit enough to start after I rested him from training for a day. Delaney, who's been a fringe player this year, starts ahead of Bellingham.

BVB DORTMUND 0 - 0 REAL MADRID

Kick off.

We are looking like the better team but Sancho and Haaland seem to have left their shooting boots at home. They've spurned two good chances so far. Madrid have only had one shot on target.

goal 1.PNG

Which was a goal, from Lukaku's head after a free kick.

BVB DORTMUND 0 - 1 REAL MADRID

It's half time now and I give my players a bollocking. Our passes need to be more decisive while our finishing more clinical. We need two goals to go through now and I'm not feeling hopeful at the moment.

Madrid kick off.

Haaland misses another 1v1 opportunity after 60 minutes and things need to change.

On comes Bellingham and Brandt for Delaney and Reus.

It seems to work - our pressing is more energetic and we are rewarded with an excellent opportunity.

does hemiss..PNG

Which Erling Haaland doesn't bury.

ffs.PNG

Oh, this is so aggravating. I've had enough of him.

madrid home.PNG

We're out of the Champions League in one of the meekest ways possible.

I walk into the changing room at full time. Roy Keane follows behind me, eyeing the players with fury. The room is tense and deathly silent.

They are waiting for me to speak and I wait a full minute before I open my mouth.

"You ******* headless geese."

I leave.

Just exactly how did we lose this? On any other day against any other opponent Haaland would have scored the chances that were presented to him. I can't believe it.

He's got cold feet.

I'm forced to move on, though. But not before I tell the boys to run extra laps in the training ground the next day.

We've got a league title to defend.

koln home.PNG

Oh how I wished we played like this last week. The on-loan Gabriel Veron was non existant as Haaland bags a hat trick, taking him up to 41 goals this season which surpasses his total last year. Katterbach had a screamer ruled out by VAR against his old club.

It's a formality, but we qualify for next season's Champions League.

I've been given a monstrous transfer budget (140M) which I might use. Yeah, I need a fourth center back.

Some bad news has arrived my way as both Haaland and Hummels will be out for a over a month. If this causes us to bottle the league I will flip.

Another thing I haven't mentioned at all this save is the rumours of a takeover. There were some whispers about it in my first season but they are getting louder this year.

They kept saying the same thing, however - that it was not to be believed.

Just now, CEO Hans came out to say it was fake news.

takeover.PNG

I'll believe him. For now.

march league table.PNG

Still pretty far ahead.

April 2021 (I forgot to add an extra year in the previous posts my bad lmao)

I'm still extremely irate over our early Champions League exit. I honestly can't wait for the end of the season now and so I'm going to speed things up a little. Unless we start losing, we're going to zoom through the month.

april results.PNG

We picked up two wins and two clean sheets before a really random defeat to Werder Bremen, where Axel Witsel missed a penalty.

insane pavlenka.PNG

Look at Jiri Pavlenka's rating! If it wasn't so infuriating I'd be laughing.

I've come back for the last game of the month against Bayern. Simply put, If we win, we secure the title.

I've changed my formation to match them - our 4231 shape hasn't been as sharp as we'd like (especially evident against Bremen) so we're switching to a 433.

Come on lads, we can't lose.

bayern home.PNG

I present to you Ballon d'or winner, Leon Bailey.

agreed.PNG

win.PNG

It doesn't get better than this - we secure the league at home against eternal rivals Bayern Munchen.

YEEEES! Celebrations all around Dortmund as we clinch a second consecutive Bundesliga title with three games to go!

dortmund win.jpg

Our tactical change worked wonders as we completely dominate Bayern, allowing them just two shots in 90 minutes, while we managed a mammoth 21.

We just needed to find a goal and one goal was all we needed. Leon Bailey you wonderful, beautiful person.

I shall bask in this victory against Bayern. I love this team.

Funnily enough, in both title deciders we won with a scoreline of 1 - 0 and in very similar times. Haaland scored in the 16th minute last year while Bailey netted in the 17th.

Coincidence? Yeah, probably.

sad bayern.jpg

Scenes at full time.

Anyway, after the game, Hansi Flick was sacked. I wish him the best because he was pretty nice to me in the media. His replacement and my next challenger is Zinedine Zidane.

I don't know how to feel about this one, chief.

league table.PNG

Do you see that C next to our name? Yeah, that's us.

May 2021 - I know FM21's beta is out so I'm behind schedule but I want to finish this story since I'm not going to buy it until later.

The day after the title win, the board calls me in for a meeting. Nothing serious, they assured me. We just want to make expectations for next season clear and we really believe you are the one who will take us there.

Okay.

"Congratulations! Really, really, well done," exclaims Dortmund director Reinhard Rauball. He and the five other board members have drunk themselves silly and are in a very happy mood.

"Maybe the Pokal and the Champions League could be better but that's football," he slurs, rather unnecessarily.

I ignore the jibe, and thank him and the rest of the members of the board.

"Next year," Dortmund CEO Watzke enunciates, with passion and fervour, "We want more. We know you can lead this team to the glory it so deserves. We know you can keep suffocating Munich in Germany and we know you can achieve great things in Europe."

The room falls silent as he and the others wait for an answer. Maybe they are expecting a triumphant declaration that I would not fail them on my life. In reality, I wasn't aware that they wanted a response.

A silence ensued, before I realised that they were still waiting - an awkward minute too late.

"Err, I won't fail," came the quiet and unconvincing reply. How could I say anything else? They were clearly revelling in the moment and were feeling very ambitious. Who was I to stop their joyous feelings? Those three words won't affect anything... right?

dortmund board meeting.jpg

I leave the meeting to joyous whoops and hollers behind me. I was feeling a bit more nervous than I had when I first entered, although at least some people were happy.

Oh well.

Again, we zoom by the months and I give random players starts so that they would get medals. Burki did his best for us last season (although he was pretty average in those games) and hasn't featured in this campaign so I thought a winner's medal would be a nice parting gift for him.

may results.PNG

Burki's game came with a rotated side (it was against Bielefeld) and my fringe players kept a clean sheet! Happy days. Anyway I think I'm going to switch full-time to the 433 shape. It suits us a lot better it seems, especially as Marco is now not the force he once was.

In other news, new Bayern boss Zidane appears to be in an awkward phase - his team have lost 5 - 1 to Gladbach.

I can't say it keeps me awake at night, though. Because it doesn't. And is, in fact, hilarious.

The end of the season is upon us and my players have won many, many things that I'm sure are important. We'll briefly skim through them.

Erling Haaland

• German Footballer of the Year (2x in a row)
  • Player's Player of the Year (2x in a row)
  • Bundesliga Top Goalscorer (2x in a row)
  • Bundesliga Team of the Year
  • Dortmund Fan's Player of the Season
  • Dortmund Young Player of the Seaon

Jude Bellingham

• Bundesliga Player's Newcomer of the Year (he dedicated his award to me and I nearly shed a tear)

Dortmund Players in the Team of the Year:

Donnarumma, Zagadou, Bellingham, Sancho, Haaland (no Bailey for some reason)

My players have broken a few records, too:

donnarumma new record bundesliga.PNG
donnarumma new record.PNG

Donnarumma's debut season was a resounding success.

haaland recrod.PNG

Erling Haaland's 42 goals beat Aubameyang's previous tally for the Black and Yellows.

reus new record.PNG

Reus breaks his own assist record - probably his last as a Dortmund first team player.

In the next post, we'll analyse everyone's performance and set plans for the new season. This is going to be the big one, I just feel it.

may league table.PNG

Champions of Germany.

Gotta go for that Champions League before you get FM21!
This is the truest thing I have read today. Thanks for the support and good luck with your own FM21 adventures!

June 2021

The season has been a mixed bag. We have a better squad than last year and we've broken some records to show for it, but we've not improved in the Pokal and have regressed in the Champions League, perhaps undeservingly so.

Anyway, it's time for perhaps my second favourite part of FM (first being transfer window), where we review, appreciate and bash everybody's performances over the course of the year.

BVB 2020/2021 Season Review

Goalkeeper - Sweeper Keeper

goalkeeper.PNG

It's funny how far €85M and one player later can change your fortunes. If you remember, last year I was whingeing nonsensically about needing a new keeper.

This year, I am at peace.

No changes are needed. I will try to move Burki on while Hitz has already signed a pre-contract with Zurich. Reece White and the new Malaysian regen will be the backups for next year. Even though we've conceded the same number of league goals as last year, it's important to remember that young Reece played two and conceded four, so he is my scapegoat.

Right Back - Full Back

right back.PNG

Meunier was excellent at the second half of the season while Can filled in RB, CB and CM well enough. No complaints. Passlack had a really good season on loan (although it was to the second division) so I'm hoping it can be made permanent for a fee. If he wants, he is welcome to fight for his place because he is homegrown.

Center Back - Ball Playing CB

center back.PNG

Out of the three central defenders, Hummels was the best defensively, although he had some injury issues. Zagadou was superb going forward, and was a giant threat in set pieces, while Kounde did well enough. However, I will add one more CB to avoid a repeat of the Madrid second leg where both Dan and Mats were suspended.

Left Back - Wing Back

left back.PNG

Davies was not as good as he was last year but still did very well. Katterbach was solid, if unspectacular. They still have bright futures ahead of them and can improve a lot.

Central Midfielder - Deep Lying Playmaker, Box to Box

center mid.PNG

This and the AM position will be revamped next season for tactical reasons. Camavinga will play as a Roaming Playmaker on the left, while Bellingham will play as an attacking Central Midfielder, with Reyna rotating. Meanwhile, Witsel will play at the base as a three. Dahoud and Delaney will probably move on and I've already identified three potential targets for the DM position - I'm currently in a bidding war with Liverpool for my first choice target.

Attacking Midfielder - Shadow Striker

attacking mid.PNG

It's time to say goodbye to the number 10 as this position will be no more - Reus will play on the left wing while Reyna will play in midfield. Marco way overperformed on his xA (there is no offical expected assists metric on FM20, but I just compare the chances created to the number of actual assists), grabbing 15 assists while only creating 7 chances. Bit of luck on his part, I think. Not that I'm complaining.

Attacking Midfielder Right / Left - Inverted Winger / Inside Forward

right wing left wing.PNG

Ballon d'Or winner Leon Bailey was by far our best player in terms of G + A but also in terms of dribbles/90 and xA/90, creating more chances than anyone else in the squad. Sancho is still developing well while Brandt was unlucky with injuries (he could leave as he kicked up a fuss about me not developing our youth players or something and the blue side of Manchester are interested) while Hazard was average and will most likely be moved on for Gabriel Veron.

Striker - Advanced Forward

striker.PNG

I think Haaland is easily top three for strikers I've ever had playing FM and is just an excellent player. Arp and Fischer were stunningly average, although to be fair I haven't given them many chances. I'm starting to regret buying Fiete because his wages absolutely do not justify his performances.

commercial.PNG

We are improving our commercial income although other parts have suffered because we sucked at the UCL this year.

league stats.PNG

Our possession, number of goals and pass completion actually fell a bit which is not great, especially as we've strengthened the squad. I could be to blame as I liked to rotate the midfielders around a lot and perhaps our 4231 tactic was waning in effectiveness. Other metrics have shown a pleasing increase, such as the huge increase in chances created and crosses. As I mentioned before, we've conceded the same number of goals as last year but it would have been less had Donnarumma arrived at the start of the season (I'm scapegoating Reece White again; the poor lad doesn't deserve this). Overall, I'm pretty happy but I'm looking to decrease the number of goals we concede next year.

achievements.PNG

UEFA Champions League or bust. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• achievements.PNG
    achievements.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 52
July 2021 - A bit of a bonus for you guys.

I am under no illusion that next year will be tough. I needed help, and so I did the only sensible thing there was to do, which was to ring Jurgen Klopp.

Obviously.

His Liverpool side had just beat Madrid in the UCL final, so understandably he was in a festive mood. Perhaps a touch drunk, too.

happy jurgen.jpg

Happy Jurgen.

"Hi, Klopp, old pal-" I don't get anywhere since he cuts me off immediately.

"AH, F!" Jurgen exclaimed, "How are you doing, my friend? Liverpool 7 times European champions, eh? How does that sound? And we beat Madrid, who... didn't they knock you out? Yeah, yeah, yeah, they did. We beat them with two wonderful, magnificent goals from Diogo Jota... what a signing, what a player."

I needed to take control over the conversation or else he'd go on forever about how he still won despite having several key players sidelined with injury.

"Listen, Kloppo," I said, firmly. "I need your help with this team. My board wants me go further and I'm not sure-"

Again, he cut me off, "F, listen," He sounded serious for the first time in this conversation, "I know what you are going to say. I'm not a politics man. I'm just a football manager, and in the grand scheme of things my job doesn't matter. The most important thing is for you to have fun and enjoy yourself. You, your players and the results will thank you for it."

I ponder this for a second. He has a point.

Klopp continues; I can feel his grin through the phone, "I wish you the best of luck, I really, really do. But I have to go now, for the celebrations and all that. I think Bobby has jumped into a pool somewhere. Someone needs to teach him how to celebrate properly. 7 times! BOOM!" He finishes his rambling, and goes to hang up.

I only had once chance, and I wasn't going to blow it. Advice was not the only things I called him for.

"Jurgen, wait!"

"Yes?" came the muffled reply.

"...Can I come?"

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I ended up in an overgrown hedge, cold and bruised, outside Anfield.

hedge.jpg

See you guys next season.

July / August 2021

Alright lads. It's time to rock the football world.

To do that, we needed to strengthen the squad and refine our tactics. I could confidently say that we were better or at least matched every team we faced last year, but one or two things let us down.

Here's what we got up to in pre-season.

pre season.PNG

I decided to go on a bit of an English tour (mainly to flex Jadon Sancho) and faced three English teams. The first two games were a bit worrying as we were flat in many areas of the pitch, but for our final test against Man United I tweaked our tactic and we dominated the game, scoring one in the process. It gives me hope for our continental push.

I've also had to blur out some new names...

Speaking of these names, we move onto the fun stuff - the transfer window. The board had given us €141M to spend in our final season. But first, we say goodbye to some loyal faces.

Summer Transfer Window

OUT

Marwin Hitz
to Zurich Free

Nothing muuch to say here. The Swiss keeper really didn't do much except disappoint when he played so he goes away on a free transfer.

Goodbye, Marwin!

Roman Burki to Augsburg Loan (wages paid in full, €1.8M fee)

As above, really. Augsburg basically takes him off our hands for us with his deal since we don't have to worry about his wages. How nice! Roman was first choice in my first season and didn't really impress, causing me to spend a record fee on a keeper. He departs with two Bundesliga medals.

Goodbye, Roman!

Thomas Delaney to Koln €26.5M

Delaney was my first choice midfielder in my first season and did reasonably well. However, with Bellingham and Reyna improving leaps and bounds he was moved aside. There was no place for him in the squad anymore so we wave goodbye.

Goodbye, Thomas!

Julian Brandt to Manchester City €91M

I mentioned that Manchester City was sniffing around last year but we'd convinced him to stay. However, I soon regretted that decision as a number of poor performances and a big injury later, I didn't think he'd done enough to warrant a starting place. Regardless, I wasn't really looking to sell him but when City came in with an even bigger wad of cash than they offered last year I accepted it and started looking for a replacement. It's a shame Julian didn't really work out because I liked the lad.

brandt ig.PNG

I can already smell the keyboard warriors shouting to the void that he's not strong enough for the "physicality" of the Premier League.

Goodbye, Julian!

Mahmoud Dahoud to West Brom €20M

Dahoud was very much a fringe player for me last season (and the year before that, really) and I didn't envisage him getting any sort of consistent minutes so he was allowed to go. It's a bit of a shame since he's still 25 and he's German but for the good of his career I had to move him on...

...To West Brom. Good luck, mate.

Goodbye, Mahmoud!

Thorgan Hazard to Beijing Guoan €55M (€70M)

Now this transfer was one that I wasn't expecting. I knew his time was more or less up at the club with the presence of some others ahead of him but to get €160M combined on your second choice wingers? Now that is what you call Borussia Dortmund business. Hazard departs with our blessings, with the best memory we've shared probably being his injury time goal against Chelsea in the UCL.

Inconsequential perhaps, but fun nonetheless. He, Julian, Delaney and Dahoud leave with two Bundesliga medals.

hazard ig.PNG

Goodbye, Thorgan!

We've made a whopping €194M in transfer fees while only spending €174M. Our bank balance is very, very healthy.

IN

Fabian
from Napoli €55M

fabian spain irl.jpg

The new Xavi, Iniesta, or whichever Spanish playmaker you happen to fancy.

Okay, confession time. Fabian was not my first choice. Benfica's Florentino Luis was my first target and about €5M cheaper too. The only problem was his contract demands as he refused to budge from "star player" status, which I wasn't willing to give him.

So he moved to Liverpool as a squad player. Moving on.

Fabian is four years older but still is 25 years young. According to my scouts, he arrives as the best midfielder at the club and is just an all around good player. My scouts say he can blast one in from distance so I expect him to smash in a few goals, even if he does play in the deepest midfield position.

fabian ig.PNG

Welcome, Fabian!

Jonathan Tah from Leverkusen €46M (€73M)

even tahn doesnt rate burki tah irl.jpg

Even Tah doesn't rate Burki.

My obligatory German signing. Jonathan Tah arrives at a decent fee (the add-ons are just random things which Leverkusen accepted) and while not significantly better than what we already have, is cool, calm and great in the air. He also didn't want much money or a high playing status which is definitely a plus. This should make it easier to deal with injuries or suspensions, which screwed us over royally last year.

jonathan tah ig.PNG

Welcome, Jonathan Tah!

Nicolo Zaniolo from Roma €73M (€83M)

nicolo zaniolo irl.jpg

With tattoos like that, Marco will happily welcome you into the squad.

With Brandt's and Hazard's exits we needed a new player who could play on both wings - I already had Reus and Veron as backups to Sancho and Bailey but I decided we needed somebody new. In comes Zaniolo who can play in both the left and right wing, as well as the most attacking central midfield position. I'm really excited to see what he can bring, especially as he is so much quicker than Julian before him.

His arrival might signal Gabriel Veron's departure on loan, however.

zaniolo ig.PNG

Welcome, Nicolo Zaniolo!

The other purchase I made was for a young Brazillian left back from Corinthians I picked up for 69K (snigger), who'll probably go out on loan. Elsewhere, I rejected an offer from a Chinese club for Fischer for about €30M and Inter wanted Meunier (they were willing to give me €50M for him) but their advances were rebuffed and that was that. Veron went out on loan, too.

City targeted Brandt because PSG took Raheem Sterling for €151M, which is... expensive. Curiously, Zidane's Bayern hadn't really done so much in the window, only spending €42M to bring in Embolo from Gladbach as Lewandowski's backup. Perhaps Zidane fancied his chances with what he has currently, but no doubt his board will be watching very closely if this comes back to haunt him.

Obviously, we've also kept Jadon Sancho so we've already won.

The first game of the month was the supercup against Schalke, which was a formality.

schalke supercup.PNG

We win it for the 2nd time in a row, which is a perfect way to kickstart the new campaign.

title odds.PNG

The press also don't rate Bayern anymore, tipping us for the title ahead of them.