jingo800

Reaction score
I just got Rushden & Diamonds promoted via the playoffs to League 2, I have so far followed this forum's tips and changed a lot of players whilst keeping the core of my side together.

Now what I need help with is whether or not it is beneficial to think of a whole new tactic, or to just tinker with the ones that have served me well last season. (I was playing a narrow, direct, high-medium tempo 4-4-2 at home and similar 4-3-2-1 away)

Obviously, I have gone from the division's ''best technique, good flair, best fitness'', etc etc to ''poor technique, poor flair, good strength'' etc etc

I mean, I am yet to see whether the players I have brought in are good enough, and I am afraid that shaking up my system too much will just hinder my progress in finding out. On the other hand, playing such attacking football at another level doesnt seem logical.

Any help?

I've done a few LLM saves with Luton and an attacking 4-5-1 seems to work if you can get a solid midfield, takes a season or 2 for you to get to League 1 but it's worth it, bring in a few good youngsters that have been released from the likes of Chelsea like Jacob Mellis and Conor Clifford, that should tighten up the midfield as they are Championship quality.

Ive done quite a few LLM saves aswell, its much more of a challenge. I play quite attacking football at home .. 4-4-2 with a AMR/AML wingers. I tend to play a contained 4-5-1, and play to counter attack. With the counter attack formation, my team was full of pace, especially in the wingers and strikers. Keep the main spine of the team, eg your trusted consistent players. Then like celt above has said, use the loan market to bring the extra talent in youngsters. Also, dont be afraid to add "experience" to your team. Such as ages at 32+, this really evens the balance of the team out.

Don't change too much. The talent level isn't that big between the bottom half teams. In my LLM saves I always use the low leagues to get a good financial platform. So get to abusing the loans from your parent clubs. As always scavenge from recently relegated teams. They'll always have at least a "star" player that will be having a sook because they've dropped down

BSP to League 2 isn't that much of a jump in quality usually.

Your biggest challenge will come when you go form League 1 to the Championship, as usually this is the point where you reach the limit of your small clubs resources/fan base/stadium size/reputation etc.

You either have to go for broke and try and stay up at all costs whilst trying to build for the future, or accept your fate and become a yo-yo team until you can improve the things mentioned above (resourseces/fan base... etc)

thanks for the feedback everyone.

So to sum up, don't change system too much, and don't be afraid of the League 2 bullies?