Cheerio

Reaction score
Hi guys. Started playing FM recently and wonna make my own tactics but with amount of tactical options simple try/error method would be too much time consuming so I need to decrease the amount of variables. For example most tactics I download have short passing and counter attack turned off. So does it mean that in FM 2011 short passing and no counter attacking gives superior results? Or they only work well with other tactical options which are?? Or also I see a lot of tactics with wingers. Does this type of formation is superior to other? What other tactical options are required to make it work? So in other words I need a list of some basic principles of what works or doesnt that you guys learned from this game via trial and error method. I try to start:
- formations with attacking wingers tend to be strong
- short passing gives generally best results
- near post crossing on corners gives best results
- it is a bad idea to give attacking mentality to your DCs so if you have attacking mentality for the team make sure DCs have theirs manually adjusted
- high defensive line works well with attacking mentality and playing off-side

Any advice would be appreciated even the most minor one. It doesnt need to be universal truth, if according to your experience in FM 2011 something works (or does not) it is worth sharing. If a lot of advice will be gathered it will be most helpful list for beginers.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Started playing FM recently and wonna make my own tactics but with amount of tactical options simple try/error method would be too much time consuming so I need to decrease the amount of variables. For example most tactics I download have short passing and counter attack turned off. So does it mean that in FM 2011 short passing and no counter attacking gives superior results? Or they only work well with other tactical options which are?? Or also I see a lot of tactics with wingers. Does this type of formation is superior to other? What other tactical options are required to make it work? So in other words I need a list of some basic principles of what works or doesnt that you guys learned from this game via trial and error method. I try to start:
- formations with attacking wingers tend to be strong
- short passing gives generally best results
- near post crossing on corners gives best results
- it is a bad idea to give attacking mentality to your DCs so if you have attacking mentality for the team make sure DCs have theirs manually adjusted
- high defensive line works well with attacking mentality and playing off-side

Any advice would be appreciated even the most minor one. It doesnt need to be universal truth, if according to your experience in FM 2011 something works (or does not) it is worth sharing. If a lot of advice will be gathered it will be most helpful list for beginers.

Using short passing, high defensive line, high pressng and attacking/controlling mentality is just because people want to make attractive football. For best results I would use a few different approaches, sometimes controlling possession, but against stronger opponents playing on a counter.

I would definitely say that there is no superior approach, using wingers instead of using narrow formation isn't superior, short passing isn't superior and so on. There is lots of ways to be succesful, and that is one of the reasons why this game has so good tactical side. Best manager knows the right time to use a certain approach.

Make a tactic suited to your players or get players suited to your tactic. thats the main thing in FM.

No form of passing or whatever is more successful overall but if you use a certain form of passing that suits your team you will do better

Best manager knows the right time to use a certain approach.
So can you share a few pieces of knowledge of what to do in which situation? I need at least anything I can actually use in practice.

Make a tactic suited to your players or get players suited to your tactic. thats the main thing in FM.

No form of passing or whatever is more successful overall but if you use a certain form of passing that suits your team you will do better
so you are advising to pick player roles from the tactics editor based on what good attributes a player has? I can do that. But I'm sure the tactics are much more than that. Anything else? Mb some advice on what counters what?

Last edited:
So can you share a few pieces of knowledge of what to do in which situation? I need at least anything I can actually use in practice.

There is too many variables to give a good answer, depends on your management style, strength of your squad, what kind of players you have available, how many players for each position (you don't want to use only 1 striker if you have 3 world class strikers in your team), how does your opponent play, home or away fixture etc.

To learn something, I would go to The Better Half's 4-1-2-2-1 Final sets thread and read some of The Better Half's posts, you can learn a lot from him. Also download the tactics, and if you like and know how to, tweak them to your liking.