Soverntear

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

I just can not seem to get the hang of tactics in this years version of FM. Last year I managed to take staines from the BSS to the premiere in seven seasons. This year I have had a hard time getting to BSP let alone league 2. Most of my problems seam to be conceding to many goals. My defense never seems to be organized and is always being stretched thin. In the attack I am doing alright, decent connections and most games getting some good chances. I mostly play a counter attacking flat 442.

This game I was lookign around at various forums and found many posts praising acceleration and pace. so I based my team around it. No one on the team is lower then 11/11 for accel and pace. so far I am really seeing the usage of pace. Right now I am at 14th in the league 6th of april 2013. below is a img of my tacic. the only special instructions are:
FB's Man mark
All defence and DLP no tight marking

What I want is a tight defense which launches a quick counter attack at every chance. I would like my players to try to sty close to there positions to avoid to many gaps. most importantly I would like to limit the goals conceded(64 in 39 games).

2unub6o.png

Also of note, this whole season has not been played with this tactic. I have experimented with others as well.

I've done the whole BSS to EPL in seven season thing. And I actually found strength to be very important in this year's FM. More so in the BSS. I look for str > 12 on all players.

Perhaps use Very Rigid and Zonal/Tight marking on each player? I found these settings to help a lot in defense. Adjust ur width according to how wide/narrow your opposition is playing. If you want to proactively win the ball and break from those transitions> than press more. And have counter attack ticked.

Possible shouts that might help. Hassle Opponents, Get Stuck In, Run At Defense

Regardless of approach, you need to make sure that your team has the quality to pull it of, the quality to do their thing better than what the opponents trying to do.

In this case, you are sitting back and inviting the opponents on to you. Here, you need to maks sure that your players ( in fact the whole team) is better in holding their ground using their work rate, positioning, decision, marking, tackling, anticipation etc) better than the off the ball, passing, creativity, decision, flair etc of the opponents.

In short, are your players good enough to cope with the pressure you are putting yourself under ?

Its also important not to compare your results in FM13 to Fm12. If you climbed the ladder with Staines that quick, then you where most certainly playing and trying to beat the Match Engine. In FM13, you are up against opponents and that is a dfference.

Last edited:
i was struggling to keep clean sheets, but i found a 4-1-3-2 (GK-D, WB-A, BPD-D, BPD-D, WB-A, DM-D, AP-S, AP-S, BWM-D, AF-A, P-A) with the two strikers switching, full backs overlapping, pushing high, hassling opponents, get stuck in instructions. Team instructions- counter, very fluid, shorter, more expressive, press more, quite deep defensive line, and high width to work really wel land give a really good balance.

Hey soverntear, sounds like you want everything that I have tried to make in my tactic, I was going to post it in the tactics forum but it looks to be a long and rather boring affair.
Personally though I think its the best tactic I have ever made.
Important to note though ALL my players in CM/AM/STRIKER roles have PPM: Comes deep to get ball
The tactic is this:

View attachment 370454View attachment 370455
View attachment 370456

Its hard for me to sum up this tactic really other than to say 'its football done the patient way'

How it plays:'the short version'
When defending the back four hold off the attack while the midfield four win the ball back.
When attacking we are patient and probing and will keep men BEHIND the ball but we can also be very sharp and incisive.

Shouts most often used:

Push up or drop deeper (depends how the game is going)
Cross early
Hassle opponents
Get stuck in

OI's: 'copied from SEANHRFC's Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2:
Ideally you'd have an assistant manager that you can trust to set this up for you (16+ tactical knowledge + good defensive coach). However if you don't feel they're up to it, here's a few tips:
Close down always - slow players in midfield or attack and players with poor composure/concentration/decisions in defence or midfield.
Tight Mark - midfielders or attackers with poor pace.
Hard Tackling - any players with Bravery under 10.
Show onto weaker foot - any player who has reasonable or less for their weaker foot ability.

Player types:
A balanced tactic need balanced players, not one trick ponies.

Last edited:
bsstoepl Thanks for the tip, it seems physical stats in general are very important for this years game. Next season I will look in to higher physical stats. Also i will try the settings and shouts you mentioned, I have always had problems with the back line in my teams so hopfully this wlll whip them in to shape.

Betterhalf, There is a good chance my players are just not up to snuff to play the way I would like too in comparison to the oposition. I will have to look in to what the stats are, it may be a cause in the problem. as for fm12, my tactic was pretty much the same, counter atk is way I play. plus scouting was a bit more liberal in the early game so I could get better players.

Wil97, the tactic sounds like it would work well. but seems to be more for a higher end team. any tiem I have played above rigid my team gets drawn out of position quite a lot and leaks goals.

Mitre, nice tactic I am curious what methods you used to test it? I tend to just do about 10 games with the tactic and see how it fairs. but its also hard to tell how a tactic is doing untill it is fluid.

Mitre, nice tactic I am curious what methods you used to test it? I tend to just do about 10 games with the tactic and see how it fairs. but its also hard to tell how a tactic is doing untill it is fluid.

I played 80% of a season with just that 4-4-1-1 and just tweaked it, the other 20% I shared it with two other tactics I drew from the 4-4-1-1 one more defensive and the other more offensive.
In that season we finished 3rd in EPL (3 points off top) won Capitol one cup, won F.A cup, lost in final Europa league to At. Madrid on penalties. (we where robbed)
View attachment 370785

Just starting second season now, we just didn't score enough goals last season, lots of possession around the box just not enough players pulling the trigger. Hoping to try and solve that goal riddle in this season.
We did however have the second best defense in the league.

Try going for a balanced standard approach and change passing to default. This might mean you keep hold of the ball a little more while still not expecting your team to play like Barcelona thereby helping reduce the amount of chances the opposition get. Also I've found that playing counter attack is suicide. Try changing to normal or control and ticking counter instead.I find that at lower levels leaving all player instructions on default tends to work best. This includes all marking and closing down.

Well so far the season has been up and down. The defence is working a quite a bit better, but I need to bring in some more goals now. 29 games in to the season sitting in 7th 39/27 goals. thanks for the tips.

was using tight marking on the whole squad, trying it with it off on my wingers and forwards to see if that will bring in some more goals.

Last edited:
So removing tight marking from the st and wingers was a BAD idea. went on a loosing streak that went away as soon as i reverted to tight marking across the board.

bsstoepl Thanks for the tip, it seems physical stats in general are very important for this years game. Next season I will look in to higher physical stats. Also i will try the settings and shouts you mentioned, I have always had problems with the back line in my teams so hopfully this wlll whip them in to shape.

Betterhalf, There is a good chance my players are just not up to snuff to play the way I would like too in comparison to the oposition. I will have to look in to what the stats are, it may be a cause in the problem. as for fm12, my tactic was pretty much the same, counter atk is way I play. plus scouting was a bit more liberal in the early game so I could get better players.

Wil97, the tactic sounds like it would work well. but seems to be more for a higher end team. any tiem I have played above rigid my team gets drawn out of position quite a lot and leaks goals.

i used it with sheff utd in the championship with the 22nd highest wage bill and when i started using it i got 28 clean sheets in 38 games in the league after conceding 21 in the first 8 league games, also gt clean sheets against newcastle and liverpool in the cup, just needs athletic players nd maybe a couple of years to build a solid squad capable of it as i wanted to have a high pressing team but it didn't work for first three years