Portugal vs. France vs. Hungary

Coefficients coming into the season
5th) 58.298 France
6th) 43.738 Portugal
7th) 43.700 Hungary

Realistically, I'm not gonna do 17 points better than France in one season, but I'm virtually neck and neck with Portugal and if my teams do well this year, I'll be top 6! France had a very good 2032/2033 season and it will drop off next season while Hungary had a very poor year that will drop off so I will make up 10 pts there, and I could possibly have a top 5 league with two solid European campaigns here if France doesn't do so well.

French teams in Europe( 6 teams)

Champions League Group Stage - PSG, AS Monaco
Champions League Best Place Playoff - Marseille
Europa League Group Stage - Lyon
Europe League 3rd Qualifying Rd. - OGC Nice, AS Saint Etienne

Portuguese teams in Europe (6 teams)

Champions League Group Stage - FC Porto, Sporting CP
Champions League Best Place Playoff - Benfica
Europa League Group Stage - SC Braga
Europa League 3rd Qualifying Rd. - Estoril, OS Belenenses

Hungarian teams in Europe (5 teams)

Champions League Group Stage - Debrecen
Champions League Best Place 3rd Qualifying Rd. - Ujpest
Europa League Group Stage - MTK Budapest
Europa League 3rd Qualifying Rd. - Ferencvarosi, Videoton FC

You've come along in leaps and bounds, congrats!

I'm wondering if it affects the French League by spending so much money on players, that they won't be able to improve as a result of FFP now?

You've come along in leaps and bounds, congrats!

I'm wondering if it affects the French League by spending so much money on players, that they won't be able to improve as a result of FFP now?

I thought that too, I didn't want to affect any other leagues so what we do is, we add the money to a newly promoted french side and then spend that amount, we leave the team with a little extra money for wages.

The players we buy don't improve the team at all, they are 16 year old regens, they have no agent fees and they don't ask for crazy money.

We tried other leagues, outside of Europe but we had a hard time with players not wanting to go. With the French league, the players usually accept the offers on the first try.

2036/37 European Campaigns

Champions League Best Placed Rd. 3

(aggregate scores)
Ujpest (Hungary) 5-1 Austria Wien (Austria)
Streda (Slovakia) 1-4 Benfica (Portugal)

Europa League 3rd Rd. Qualifying

Videoton FC (Hungary) 6-0 FK Partizan (Serbia)
Ferencvarosi (Hungary) 5-0 MSK Zilina (Slovakia)
OGC Nice (France) 5-0 Thessaloniki (Greece)
Estoril (Portugal) 2-1 FC Nordsjalaend (Denmark)
AS Saint Etienne (France) 5-1 Vitesse (Holland)
OS Belenenses (Portugal) 4-1 FC Vaduz (Liechtenstein)

Coefficient Standings - August 9, 2036
View attachment 175892

I've passed Portugal in the standings so far, and currently sit 1 spot away from my goal, but a big match looms in the next round

View attachment 175891

Ujpest and Benfica have been drawn together. Ujpest has been my second best team over the past decade. This will be a good litmus test to see if my league is strong enough to take the next step. It's Champions League so the loser stays in Europe, just to the Europa League. It wouldn't be terrible if we lost, but it wouldn't be great either. Slovakia (Mike) has quietly gotten back into the race and sit 2 spots below me.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so we managed to get to 2041 with really no major progress and we realized that it's time to call this experiment a failure and close it down. To top it off, I just typed a detailed summary of the 24 seasons that we completed and then I lost it!

This brings my record in FM Stories to 0-2 after tried to buy a World Cup for Portugal
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...58908-sporting-club-trying-buy-world-cup.html

However, I will try one more time by logging our next experiment! Mike came up with a great idea shortly after we began this one, so it's been kind of in our minds to do it. But first, here's a brief summary of our Millionaires game:

I reached the highest league standing at #6, where I finished. I was at #6 for the last 5 seasons but the teams in front of me extended their lead to the point where I was at least 5 years away from catching any of them.So, we went from the 30's to league#'s 6, 10 and 12. Not too bad for 24 years.

The closest any team came to winning the Champions League was Debrecen with an appearance in the final (after we decided to pull the plug on this, go figure) in 2041, losing to Manchester City

And finally, the National teams were a disaster. I learned that money can only do so much (better coaches, facilities) but the youth rating of a country is what it is, and that will never change, so we didn't have any impact at all here. Without controlling the team there is no way any of us would win the World Cup.

So, thanks for reading, if you made it this far and I hope to do better with my next story. My brothers idea was that we clone a wonder kid and make 3 copies of him. Then we would each control one, by choosing his teams and nationality and see who can be the most successful.

By the way, the whole point of this was that the winner would be exempt from hosting Christmas dinner at their house this year which, if you've ever hosted 20 people for dinner, is a huge pain in the rump.

A shame to see this end, it was really fascinating and enjoyable :) I look forward to the next one!

Shame. It was one of the most interesting ideas I've seen, was very keenly following!

I tried something similar to this on fm15, gave my fav team (ipswich town) loads of cash then simming the season, gave up after 2 seasons though, as after spending £50+million on transfers couldnt get out of the championship. Good old mick mcCarthy!

Thanks, guys. I think the idea of improving the National teams so drastically was flawed. It was also difficult to keep up with the story because my brothers would come over and we'd blast through 5 or 6 seasons in just a couple hours. I think the next story will be much better and better planned. We're going to follow the careers of 3 players so there is not the possibility of the challenge going on for decades and decades.

Also, every year my one brother, Lou, and I play a season in the Brazilian league, starting in April when the actual league starts and we play straight through until December , mirroring the actual league fixtures. This year Mike wanted to get in on it, but because he lives a little further away we decided that it would be too difficult to do the entire league so I think we're gonna follow the Copa Libertadores and sim the league games. If we do wind up doing that I'll definitely log that story here as well.