lpooltillidie

Reaction score
Hi all

So after reading a bit in the LLM section of the forums I thought i would put my liverpool save on the backburner for a while as it was proving a bit easy with a decent sqaud and cash to win and dive into the Lower Leagues and try my hand at working my way up. So I started unemployed and the usual list of vacant jobs came up, applied for three and accepted Braintree on a whim, im now in October of the first year and sitting comfortably at the top of BSS table having just beaten Milwall in the 2nd round of the FA Cup. Ive taken peoples advice about friendly leagues to keep the money flooding in and also managed to get Crystal Palace as a parent club which has been a massive help as they have loaned me Simon Thomas who is great he cant stop scoring and makes a great strike partner for Hockton (who is joint top scorer).

Play a simple 4-4-2 with my wingers shooting down the flanks, all crosses going for Wilson as target man and using the tried and tested corner strategy with my two centre backs in the 6 yard box nodding in goals consistenly.

Im really enjoying the job so far and hope to go on a bit of cup run in the FA cup to keep the money flowing in, im still in both other competitions that are running so its looking good for little Braintree, and as a Liverpool fan its nice to have Rafa say he thinks of me as his friend :)

Would appreciate any advice people have about general LLM in the BSS or Braintree specifically.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Update:

Just been knocked out of the FA Cup by West Ham, beat Stoke in the previous round, through the Setanta Shield Final against Burton, still in the FA Trophy competition at the moment and sitting on top of the BSS 9 points clear with 2 games in hand on 2nd :)

Top Scorers: Simon Watson 30 goals in 33
Daniel Hockton 27 goals in 29

Roll on the rest of the season and the summer :)

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 08:39 PM ----------

Update:

Won the BSS quite convincingly in the end, i think my players took their feet off the gas in the last few games as thy drew a couple of them, anyway finished with 102 points iirc (will check final standings on my lunch break). Got manager of the season and had two players (Hockton and Watson about 55 goals between them)

Now up into the lofty heights of the Blue Square Premier :) ive managed to retain the services of Simon Thomas for another season long loan, which is great bearing in mind he was my top scorer.

Anyway now that I have gone up a league ive managed to attract a couple of players released on frees by Chelsea so ill see how they turn out, i just need to get wage budget reorganised and shed some of the dead wood from the squad.

Does anyone have any recommendations for BSP players that i can get for free or loan :) thanks.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Update (i really should start trying to write these as in game updates)

Im in preseason for 09/10 now, been trying to streamline squad whilst also bringing in players that can cut it in the BSP. Told the board I am aiming for mid table finish and been handed a 10k wage budget and 120k to spend on transfers (thanks to a three good cup runs last season FAT Semis, FA Cup 3 Round and Setana Shield Final), ive managed to secure the services of Dean Windass who even at 40 should give me some experience in the squad, also got a 19 y/o GK from Plymouth who was released who looks to be a good find. Just doing some lucrative pre season leagues with Prem Reserves to keep the bank balance healthy before embarking on Braintrees first season in the BSP, im secretly hoping i can challenge for promotion this season but i will have to see how the first month or so goes to try and see how it will go.

Board confidence is high, they love me for turning down an offer from another club, players are generally happy, and those that werent have been moved on. One black cloud is that the proposed season long loan of Simon Thomas has fallen through as they have sold him to another team, so my search for another striker begins, wish me luck.

Anyway will keep you posted on progress.

Last edited:
hey, I posted my L2 team on my thread (afc telford) got them all on a free while I was on BSP nad they're doign the job to promote me to L1, check specially Ngo Baheng, terrible striker, you need to parise him a lot and always tell him that there's no pressure, but he is a L1 decent striker that can play in BSP check him out, young as well.
And how the **** you finish with a 100 poitns????? Care to share your defensive approach?

Thanks for that, ill take a look at your thread. I will post a pic of the final table for 08/09 when i get a chance, i dont do anything special with tactics, keep it simple for the guys on the pitch. i didnt loose many games and only really starting drawing them towards the end of the season so the points all add up.

standard 4-4-2 tactics, wingers running forward, instructions to play attacking, long balls, pushing the play down both wings and crossing for the target man. i dont tend to adjust too much before a match and then try and change things as a game progresses. i set up corners to favour my to centre backs, they both mark the keeper and then i get my best corner taker to aim for the 6 yard box, theyve both ended up with a fair goal haul between them.

anyway, ill see how the new season goes and keep these updates going.

I do exactly the same thing as you lol, besides the target man because it goes against my beliefs (almost not joking), so I'll just assume that my defenders suck.

I was surprised how well it worked for me from corners, more so for my Liverpool team, Srna taking corners Carragher and Skrtl knocking in headers for fun. But for Braintree the centre backs that play get a good amount of goals, i really need to get a better corner taker and will see if i can find one before the transfer window shuts. I havent really had a proper chance to sit down and look at the squad since the pre season started so will weed out the dead wood and bring in some loaned talent for some extra strength

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 04:11 PM ----------

Man the BSP is so much tougher than the league below, really gonna have to fight in this one, currently 6th 17 games in with 31 points.

What a month, won all my games and now im sitting 3 points clear at the top of the BSP. Just won the Setana Shield, Scunthorpe knocked me out of the FA Cup but im still in the FA Trophy, so all in all not bad at the moment. My 19 y/o GK from Plymouth was a good find, not got a bad record for a BSP team (still not great and will prob have to get better if i secure back to back promotions) i think i have about 10 games to go this season excluding competitions so will see how many of those i can get through on my lunch hour today :)

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

End of Season 2 (09/10) The mighty Braintree Town have managed to win the Blue Square Premier League and gain promotion to League 1.

Final Standings for the season

Played 46 Won 27 Drawn 17 Lost 2 Goals For 85 Goals Against 50 Points 98

Top Scorer Danny Hockton 25
Most Assists Matty Crowell 17
Man of Match Matty Crowell 7

Signing of the Season Matty Crowell (free)

Other key signings

Tom Taiwo (DM, MC)
Lloyd Saxton (GK)
Sean Paul Marna (AM, ST)
Colin Larkin (ST)
Dean Windass
Tony Bedeau (AM)

Season Honours:

Blue Square Prem: Champions
Setana Shield: Winners
FA Cup: 3rd Round (knocked out by Scunthorpe)
FA Trophy: 2nd Round (bad day at the office against Oxford)

New parent club is QPR though might reassess that now I have got promotion. The board have just agreed to upgrade our training and youth facilities.

League 2 beckons and I am focussed on the season break to try and build a squad to avoid relegation in the new league, gonna be some harsh decisions to make with my squad as it is on the large side and some of the players will be released over the summer.

Anyway, all in all a great season just have to see how much of step up the new league will provide, im predicting a massive one, but Braintree wont go down without a fight.

Oh yeah and randomly Cardiff offered me Michale Chopra for 6 million pounds, i politely responded that my total transfer budget for the season was 120k and had to decline their offer hehe

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:21 PM ----------

Man League 2 is hard, one game in and already feeling the strain, lost it 3-1 to an average Kettering side, really gotta change my tactics and playing style I think, the board have given me Ipswich and they have lent me a couple of good players for the season. Still finding it a massive step up in terms of pace and quality of the opponents. Any hints for making the step up as I dont want to become the whipping boy of the division. Signed a 19 Spanish central defender who looks like he might develop nicely, the board love me for turning down 3 job offers over the summer, i just need to try and split my squad into those that are capable of playing at this level and those that arent.

Also i fired my assistant manager, but still havent managed to fill the vacancy which puts me at a slight disadvantage, anyone know of a good assistant to get for a league 2 side? I did a bit of a reshuffle with my other staff, got some better coaches in, but used a lot of my transfer budget paying compensation, hopefully be worth it :)

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Man League 2 is hard, one game in and already feeling the strain, lost it 3-1 to an average Kettering side, really gotta change my tactics and playing style I think, the board have given me Ipswich and they have lent me a couple of good players for the season. Still finding it a massive step up in terms of pace and quality of the opponents. Any hints for making the step up as I dont want to become the whipping boy of the division. Signed a 19 Spanish central defender who looks like he might develop nicely, the board love me for turning down 3 job offers over the summer, i just need to try and split my squad into those that are capable of playing at this level and those that arent.

Also i fired my assistant manager, but still havent managed to fill the vacancy which puts me at a slight disadvantage, anyone know of a good assistant to get for a league 2 side? I did a bit of a reshuffle with my other staff, got some better coaches in, but used a lot of my transfer budget paying compensation, hopefully be worth it :)

Last edited:
Back end of the season went my way in the end, wins and draws aplenty and have somehow against the odds managed to get the 3rd automatic promotion place and now im in league 1, i kind of wish i was still in league 2 so i had another season to build up the squad. i need some free league 1 standard players :)

Update

Currently in 11/12 season sitting in 5th place in League 1 with 33 games gone and into the final of Johnstones Paint trophy.

In 12/13 season sitting 15 points clear at the top of the league with 12 games to go

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:21 PM ----------

Update

Won League 1 with 100 points unbeaten in the season, now in the new season sitting in first place in the Championship. New stadium due to be built by 2015 so can finally get a decent crowd in

picture.php

Previous league finish

Top Scorer

picture.php

picture.php

Help!! I got promoted to the Premier League as runner up in 2013/14 season, im bricking it at the moment having to play such strong opposition every week, ive tried to strengthen my team but its still hard to attract players to Braintree :) anyway wish me luck

Currently sitting in 10th in the League with 6 games to go, just won the Carling Cup against Aston Villa which was a nail biter, have to see if i can climb up the table a bit more, media predicted i would finish 20th so hahaha :)

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:49 PM ----------

Hi all

Ended up 9th in my first season in the Premier League, over the summer i got rid of some of my players that had been with me since League 2 who could no longer cut it in the top flight. I had 32million to spend and bought Danny Guthrie for 17m and Stephen Ireland for 7m to strengthen my midfield, I had bought Alan Smith the previous season but sold him on to West Brom for 1m as he was getting on a bit and slowing down. Depressingly my new stadium has been delayed by 4 months so will have to wait a bit longer for a nice new venue. Board initially expected me to avoid relegation, but i upped it to top half finish so will see if that was a mistake come the end of the season :) first couple of games in have been 2 losses and a draw but they were against Man City, Man Utd and Chelski so can be forgiven for not strolling through them.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

First season in the Premiership end of season table

BarclaysPremierLeague.png

End of the second season in the Premier Leauge, having looked in a bit a of a state at the start of the season, I managed to turn things around with a new tactical set up and a few good signings and ended up 6th. This is an improvement on last year and means I have managed to get back into Europe again (qualified last time through as Carling Cup winners). Great money spinner.

Start of season expectations are for a top half finish 25million to spend 300k wage budget. New stadium is now open, was initially planned when i was still in the Championship so its only 12k (rising to 15k in 4 months) but its a big improvement on Cressing Road (only 250 seats the rest standing).

No idea who to sign in this transfer window, asking a few of my experienced players for suggestions and scouted the European Championships for promising players.