@fplcentre

Reaction score
Ok so I finished FM15 with a save where I started off as Colchester, won League One and then took the Blackburn job who had just got promoted to the Premiership. I managed a full season with Colchester and 1.5 seasons with Blackburn and for both teams I used a 3-4-1-2 system as I wanted to try it out having never used it before.

I usually use a 4-1-2-2-1 with wingers, high pressing, short passing, low tempo and tend to enjoy great success with that, but it gets boring using the same system on every save.

Here it the setup I am going with:

11so9hi.png

The 3 CBs obviously sit back for the whole game and defend, with options both in the middle and out wide to pass to if they want, or they can hit it up more directly to the Target Man. The CM will press and make safe passes, dictating the tempo while the DLP will sit just in front of the back 3 recycling possession and playing balls out to the Wingers and up to the main attacking 3. The Enganche is obviously the main creative outlet for the team feeding through balls to the strikers from the hole just behind. The poacher will be the main goal scorer, the target man getting a good few of his own from crosses and shots as well.

Now, for strong teams my idea is that you can afford to play a high line, high pressing, etc. as long as you have high pace & positioning stats in defence to cover any balls over the top. Going with a sweeper keeper works out too. For my first save on FM16 though, I've gone with Bath City. We won the Vanarama National League South in season 1, and I've just saved before in our first season in the Vanarama National League.

Here's how we did in year 1:

301euxz.jpg

As you can see, plenty of goals scored and not a terrible defensive record considering I've gone with 3 at the back. There were games where we conceded 3 or 4 goals, though. Here are the results from season 1:

288mp1f.jpg

9bipsp.jpg

bfqkr5.jpg

Because Bath are not a good team, I set up the tactic with no TI's or PI's just to let the players learn the formation. I played with a Control mentality and Flexible team shape for home games, but dropped the mentality to Standard for away games until I got an idea for how the opposition was playing. Also, for each match, I would add between 1 and 4 TI's to suit how I wanted to approach each game. I would also adjust a few roles too. For example, in a home game against a weak team I might change the Central Midfielder to a Support duty to add a little extra to the attack. And against stronger teams with good wingers I might change the Wingers to Defensive Wingers or even drop them back to Wing Backs.

The Enganche got 17 assists and 9 goals in 38 league games. The Target Man got 17 goals and 11 assists in league 29 games. And the Poacher got 28 goals and 1 assist in 31 league games. Both strikers went down for a few weeks with injuries so didn't get a full season of games. I imagine with better quality players in higher leagues, these stats would improve as well.

My idea for teams in higher leagues in to play with these TI's:

Short passing
Lower tempo
Pass Into Space
Work Ball Into Box
Slightly Higher Up
More Closing Down

As I progress up through the leagues with Bath and acquire better players, I will look to involve these TI's more. Right now, though, my defence is far too slow and my midfield makes too many errors due to bad stats.

I'm open to suggestions about PI's as I'm yet to include any. I think having the GK distribute by kicking long to the Target Man would work best in theory. Although, if you're against a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow, you could distribute to flanks to exploit that space.

I would also put both wingers to cross to the far post. Only because that's what worked on FM15. Again, I haven't tried yet on FM16 so maybe that doesn't work this time around.

I'd be interested in hearing what people think about the football that gets played using this tactic. I personally like it a lot. Even at Bath's level it has produced some lovely stuff, but the lack of quality with the players means it falls short sometimes. But that's expected.

Also if anyone has any ideas that they think could improve the tactic in theory, please suggest them :)

Last edited: