Brian McDermott sacked.

Joel`

Reaction score
Reading have sacked manager Brian McDermott following a dismal run of results that has left the club joint-bottom of the Premier League.

A 2-1 home defeat to fellow strugglers Aston Villa on Saturday was the club's fourth in a row and left them four points from safety.

McDermott, who joined the club as chief scout in 2000 before eventually succeeding Brendan Rodgers as manager on a full-time basis in January 2010, guiding the club to the Premier League two years later.

A statement from the club read: "Reading Football Club has announced today the departure of manager Brian McDermott.

"Owner Anton Zingarevich wishes to place on record his thanks to Brian who had achieved great success with the club since taking over as manager in December 2009.

"Brian gained promotion to the Barclays Premier League last year for only the second time in the club's history thanks to a remarkable run at the end of last season. However, in our current situation, owner Anton Zingarevich felt that a change was necessary.

"The search for a successor will start immediately and it is hoped that a new Manager will be in place as soon as possible to lead the fight against potential relegation."

More to follow.

Premier League strugglers Reading sack manager Brian McDermott | Sky Sports

Poor decision. Only so much can be done with the weakest squad in the league, would have been well set to re-build next year if they are relegated and try again for a stronger push. Only have to look at what happened to Wolves last year..

Hope they don't go for Adkins, I want him at Leeds!

Hope they don't go for Adkins, I want him at Leeds!

Di Canio looks odds on at the moment. He was at the game at the weekend, so it looks pretty nailed on.. - although I suppose he could have been there for the comedy value.

As much as i don't agree with the sacking i think Di Canio would be the best fit. If they stay up then great, if they don't then a young hungry manager can start again.

As much as i don't agree with the sacking i think Di Canio would be the best fit. If they stay up then great, if they don't then a young hungry manager can start again.

Would be great to have Di Canio in the PL too, even for 9 games. Missed a character since Olly went.

Heard this was going to happen on Talksport few hours before it happened. Shame it happened. As mentioned in OP what could he have done with such a weak squad? Di Canio as interim, then Adkins comes in imo

what do you expect really, there's just not enough quality i.e premier league quality. in his squad. for example buying blackman for 1.5 million, and playing him above le fondre. players like hart etc.. are not BPL quality. his tactics are also really questionable at times. bit harsh though the sacking, however they were always going to go down.

To be expected really there is no quality in that side most are Championship/League 1 quality apart from Le Fondre, Leigterwood, and Pogebrynak (spelling?)

They can have pulis from soke if they want..May give us a chance to bring in a decent manager then

I always thought Pogrebnyak would be a gamble without improving other area's of the team. I can't see how McDermott can be blamed seeing he has worked as well as he could with the resources he had. You know you have your work cut out for the rest of the season when you miss out on your intended January transfer targets and up bringing in a player from League Two instead.

Another manager becomes a victim of his own success. Deserved to see out the season and try again next season. However I have this weird feeling that Di Canio would be a great instalment. He’d likely **** off half the squad but galvanise the rest.

To be expected really there is no quality in that side most are Championship/League 1 quality apart from Le Fondre, Leigterwood, and Pogebrynak (spelling?)

You're an idiot.

Liegetwood got boo'd off on Saturday.
Adam Le Fondre is utter ***** when starting games. Only good for 10 minutes a match.
And Pogrebnyak is currently on a 3 match suspension and hasn't scored in godknows how long.

There are not premierleague players in our squad and McDermott is to blame for that. He was given a competitive budget but instead spent it on lower league ***** and the bid for Sigurdsson on the last day of January when it was too late.

Also, his tactics are ****.

I'd like to add on, if you think sacking him is so that another man can keep us up you're wrong. Everyone at Reading know we've been relegated. We're not planning for the future and next season in the Championship. If we stay up then of course that is a bonus.

Would be great to have Di Canio in the PL too, even for 9 games. Missed a character since Olly went.

If we have anything to say about it, Olly will be back next season, just you wait.

You're an idiot.

Liegetwood got boo'd off on Saturday.
Adam Le Fondre is utter ***** when starting games. Only good for 10 minutes a match.
And Pogrebnyak is currently on a 3 match suspension and hasn't scored in godknows how long.

There are not premierleague players in our squad and McDermott is to blame for that. He was given a competitive budget but instead spent it on lower league ***** and the bid for Sigurdsson on the last day of January when it was too late.

Also, his tactics are ****.

I'd like to add on, if you think sacking him is so that another man can keep us up you're wrong. Everyone at Reading know we've been relegated. We're not planning for the future and next season in the Championship. If we stay up then of course that is a bonus.

Why so defensive? I never said sacking the man and getting another would save you. Fair enough on Leigterwood and Pogrebnyak but I am only basing things on what I have seen. Also, it would'nt be wise to insult my intelligence, lest you suffer my ire.

Feel for him slightly, but his signings, and on occasion his tactics, have been poor. Been far harsher sackings this seasons.

Be careful what you wish for mate, Charlton tried something different when Curbishley went.

He wasn't sacked, nor did the fans want him to leave. Mark Lawrenson seems to have convinced people that this was the case, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Also it wasn't Curbishley leaving which ****** Charlton, it was the **** appointments which followed :p