BrutalZ's Guide to Player Development

BrutalZ

Reaction score
Keith’s Guide to Player Development

Player development may not be a problem for ‘Filthy Rich’ teams like Manchester City at first glance, but it is and should be an integral part of any team. I believe in a simple theory: “A football team is only as strong as its weakest player,” in this case the youth players. The youth players inevitably will be of lesser quality and ability of the first team. But it is important that any manager knows how to strengthen and maintain a healthy youth to provide talent and quality for years to come. A young player with vast potential is better than the odd no hoper in the Under18 squad.

At clubs like Arsenal (In real life) I can assume that the youth system is key factor in the success and stability of the club, much lesser so for a team like Manchester City who at present can ‘buy’ the talent they need. But the importance of the youth system and facilities is of course down to whoever is the manager. I am writing this guide because I am fond of a good youth setup.

In my opinion there are several key factors to good development:
1. Personality
2. Adaptability
3. Age
4. Training
5. Opportunities

1. Personality (The characteristics and personal qualities of a player)
The personality of a player is very important in my opinion and it can often be the difference between a youth-related bargain and a terrible young ‘flop’. Every team will have a general personality about them. They may be a driven bunch with a strong will to perform or a jolly bunch of go-getters that see delight in sportsmanship and lack a temperamental side. Consequently a young player is best suited to the team when their personality fits in well with the squad. Bringing a highly ambitious player to a very low league team can only resort in the loss of the player along the line.

DO s and DONT s

DO buy a young player whose personality is close to or similar to the personality of the team in general because it will aid his development if he is amongst people he has something in common with. The player will learn more from tutoring and blend into the team better.

DONT buy a young player whose personality is nothing like the personality of the team in general because it will slow down his development considerably and make it hard for the player to harmonise with the rest of the players.

2. Adaptability (The suitability of the player to the surroundings)
Arguably, this is quite similar to personality in terms of its effects but the adaptability of the player you choose to purchase will affect the rate of development and also his likelihood of staying in the team. Obviously you buy a young player to build for the future and bring slowly into the team. I imagine that there aren’t many managers that like to buy young players just to have to release them again as they can’t settle. Loaning the players out may be the only logical solution but it doesn’t always work. Young players need to be adaptable but in truth this really only applies to players joining from outside the league you play in ie. foreigners. They have to grow accustomed to a new lifestyle, new weather, new people and new kinds of football and sometimes they don’t always cope. Sometimes the best of scouts will tell you that the player may adapt well to a new country or otherwise but I can’t help much in that area.

DO s and DONT s

DO buy players that will adapt well to the league you are in. This also means that it would be wise to buy young players from the league you already play in from time to time.

DONT buy players that can’t adapt to the league you play in. This also means that you should not hold players that are unsettled against their will and loan them or release them instead because there are plenty more fish in the sea.

Age (How old the player is...)

Age is another very important factor when dealing with player development. A 16 year old with the same potential as a 19 year old may be a better choice because you can get more out of him. A younger player gives you the ability to teach and tutor them early and mold them through training into the sort of player you like to have on your team in the coming future. Having an older youngster around the ages of 19, 20 and above means that the player has to be good enough to make at least a dozen appearances for your first team if not more to develop at an efficient rate. It will also by no doubt affect the price you get them at depending on how much they may be worth. i.e a 19 year old with the potential to be a good player will have to be at least a 'fairly good' or 'decent' player and giving players like those less than 10 starts a season hinders their rate of development.

DO s and DONT s

DO Buy young players around the age of 15-18 more than players around 19-21 as you'll boost your youth prospects and have a sustainable future to look forward to as well as plenty of training and tutoring to make them into the player you need. Sub players from 19-21 in more often than you start them for them to get used to the football if they are are foreign and give them key roles in less important competitions such as the opening few matches of the F.A. Cup, or the Carlin Cup

DONT Start 15-18 year olds more than a 12 times a season as there is a likely hood that they may grow too quickly and 'crash' meaning their attributes will take a tumble as an early stage and it may stop them actually being able to reach their potential.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Writing more as of now...

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Bear in mind most of the stuff up there the majority will know already and I am writing up the tricky stuff now...

Last edited:
Hi BrutalIZ,

I'm very interested in this article. I hope you can end it as soon as possible.

Thanks for job.

Hi BrutalZ,

are you going to finish the guide?

interesting..how do you tell how adaptable a player is? only sometimes scouts say...

Should be stickied.
If you get it finished soon. :)

Very helpful. |)