Reaction score
Bringing Moneyball To Ashton Gate

View attachment 270920

The Setup

So as most of you will know Moneyball is a theory that was born in Major League Baseball, based on Sabermetrics pioneered by Bill James to choose players by statistical analysis to get a competitive team to get results on a tight budget.
It has been transferred to football by Kuper and Szymanski in Soccernomics and Anderson and Sally in The Number's Game. I plan on bringing Moneyball to Bristol and will be using some of the rules mentioned in these two books to help create a stable financial base from which to succeed. The rules are as follows:

1. Net wage spend is more important than net transfer spend (pp. 14-21)
2. Don’t needlessly splash out on new players or sell old ones when you take over a club – the New Manager Syndrome (pp. 21-22)
3. Don’t buy players who impressed at international tournaments: they’re likely to be overvalued and past performance is no indication of future performance, especially when they’re playing with a different team (pp. 22-24) – there are different incentives and a different tactical set-up at tournaments, and it’s a super small sample size.
4. Some nationalities are overrated, like Holland, Brazil, and England (pp. 24-25)
5. Sell your players at the right time: when they’re around 30 years old, goalkeepers aside (p. 29)
6. Use the wisdom of crowds: ask all your scouts and a Director of Football if you have one (pp. 43-44)
7. Buy players in their early twenties, which avoids the problems with not developing properly, and means previous statistics have greater value (pp. 45-47)
8. Centre-forwards cost more than they should (p. 47)
9. Sell any player if a club offers more than they are worth and try to replace them before they are sold (pp. 48-49)
10. Don’t buy players if you don’t need to: develop a youth network and try to develop your own players (pp. 49-51)*

The Number's Game also gave me the theory that the best way to improve a side is by replacing your weak links and not re-strengthening your already strong areas. Bristol City were an ideal choice for me as they had a decent stadium, no debts, a fairly sound squad that wouldn't need an immediate overhaul to be competitive and a projected finish of 3rd.

The Background

Founded in 1897, Bristol City is based in the south west of the city of Bristol and play their home games at Ashton Gate which holds 14,660 people. They have okay finances and are worth an estimated ?10M. Their training and youth facilities are rated as good, while they have adequate junior coaching and average youth recruitment. Trophy wise they have won the Championship once, the JPT twice, the English Third Division South three times, the English Western League Premier Division eight times, the Anglo-Scottish Cup once and the Welsh Cup once.

The Plan

After finishing 12th in the 13/14 season my aim is to at least make the playoffs while keeping the club financially strong. That means staying within the allowed budgets set by the Chairman. As mentioned above I will accept any offers for players that are above their valuation and look for signings that are under valued or even free and are of the right age for future resale. The development of a youth network is high on my list of priorities but will have to take a back seat until we are financially stable as a club which will hopefully be our second season in the Premier League. My hope is that we make it to the Premier League in my fourth season.
I will play a 4-2-3-1 formation with wide inside forwards and an advanced playmaker in behind a complete forward. At this lower level it is more important to have an attacking team that will score lots of goals as defensive mistakes are at a high level and trying to play a defensively sound formation and eke out 1-0 wins is a fools errand. I'm willing to concede a couple of goals if it means we're scoring 4 or 5.

View attachment 270921

Next up will be my first season at the helm of Bristol City.

​Rules taken from Alex Stewart's feature on thesetpieces.com

I'll be following this, especially being a Bristol City fan!! Hope you can match a good job Steve Cotterill is doing!

Bringing Moneyball To Ashton Gate

View attachment 270787

Season One

First day at Ashton Gate and the Chairman tells me he expects us to finish in a play-off place. To help me with this he gives me a transfer budget of £336,000 and a wage budget of £4,500. Not a lot of help there but with the restraints of Moneyball it is for the good of the club's future that I adhere to it.

It's so important to get your backroom in order so I immediately ask the board for more coaches as we don't have enough to cover all areas adequately and receive an extra three places while the mutual termination of one of our physios Phil Cole gives me four places with which to fill up gaps. His release cost me
£50,000 but having six physios was way too much when you consider our coaching and scouting was suffering.

We only have the one scout so I immediately go out and get David Pelaez a decent Spanish scout from Granada 'B'. He costs me £80,000 and wages of £825 p/w. He immediately gives me greater knowledge of Spain and although it isn't of much use to me now I know it will hold me in good stead for the future.

On the coaching side of things I bring in defensive coach Arthur Albiston for
£875 p/w and John Brierley who will help out with fitness coaching for £850 p/w. With my backroom looking in order I turn my attention to the playing side of things. I ask the board for a senior affiliate as there isn't one at the club currently and they come back with either Arsenal, Chelsea or Everton. I choose Chelsea as they have more players available to loan in the first season and I will receive a friendly and £100,000 a year as part of the deal. They accept so I start looking at who I can bring in.

I don't want to go crazy and overhaul the squad as it's got quite a strong foundation. My thinking was if I can get players in on loan for no fee and either low or no wages then creating depth in the squad for next to no expenditure seemed wise. With that in mind I bought in Adam Reach (AM/RL) from Middlesbrough on loan for
£1,500 p/w, Junior (DM/M/AMC) from Everton for £0 p/w, Callum Harriot (AML) from Charlton for £1,000 p/w, Adil Nabi (ST) from West Brom for £0 p/w, Paolo Gazzaniga (GK) from Southampton for £0 p/w, Adam Chicksen (DL) from Brighton for £1,800 p/w and Jeremie Boga (AMRLC) and Nathan Ake (DLC/DM) from parent club Chelsea for nothing. Bringing in eight loan players for a combined wage total of £4,300 and zero transfer fees were a no brainer if they were to help us get promoted.

We also loaned out a whole bunch of youth players which helped to offset those costs. We had about nine of ten injuries to first team players in the pre season that carried into the first few games of the League One season so some of these players were necessary. On deadline day I thought we looked a little bit light up from so managed to get a real bargain in Swansea's Rory Donnelly (ST/AMR) for
£79K and £1,700 p/w. A real steal for a 22 year old with really solid mental stats for this level. He fit in with my Moneyball criteria by being the right age and for getting him for around a third of what he was originally worth.

View attachment 270785

Our key players going into our first season were as follows

Paolo Gazzaniga GK
Luke Ayling DRC
Korey Smith DM/MC
Luke Freeman AMLC
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas AMRLC/SC
Adil Nabi ST

If we could get good consistent football with these guys we would stand a chance of achieving our goals without breaking the bank.

After a mixed pre season the league opened with a resounding 2-0 win at promotion contenders Sheffield Utd before going unbeaten for 13 League One games, winning nine and drawing four including thrashing Leyton Orient 4-0, Scunthorpe 5-1 and Walsall 6-1. It was good to see our attacking focus paying off. Our first defeat comes at the hands of Barnsley 1-0 in front of the TV cameras for only the second time this season. After that loss we go unbeaten for the remaining 32 League One games with a final points tally of 121 with 38 wins 7 draws and 1 solitary loss. Our goal difference is 79 scoring 120 and conceding 41. The next closest challenger is MK Dons who finish on 87 points, some 34 points behind with a goal difference of 31.

In that run we beat Swindon away 5-2, Fleetwood at home 5-1 and Gillingham at home 5-2 showing that the preference for fast attacking football was successful at this level. In the cups we were knocked out by Swansea in the Capital One Cup 2nd Round 2-0 at home, the JPT 5-4 on penalties after a 1-1 draw away to Yeovil and the FA Cup which involved a pleasing loss to Man City in a 4th round replay with Dzeko scoring an 88th minute winner. We drew with them 2-2 at the Etihad in an end to end game which came about after dispatching Swansea in the 3rd round 2-1.

View attachment 270799

Korey Smith finishes with an average rating of 7.45 in 48 games, notching 12 goals and 11 assists on his way to League One player of the year. He is joined in the team of the year by Gazzaniga (GK), Osbourne (CB) Freeman (AMC) and Nabi (ST). Nabi gets the most goals in the league with 23, Freeman gets the most assists with 17 and veteran Wade Elliot gets the highest average rating of 7.81 from 39 games.

How did the new signings fair? It's important to keep track of this every season to see whether my moves in the transfer market are working in the clubs favour or whether I am throwing away precious money on flops.

Paolo Gazzaniga
App-45 Av-7.20 CS-15
Considering I didn't pay his wages for the season I'm very happy with this signing. 15 clean sheets in a very attacking formation shows how important he was with some excellent saves.

Nathan Ake
App-12(5) Av-7.25
Played very well in the CB role when he was needed. Fell foul because of the five loan player rule in the league otherwise would have played more games.

Adam Chicksen
App-28(1) Av-7.28 ***-1
Only signed as Cunningham was out for the first few months and performed admirably but I like my wing backs to contribute more assists. Once Cunningham was back he wasn't needed and probably wasted some money on wages.

Junior
App-19(12) Av-7.26 Gls-3 ***-2
Again another who suffered by the five loan player rule and the outstanding form of Elliot and Smith in the CM roles.

Jeremie Boga
App-9(9) Av-7.16 Gls-6 ***-4
Didn't play until December due to a torn calf muscle in pre season that kept him out for 4 months. Was keen to see how he would progress and in the new year he showed glimpses of class and at only 18 looks one for the future if I can loan him again.

Adam Reach
App-26(1) Av-7.45 Gls-7 ***-9
Did a good job for me on the right wing when other options weren't working. Got injured in February and missed the rest of the season.

Callum Harriott
App-31(2) Av-7.35 Gls-14 ***-8
A real revelation on the left wing after both Freeman and Emmanuel-Thomas were poor. Made that spot his own and contributed some excellent goals

Adil Nabi
App-33(9) Av-7.35 Gls-26 ***-10
The powerhouse striker I was hoping he would be. Very quick and a great finisher I wasn't confident in him hence signing Donnelly on deadline day but he never let me down when I needed him.

Rory Donnelly
App-19(19) Av-7.17 Gls-19 ***-5
My first permanent signing and for someone so cheap he has already paid for himself in goals. Didn't get as much of a chance as he should have due to Nabi but always looked good when needed.

I'm very happy with the contributions made by all of my signings considering the small outlay for them. The only one I wouldn't sign again is Chicksen as he wasn't really required but my early lack of faith in Joe Bryan and Cunningham forced my hand.

So were promoted! Things are looking good at Bristol and with a few new signings I hope we can look to a mid table/playoff position next year.

Last edited:
Good luck mate! Im doing a similar thing with newcastle story posted on here too check it out xD