Bromley FC - a journey into the unknown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzymahmood

Reaction score
bromley_fc_logo_150x180.jpg

7 July 2009 – Hewett takes charge at Bromley

Local resident Arron Hewett was today unveiled as the new Manager of Blue Square South side, Bromley FC. In an exclusive interview with the Bromley Times, Hewett gave an insight into his first day on the job.

“It all came about when I filled in the crossword puzzle in the Bromley Times,” recalled Hewett. “I knew the prize said something about Bromley FC, but I thought it would be free tickets – not the manager’s job!”

Chairman Jerry Dolke was effusive in his praise for his new man.

“I wasn’t happy with the direction the club was going in, so I thought I’d make some changes,” explained Dolke. “what I didn’t expect was that we’d only receive one entry to the crossword that week. That being said, I’m actually very pleased at the outcome – Arron is totally dedicated to our cause, and has even handed his notice in at his old job in order to come and lead us to glory.”

Although Dolke’s claims of imminent success may well prove to be wide of the mark, he is correct about Hewett’s commitment. Despite strong protestations from his wife, Hewett has resigned from his post at a famous tourist attraction in London, and will in fact earn a lesser income from this new post.

With pre-season training at Hayes Lane right around the corner, it remains to be seen just what impact Hewett will have in his first, and most likely last, managerial appointment.

Background to the club:

Bromleystadium.jpg

Bromley Football Club was founded in 1892 and currently plies its trade in the Blue Square South. Situated in Kent, the club’s home is Hayes Lane, which it has been since 1938. Former Crystal Palace youth forward Gareth Williams is the club’s only player with experience of League football. And with a mere £180k in the club’s bank account, times are tough for the new manager. No transfer budget and a restrictive weekly wage budget of £3.8k will test the Manager to the limit.

Background to me:

This is my first story (and I've only made one post...), but I have written many stories in the past, on other forums. Oh, and I'm a West Brom fan, so I'm happy today :p

First update later tonight.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

8 July 2009 – Friendly - Bromley 2-3 Bromley Reserves (McBean, Cassius)

Intra-squad match ends in unexpected result

Arron Hewett’s first game in charge of Bromley FC saw his first team squad take on his reserve team – and what a surprise he had. Despite taking an early lead through striker Warren McBean, Bromley’s reserves scored three times to earn a majestic 3-2 victory over their peers. Marcus Cassius’s late reply helped repair some of the damage done to Hewett’s coaching reputation.

10 July 2009 – Bromley announce capture of Michael Hughes and Alex Mitchell

Bromley FC today called a press conference to announce the signing of former Northern Ireland international Michael Hughes, and recently-released Carlisle goalkeeper Alex Mitchell on free transfers.

A small crowd of BFC fans attended the gathering, keen to welcome the experienced Hughes and the promising youngster Mitchell to the club. Manager Arron Hewett was full of praise for Mitchell, claiming that he would be ready to take on the mantle as the club’s number one for years to come. Previous incumbent Gareth Williams will likely not be keen on Hewett’s announcement.

Meanwhile, Hughes was named as Hewett’s Assistant Manager. This has been lauded by local media as a clever move by the new gaffer, as Hughes’s knowledge of the game will more than make up for Hewett’s inexperience. Adding to that his quality on the pitch, and the addition of Hughes could well secure Hewett a longer-than-expected spell at the club.

12 July 2009 – Bromley unveil loan coup of Chelsea’ Gael Kukuta and capture of Tommy Black

In one of the biggest loan signings in Blue Square South history, Chelsea’s starlet midfielder Gael Kukuta today left the comfort of Stamford Bridge for the great unknown of Bromley FC’s Hayes Lane. The 18 year old was swamped by adoring fans at his unveiling, in a signing that has captured the hearts and minds of all the locals. Manager Arron Hewett had this to say:

“I was reading about Gael’s transfer problems at Chelsea, and thought to myself, ‘he hasn’t played much’. So I thought I’d call Carlo Ancelotti to see if he was available, and to my utter shock he said yes! Gael is a quality player, a massive signing for the club, and we cannot wait to get him fit and playing.”

GaelKukutasigning.png

Black, the former Arsenal and Crystal Palace midfielder, gives Bromley an instant veteran presence alongside Michael Hughes. Hewett’s midfield of Black-Kukuta-Hughes could take some stopping at this level.

13 July 2009 - Friendly – Bromley 2-3 vs GH Academy (McBean, Black)

14 July 2009 – Alexis Nikolas becomes latest coup for Bromley

Manager Arron Hewett today announced the signing of a fourth midfielder in the space of a week, with the free transfer signing of former Chelsea prospect Alexis Nikolas. The Cypriot, a defensive midfielder, is yet another sign that Hewett has big plans for the club; one cannot help but wonder if Assistant Manager Michael Hughes has been assisting Hewett in his scouting.

15 July 2009 – Hewett at it again; signs former Wimbledon RB Darren Holloway

After sizing up his midfield and attack, Bromley FC manager Arron Hewett today turned his attention to defence, landing prime target right-back Darren Holloway. Holloway, a former England Under-21 international, will slot into the team and assume the captain’s armband.

15 July 2009 – Friendly – Bromley 1-6 vs Swindon Town (Corneille)

Cheers Mike - I write these more for my enjoyment than for anyone elses', but let me know if there's anything you'd like to see!

16 July 2009 – Bromley sign Crystal Palace youngster Matthew Wright on a season-long loan

17 July 2009 – Friendly - Bromley 0-4 Crystal Palace

21 July 2009 – Andy Williams, LW, signs for Bromley on a free transfer

21 July 2009 – Friendly - Bromley 1-4 Tranmere Rovers (Wright)

25 July 2009 – Dolke announces intentions of selling Bromley FC

A shock announcement was made at Hayes Lane today, as Chairman Jerry Dolke told local reporters that he was looking for an exit from the club. It is suspected that his bizarre decision to appoint an unknown manager at the club has backfired, with a massive increase in wage bill and expectations of success now rampant amongst the club’s fan base.

27 July 2009 – Friendly – Bromley 1-0 Hereford United (Skinner)

Bromley’s fortunes take a turn for the better

The recent moves by Bromley FC to launch the club on the path to the Football League look to have paid off. Manager Arron Hewett oversaw his side’s 1-0 victory over League Two outfit Hereford United, and immediately laid out his vision for the future.

“We are aiming for a top-half finish this season,” explained Hewett. “But we believe with a good run of form we can challenge for the playoffs.”

When questioned about his Chairman’s announcement two days prior to the game, Hewett was cautious in his response.

“Jerry hasn’t spoken to me about it – but I’m sure he will. In the meantime, the club has money, we have a good squad, and we’re looking forward to the new season.”

30 July 2009 – Friendly – RTB Ebbw Vale 0-1 Bromley (McBean)

1 August 2009 – Friendly – Droylsden 1-1 Bromley (Hall)

9 August 2009 – BSS – Worcester 0–1 Bromley (Taylor 90)
Team: Mitchell; Dunk, Taylor, Gillman, Corneille; Nikolas, Kakuta, Hughes (Harding), Kember, Black; McBean (G Williams).
League position: 6th

Bromley make winning start to promising season

16 year-old debutant John Taylor scored an injury time winner for Bromley as they gave new manager Arron Hewett a win in his first competitive game in charge.

A competent performance from the Bromley defence kept the Kent side in the game, before Taylor’s last-ditch header snatched an unlikely 3 points. With injuries to Captain Darren Holloway and defensive kingpin Jerrome Sobers, Hewett was forced to name former assistant captain Mark Corneille at right-back, alongside the debutant Taylor.

Gael Kukuta was impressive on the Bromley left, but must learn to utilise possession more effectively. Another strong performer was assistant manager Michael Hughes, who excelled in the centre of the park before being withdrawn on the hour with cramp.

Bromley will look to build upon this success over the coming weeks, and with injured players returning to fitness, Hewett could well see some results come his way.

11 August 2009 – BSS – Bromley 1–3 Havant & Waterlooville (Hughes 32)
Team: Mitchell; Dunk, Taylor, Gillman, Corneille; Nikolas, Hall, Hughes (Harding), Kember (A Williams), Black; McBean (G Williams).
League position: 9th

Bromley back down to earth with a crash

Bromley were taken to pieces by a dominant Havant side at Hayes Lane today. Down by two goals in the first 15 minutes, Michael Hughes briefly made the game a contest with a long-range piledriver on 32mins. However a young Bromley defence could not handle their more experienced opponents. Bromley will be hoping that the return of Gael Kukuta from international duty will help spark some life into the Kent side.

13 August 2009 – Bromley acquire defensive cover with free transfer signing of Mark Foran

15 August 2009 – BSS – Bromley 1–1 Hampton & Richmond (Hall)
Team: Mitchell; Dunk, Taylor, Gillman (Foran), Corneille; Nikolas, Hall, Hughes (Kember), Kukuta, Black; McBean (G Williams).
League position: 11th

18 August 2009 – BSS – Eastleigh 1-0 Bromley
Team: Mitchell; Dunk, Taylor, Gillman, Corneille; Nikolas, Hall, Hughes (Kember), Lee (Kukuta), Black; G Williams (Wright).
League position: 16th

22 August 2009 – BSS – Bromley 2-0 Dorchester (McBean 10, Foran 61)
Team: Mitchell; Dunk, Taylor, Foran, Corneille; Nikolas, Hall, Hughes (Kember), Kukuta, Black; McBean.
League position: 12th

Hewett rings changes and secures 3 points for faltering Bromley

With three disappointing results in the last fortnight, Arron Hewett rang the changes for Bromley – resulting in a crucial 3 points for the club. Leading man Warren McBean was restored to the line-up, and scored his first goal of the season to give his side the lead. Recent signing Mark Foran, making his debut in place of the out-of-form Rob Gillman, added a second. Man of the match Gael Kukuta showed some exceptional quality in the final third in a more advanced role than he had become accustomed to.

“We are very happy to finally secure a win,” said Hewett. “Our performances of late have been dreadful, so I am very pleased with the way the team responded to the changes. Now I hope to build on our 7 point start and really push on.”

23 August 2009 – Bromley in takeover talks

Fresh speculation surrounds Bromley FC today, with thenonleaguefootballpaper.com reporting that Chairman Jerry Dolke has begun the sale of the club. It is rumoured that current Director Matt Martin may be willing to pay £170k for a controlling stake in the club.

great layout mate thanks for checking out my west brom story and hope you follow it just posted the pre-season friendly results

Next update later today (I was up watching the ice hockey last night...).

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:20 PM ----------

29 August 2009 – BSS – Chelmsford 3–0 Bromley
Team: Mitchell; Dunk, Taylor (Gillman), Foran, Holloway; Nikolas, Hall (Black), Hughes (Kember), Kukuta, Corneille; McBean (Wright).
League position: 13th

31 August 2009 – BSS – Bromley 0–3 Lewes
Team: Mitchell; Dunk, Taylor, Gillman, Corneille; Nikolas, Hall, Kember (Lee), Kukuta (A Williams), Black (Norval); McBean.
League position: 17th

Bromley struggle for form during difficult takeover

Bromley slipped to a second consecutive 3-0 defeat today as the fallout from the long-awaited takeover of the club continues to overshadow the Hayes Lane side. The team, struggling for form and fitness amongst this period of turmoil, are struggling to adapt to manager Arron Hewett’s tactics, with rumours rife that a new Chairman will not give the new manager long to prove his worth.

8 September 2009 –BSS – Bromley 2–1 Braintree (Black 11, 34)
Team: G Williams; Dolby, Foran (Sobers), Holloway, Norval; Kember, Hall, Hughes (Lee), Carew (A Williams), Black; McBean.
League position: 13th

10 September 2009 – Bromley takeover nears conclusion; Martin expected to confirm purchase of club by the end of the week

12 September 2009 – BSS – Bromley 0–0 Weston-super-Mare
Team: G Williams; Dolby, Foran, Holloway, Norval (Sobers); Nikolas, Kukuta, Hughes (Hall), Carew (Harding), Black; McBean.
League position: 15th

19 September 2009 – BSS – Staines 1–1 Bromley (Hughes 18)
Team: G Williams; Dolby, Foran, Holloway, Norval; Nikolas, Kukuta, Hughes, Carew, Black (McBean); Wright.
League position: 14th

23 September 2009 – BSS – Weymouth 5–1 Bromley (McBean 48)
Team: G Williams; Dolby, Foran, Holloway (Sobers), Norval; Nikolas (Harding), Kukuta, Hughes, Carew, Black (Hall); McBean.
League position: 14th

Unbeaten run comes to an end as Bromley are battered by Weymouth

Bromley’s three-game unbeaten run came to a sudden end today as promotion chasers Weymouth administered a five-goal thrashing to the Hayes Lane side. Despite a growing feeling of confidence emanating from the playing staff over the last fortnight, this result will surely spell the end for manager Arron Hewett.

23 September 2009 – FAC 2nd Qual Rd – Whyteleafe 1–0 Bromley
Team: G Williams; Dolby, Foran, Holloway, Norval; Nikolas, Kukuta, Kember, Carew (Corneille), Black (Hall); McBean (G Williams).

Bromley down in the dumps as Whyteleaf progress in cup

Manager Arron Hewett was speechless today as his Blue Square South team lost to the underdogs Whyteleaf. After the hammering by Weymouth Bromley fans had been hoping for a strong performance – instead they witnessed their team give a limp, lifeless display, one that will surely concern the new Board once the takeover of the club has been completed.

2 October 2009 – Hewett shores up leaky defence with loan signing of Ipswich Town’s Troy Brown and Luton Town’s Edward Asafu-Adjaye

3 October 2009 – BSS – Maidenhead 3–1 Bromley (Wright 24)
Team: Mitchell; Dolby, Sobers, Holloway, Asafu-Adjaye; Nikolas, A Williams, Hughes, Black, Kukuta; Wright.

10 October 2009 – Striker Matthew Wright returns to parent club Crystal Palace; leaves Bromley short of attacking options

17 October 2009 – BSS – Bromley 1–1 Woking (McBean 28)
Team: Mitchell; Dolby, Sobers (Foran), Brown, Asafu-Adjaye; Nikolas (G Williams), Hall, Hughes, Black (Carew), Kukuta; McBean.
League position: 18th

24 October 2009 – BSS – Havant & Waterlooville 2–1 Bromley (Kukuta 33)
Team: Mitchell; Dolby, Foran (Gillman), Brown, Asafu-Adjaye; Nikolas, Hall, Hughes, Black (Carew), Kukuta; McBean (G Williams).
League position: 19th

Author's Note
After reviewing my posts so far, I have decided to shorten my updates to a monthly round-up - results, league position, transfers, takeover news, and any other news I can think of. I believe that's preferable to my current style of update ;)

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:50 PM ----------

Rest of October update:

27 October 2009 – BSS – Bromley 2–1 Basingstoke (McBean 65, 79)
Team: Mitchell; Dolby, Foran, Brown, Asafu-Adjaye; Nikolas, Hall (Black), Hughes (Kember), Carew, Kukuta; McBean.
League position:15th

McBean double gives Bromley first win in 7

Warren McBean’s superb second-half double gave resurgent Bromley their first win in seven games today. McBean, restored to the side in the wake of Matthew Wright’s return to parent club Crystal Palace, scored both goals from Gael Kukuta through-balls, and now has three goals in three games for the Hayes Lane side.

Manager Arron Hewett was mightily relieved.

“Seven games? It felt like seventy!” said an excited Hewett. “Our recent change in formation has given us a bit extra in the final third, and Warren rediscovering his scoring touch is all we needed to get back on the board.”

With the protracted take-over of the club nearing a conclusion, Hewett will be glad to have secured a long-overdue win.

31 October 2009 – BSS – Bath 1–0 Bromley
Team: Mitchell; Dolby, Foran, Brown (Gillman), Asafu-Adjaye; Kember, Hall (Black), Hughes, Carew, Kukuta (G Williams); McBean.

Author's note: From this point on, I will update monthly.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 03:00 AM ----------

November 2009

Results
League
H vs Thurrock - 2-1 (Kukuta 10, Foran 26)
A vs Newport County – 0-0
H vs St Albans – 3-2 (McBean 32, 39, Kukuta 37)

FA Trophy 1st Round
H vs Frome – 5-0 (McBean 1, Kukuta 10, 45, 54, Carew 84)

The rot has been stopped, thanks to a change in tactics. Moving from a free-flowing 4-4-2 formation to a rigid 4-5-1 approach, Bromley turned their fortunes around in November.

Seven points from nine in the league was exactly what this team needed; the win over top-of-the-league St Albans was a heroic effort, as Ryan Dolby’s 10th-minute sending off seemed to kill off Bromley’s hopes, before McBean and Kukuta fired the home team to a 3-0 lead. Despite a late comeback, Bromley held on for a famous victory

McBean had 3 goals in the month, and now 8 for the season, while Gael Kukuta revelled in his free role behind McBean to bag 5 goals.

League Position
1 November – 16th
30 November – 14th

Club news
The takeover of the club goes on and on, with no conclusion. However the club’s finances are taking a battering – from a bank balance of £180k to start the season, the club is already operating a £40k overdraft.

Warren McBean’s 27-second opener against Frome marked the quickest goal in club history.

Nice story, dude. Will hopefully be following. :D

Also, I'm from Bromley and my school is on Hayes Lane, haha. :p

To the Moderators - I cannot continue this story, as I bought a new PC and didn't transfer the game across. Please remove.

To the few who had taken the time to read the beginning of Bromley's resurgence - thank you. They will get there one day ;)

what happened to old computer? you can transfer the save file on a usb stick

Status
Not open for further replies.