Brighton And Hove Albion - Almost Isn't Good Enough

hullfan123

Reaction score
2z6xnnr.png

Brighton have always been a team (since their promotion) who are there or thereabouts. They haven't finished lower than 10th in the Championship since their first season back in 11/12. 3 years of constant challenges of promotion. Always falling at the final hurdle - This is the time it changes.

This season hasn't been their best. They languish 20th with Sami Hypia struggling to adapt to the English system. He has a wealth of talent at his disposal, and a team capable of winning the league. This is where I come in, to prove that exact point. They can win the league.

Some say it's a computer game, I call it, well, a computer game I guess. But it isn't any computer game, this is Football Manager 2015!

My name is Callum Gilbey, and i'm going to take Brighton to the top!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to anyone who reads/read this update - All feedback is welcome!

Brighton And Hove Albion - Almost Isn't Good Enough - The Squad

2z6xnnr.jpg

I started with a fairly normal manager style: Suggested the experience based on Brighton and didn't adjust any of the attributes:

beczdh.png

On Football Manager, The Albion do have a very strong team. It has depth in most positions but it does lack a centre back and a right winger (or 2!) Here is the breakdown:

Goalkeepers:
30271tz.png

We are fairly solid in this position, Christian Walton is a great prospect whilst David Stockdale is a brilliant keeper for this level. Casper Ankergen is just going to stay around because he is on cheap wages and if an injury happens to Stockdale he can step in and do a job.

Right Backs:
v5b9tf.png

We are more than solid in this position i'd say, Bruno is a fantastic right back and has all the qualities needed to succeed at his level whereas Inigo Calderon can just be his backup for a couple of years. The only problem I forsee is they are both quite old.

Left Backs:
x4kidv.png

Again, we are adequately prepared in this position. Bennett is only on loan but he is a fantastic left back and Chicksen is young and despite what FM thinks, he can grow. Maybe not the best in the world but sometimes these players just get Left Back. (I already have my coat.)

Centre Backs:
14mav68.png

We have no depth whatsoever in this position. Hughes is just old, Greer is also fairly old, and Dunk is a centre back who somehow has no idea how to mark a player. One or two reinforcements needed here!

Defensive Midfield:
107rr6o.png

They will be playing a more defensive, Ball Winning role hence why Holla isn't a DM. As you will see, I put Crofts in that position as I want these to cover the centre backs so the full backs can push forward. No reinforcements needed, we have more than enough cover.

Central Midfield:
5ogo08.png

Most likely, a couple of these will have loans terminated or will be sold on, as we have no need for this many midfielders. Some will stay and provide cover for the DM/CM spot but I haven't decided who. They will act as a primary deep lying playmaker to stay deep and maybe thread some passes into the wingers.

Right Wingers:

We could do with buying a couple! - We don't have any!

Left Wingers:
2r6iq0x.png

They will provide the main attacking outlet for the team, playing as an inside forward to try and cut in and get on the end of crosses which evade the AMC/ST. Hopefully, one will also stay wide to provide an overlap option. The roles may need tweaking to a winger in game!

Attacking Midfielders:
2eb8ol0.png

They will hopefully drop deep to collect the ball from the DLP or drift out wide and in the box, playing a menacing role which sort of switches throughout the match and builds a strong partnership with the wingers! Maybe a player could come in here but I won't cry if not!

Strikers:
2unwo5j.png

A traditional poacher, they will stay in and around the box to get on the end of crosses and attacking moves, playing quick one two's etc. Baldock and O'Grady will be the main two, with Mackail-Smith being sold and the Spanish lad doing something on the bench every week.

The Tactic:
6sdpb6.png

A 4-1-1-2-1 that worked brilliantly for me on FM14, it utilises full backs that will attack, going for overlaps with the wingers, whilst the 2 central midfield men cover the back 4 and play simple passes. The main creative outlet being the attacking 3 behind the poacher.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for reading guys, a bit of a longer update but it's the main pre season one that will happen every season so we can see the evolution of the squad! :) All comments are welcome, and any transfer tips!​

You better do well or i will kill you :p lol btw O'Grady is great on here, March can play on the right wing as can Colunga, i would advise to use Toko as well, i would also advise to sell Ankergren and bring in another GK as well someone like Ben Amos who has been great for me, Dunk should be first choice CB but yeah you will need to bring in one more CD, 1 or 2 Wingers and th that will be it but i guess i have to trust your judgement ;)

You better do well or i will kill you :p lol btw O'Grady is great on here, March can play on the right wing as can Colunga, i would advise to use Toko as well, i would also advise to sell Ankergren and bring in another GK as well someone like Ben Amos who has been great for me, Dunk should be first choice CB but yeah you will need to bring in one more CD, 1 or 2 Wingers and th that will be it but i guess i have to trust your judgement ;)

Well if you are who I think you are, you definitely haven't changed, threatening to kill me n'all :p - O'Grady does look great with that heading. Colunga is basically going to be hanging around all 4 of the attacking roles, probs starting 50% of the time.

Thanks for the tip, I will now try and see what money I can get for him and i'll bring in Amos (He usually gets released by United so i'll wait a bit before i go in for him!) - Toko was going to always stay as his defensive stats look brilliant! And finally, Dunk will have to work on his marking for me, but, i will give him a run in pre season and compare him to Hughes!

Great write up Callum, considering you said you were poor at writing about your saves I'd say you've done a good job so far!

Can't wait to see how it progresses. :)

Great write up Callum, considering you said you were poor at writing about your saves I'd say you've done a good job so far!

Can't wait to see how it progresses. :)
Thanks! Sam could probably tell you how awful I was at writing :) And how many of these I used to start :p

Brighton And Hove Albion - Almost Isn't Good Enough - Pre Season

2z6xnnr.jpg

Pre Season

*Sorry, I forgot to grab screenshots of the pre season so it's not all fancy :p It will be in the season updates *

mt85fo.png

I'm just going to talk about Pre-Season overall as it was very very generic. I tried a lot of different things in terms of instructions and the line ups so we had no real stability proven by some of the dodgy results. Anyway, this isn't the important bit because really, who cares about the friendlies???

Transfers

The important bit :D

wsky8w.png

OUTGOINGS:

All the youth that had no future! They were just awful and I wanted to be the nicest and let them go to find a sunday league club :)

Craig Mackail-Smith: He wasn't needed and Forest came in with a 950k bid, GOODBYE! Maybe, he can learn to finish in the middle of Nottingham! :)

The loanees: Just young players not good enough for a breakthrough yet but have decent potential. More to come in the loanee department!

INCOMINGS:

James Forrest: He is a fantastic right midfielder with tons of pace, he will hopefully be the player to start on the right for us! 800k is a bargain and he is only on 13kp/w.

Michael Bostwick: He is a solid centre back who came in on a cheap deal for less than a million quid. He will probably start alongside Lewis Dunk who did impress during pre season. Only 26 so can improve and if we get promoted and he isn't good enough for backup (unlikely) he can be sold for a tidy profit.

Kostrna, Lopez and Dombaxe: All 3 are just free transfers offered to me by agents. They were all young and have great potential. Dombaxe is the one most likely to make a breakthrough as he already is 2* CA!

Fran Merida: Remember him? Arsenal prodigy forever in Fabregas' shadow. Last at Athletico Pareneese, he was offered to me by his agent and wanted reasonable wages. Will allow Solly March the ability to cover the wings and he is a quality creative player himself!

Domonic Gape: I didn't actually know about this transfer until now! My DOF must have picked him up, but i'm happy he did because he has amazing potential and was only cheap! Even if he doesn't become a starter he will be sold for a big profit.

There will be more to come in terms of transfers!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading again guys, sorry, this one is very scruffy! - I had forgot to get various screenshots after continuing past them. It will definitely look better when I get a proper template done tomorrow!

Some nice signing there mate! good luck for the season