Cleggerzzz

Reaction score
So pretty much, my 1st season with Tottenham is going pretty well, top of the league by quite a bit.

Despite this, some of my games I get lots of shots and possession but usually end out snatching the result with few clear cut chances. The opponent however, may have very few shots, but almost all of them are clear cut chances, and at the moment lloris and some individual brilliance (e.g Gylfi free kick) is the main reason I'm winning these matches.

So I was hoping someone might be able to help me for a tactic to break down these teams near the bottom of the table a bit better, without being as defensively vulnerable at the same time.
View attachment 351855View attachment 351854View attachment 351853I should add that I'm not yet sure on Soldados role, its been changed around quite a few times (Also, as you can see I'm using a pressing, possession tactic)

When weaker teams stubbornly hold out against you, it's usually because their full-backs are blocking most of your crosses at source while the centre-backs are heading everything else away. Attacks through the middle just get bogged down and what chances you do create are from long-range or snapshots from tight angles or under defensive pressure. So, how to overcome this.

By creating a High Tempo system that attacks on both wings and in the channels, with attackers able to pull defenders out of position, get into the box for crosses and work the centre-backs in those channels. Your midfield needs to recognise where the attacking space is and be able to play More Direct Passes to exploit it, and a player like Christian Eriksen can be used to run at the opposition to create openings for himself and team-mates.

In a 3-5-2 with a flat midfield 5, you could play Vertonghen as a Ball-Playing Defender in between Dawson and another solid centre-back; push Davies to WM(L)_Support with instructions to put crosses in; slot Eriksen into the centre M_C position as Advanced Playmaker_Attack with Paulinho as Deep-Lying Playmaker_Support on one side of him and Ball-Winning Midfielder_Defend on the other, both with instructions to play More Direct Passes so they can switch the play; if you still have Aaron Lennon then he can play at WM(R)_Support with instructions to Cross From Byline; which leaves room for two strikers - a False-9_Support and an Advanced Forward_Attack, who should play on whichever side corresponds to his better foot to increase his effectiveness in the channels.

High Tempo, short passing at the team level will enable your team to pull the opposition this way and that, while the more direct playing central midfielders can change the angle of attack from one side to the other. Eriksen attacks through the middle with two strikers going one-long, one-short to offer options ahead of him, and wide players providing support, too.

Play a high line, with Hassle Opponents and Get Stuck In so that your defensive midfielders and Vertonghen can win the ball back quickly. A good No.10 will be able to release strikers into your defensive channels now-and-again, so Lloris will have to earn his money - but you should dominate and create plenty of chances to end up on top.