Boss Bruce bemoans Bent reliance

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Sunderland boss Steve Bruce admits his side are over-reliant on striker Darren Bent following the stalemate at Blackburn.

More...

Understatement of the season, if he doesn't score we don't score. Steed and Jordan need to start pitching in with 5-6 goals each to take the burden away from him

They need to invest in a second quality striker in the January transfer window.

Very True ... they need to invest in another striker or else this will be a feature of their season

And Fraizer Campbell for backup. One thing Sunderland don't need is another striker.

We have a striker in Gyan :P as well as stated above Welbeck and Campbell we don't need another striker we just need our midfielders to start pulling their fingers out and start scoring

Darren Bent is brilliant. Give him the ball in a decent position and he'll score.

His good work is clearly making others look bad. Poor Sunderland players.

Malbranque hasn't really scored many goals since he left Fulham. He certainly didn't for us.

I might get flamed for this, but I don't think that Gyan will prove to be worth his £12 million price tag. He's young and will learn, but he won't be worth the money, especially when you think that Thierry Henry was signed for £10 million, and he's nowhere near as good.
Welbeck I'm not a huge fan of either; well, not yet anyway. In a few years we'll see where he is and how well he's doing.

So for me, that just leaves Bent as the only decent striker in the squad.

I might get flamed for this, but I don't think that Gyan will prove to be worth his £12 million price tag. He's young and will learn, but he won't be worth the money, especially when you think that Thierry Henry was signed for £10 million, and he's nowhere near as good.

You're comparing 1999 to 2010, in terms of transfer fees?

I do agree though, I can't see Gyan having a massive impact.

Welbeck I'm not a huge fan of either; well, not yet anyway. In a few years we'll see where he is and how well he's doing.

So for me, that just leaves Bent as the only decent striker in the squad.

Due to inflation and the weakening of the pound, he may have been netted for a smaller price if you look closely at the deal.

Whether he was netted at a smaller price or not, it still exceeded £10 million. And yes, I am comparing 2010 to 1999; Henry wasn't a hugely well-known player, and Wenger had him scouted, turning him back to a striker, and ending up with a goalscoring machine.

Gyan had one good World Cup, and Bruce then decided to splash out a huge amount of money on him, being over £10 mil? It just seems like a ridiculous amount for what could become a mediocre player.

I don't think Bruce could get him for anything less. A good world cup means your value skyrockets.

But that's the thing; personally, I don't think he was as amazing at the World Cup as everyone was making him out to be.

Bruce likes to go with 1 up top, i think he should try Bent and Gyan and see what happens.

Whether he was netted at a smaller price or not, it still exceeded £10 million. And yes, I am comparing 2010 to 1999; Henry wasn't a hugely well-known player, and Wenger had him scouted, turning him back to a striker, and ending up with a goalscoring machine.

Gyan had one good World Cup, and Bruce then decided to splash out a huge amount of money on him, being over £10 mil? It just seems like a ridiculous amount for what could become a mediocre player.

You can't compare 1999 to 2010 in regard to transfer fees.

Rest of your post is irrelevant, because that is the bottom line.

You can't compare 1999 to 2010 in regard to transfer fees.

Rest of your post is irrelevant, because that is the bottom line.

Just because Ronaldo went for £80 mil, that seems to mean that every other transfer below £10 mil seems worthless then.

Well you're an ******* for disregarding my post.

Just because Ronaldo went for £80 mil, that seems to mean that every other transfer below £10 mil seems worthless then.

Well you're an ******* for disregarding my post.

There is no need for that. It's just unwise of you to be comparing something right now to something a decade ago. If that's the case, then most deal exceeding 1.2m is not worth it because Cantona costed Man Utd that much.

Back