Southerner

Reaction score
View attachment 51689
FK Vojvodina Novi Sad

Prologue

In an attempt to re-enact my favourite Football Manager save in my 10 years of buying the series at BATE Borisov in Belarus where I spent over 30 years at the helm on Football Manager 2011, I have started with another team in an obscure footballing nation where I am hoping to have an impact. This time, I have opted for Serbia and the team Vojvodina, a team with not quite as much history though a solidified presence in the top tier of Serbian football. Since the revolution from Yugoslavia, the side have won just 1 Serbian trophy, the Cup, and with no league titles to their name, that is at the forefront of my wishlist of accomplishments heading into the save. European dominance; a far off ambition, though in the short term I am hoping to put in decent performances in Europe, starting with the Europa League in my inaugural season. Potentially the save sees me move on from Novi Sad, though I hope for that day to come after the taste of the best European champagne...

Transfers

Having opted for a 5-2-3 formation found on the forums, I had a few weaknesses which were pointed out in the team report; defence being the main place for improvement. Although I tried to remove a few team members there were no outgoing transfers this year, something to aim for in the Winter perhaps, but I am definitely looking to play a game full of rotation, especially with the discipline expected to play a counter attacking ideology.

View attachment 51672
Nikola Raspopovic - Free Transfer
A solid defensive backup, able to play at the heart of defence on a regular basis hopefully. More of a rotation player to keep the main 3-5 fit throughout the season, but could potentially work his way into the scene with good performances.

View attachment 51671
Milos Petrovic - 19M Din
A good little signing that can play backup along the whole of our backline though brought in mainly for his ability at right wing back. He took up about half of our budget heading into the season but I'm pretty sure that if he fulfils his potential he can keep his role competitive, wherever that might end up being.

View attachment 51670
Nikola Kovacevic - Free Transfer
Another free transfer that I'm pretty excited about the potential of. At 23 he can definitely look to do a job starting off from the bench and potentially breaking into the argument for centre back. He's solid overall and has excellent physical and mental stats.

View attachment 51669
Nenad Cvetkovic - 16.5M Din
The other half of our transfer budget was spent on the incoming transfer of this particularly talented 21 year old Serbian national. His technicals are a bit of a letdown though the rest of his package is rather impressive in my most humble of opinions. Another option off the bench for the season though I'm definitely hoping that he, in particular, comes back to bite the hand that fed him in league favourites and former club Crvena Zvezda.

View attachment 51668
Giannis Charontakis - Free Transfer
Looked a little better from his stat ranges though a decent option at the back. Was sent on loan to his home country to try and improve his ability at LWB though wasn't particularly pleased at the news after discussing it with him. Might just be a player we look to sell on to a Greek team after his loan spell away from the club should he begin causing problems with complaints. Part of my philosophy is to be a bit of a selling club to teams abroad so potentially a player that fits into that role quite nicely for us.

Results

View attachment 51667
Europa League 1st Qualifying Round 1st Leg
Vojvodina 3 Torpedo Kt. 3
Slightly concerning performance in our first competitive outing though I put it down to the lack of preparation before the Europa League 1st Qualifying Round. We managed to find our scoring boots though looked lacklustre considering the investment in the backline.

View attachment 51666
Europa League 1st Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
Torpedo Kt. 1 Vojvodina 4

Much better result in the away leg than in the home leg. Good finishing all round as we had scorers from defence, midfield and striker this time around, the brace coming from our Right Wing Back, rather impressively. Sees us through to face Kazakhstan outfit Irtysh Pavlodar.

View attachment 51665
Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round 1st Leg
Vojvodina 1
Irtysh Pavlodar 0
First clean sheet of the season and a well-earned victory. Potentially should have won by more though considering the players' discomfort with the formation and their roles I'll take any and every win, moreover clean sheet.

View attachment 51664
Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
Irtysh Pavlodar 0 Vojvodina 1
A 73rd minute winner away from home to leave them needing 2 in the remaining 17 minutes of the game. Relatively comfortable in the end though a game we definitely didn't play our best in, a trend we need to buck ahead of our league opener against rivals Spartak.

View attachment 51663
SuperLeague Prelim Matchday 1
Spartak 1 Vojvodina 2
Satisfying victory though we left it until the 78th minute to come into the match. Striker, Subotic, with a penalty miss by practically acres left me disappointed so a couple of changes (including the taker) enacted somewhat of a better performance in the end.

View attachment 51662
Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round 1st Leg
Panionios 1 Vojvodina 1
Another missed penalty left various inky scratchings to highlight the fact I needed to take Subotic off the set pieces before the pen met the window, and it worked as we claimed an away goal with a second penalty of the match. Disappointing to draw after I feel we could have snuck away with a victory, however probably the right result and leaves us with an away goal and a chance of progressing. The home leg is going to be tricky but with our unbeaten form thus far, I can only hope we continue said run.
View attachment 51661
SuperLeague Prelim Matchday 2
Vojvodina 0 Mladost 0
Disappointing not to come away with all 3 points though a result I will settle for nonetheless against a decent outfit. We had chances that I feel like my grandmother could put away though, as previously mentioned, the team is adjusting to the way I have told them to play, and still are lacking considerable experience with it, especially the strikers who I am attempting to rotate.

Summary

A good start to proceedings in Serbia in my first adventure in the nation. We are one of only 4 teams unbeaten in the league thus far and have followed it up with a good showing in Europe thus far, taking an away goal into the 3rd Qualifying Round 2nd Leg. We've conceded few though haven't been clinical enough for my liking in front of goal, and with players who prefer being on the wing, I'm finding it increasingly regrettable that I didn't invest in an attacking option before the season started, though with no transfer budget and with us being over our wage budget, I don't see it happening until next summer unless the board invests in us. Next month I have the opportunity to take the team to the Europa League Group Stage which I would consider a grand success though I know very well that it's going to be a tough ask, even if we do progress against Panionios.