Daza87

Reaction score
From my past experiences,and experiences of discussions with friends, I do often wonder whether people who play fm actually buy players suited to there style of tactics/approach, or they buy them because of the players reputation in the present world of football at the moment. Is this why alot of people struggle with there tactical approach to the game itself? for example somebody who plays a long ball in the air tactic to a target man, and they have a 5ft tall striker.When i study my friends tactics and squads, most of the time the tactic they use, really isnt suitable for the existing squad they inherited, or for the players they have signed. Is this a common method of action for people, or do lots of people actually buy sensible, and ignore there favourite players from real life?

I usually do a bit of both really like I would sign a player I liked if he fit in my tactics but I wouldn't exactly be signing a slow winger just because I liked him

I'll only ever buy a player I like in real life on FM if he fits into my formation, if not i'll just go for a random player I come across in my search criteria. Atleast 3 star like :)

I never go for the big names if they don't fit the sort of play I need, like I signed this Paraguayan regen earlier who was rated 3* by my scout but he had excellent attributes for what I need ( A really really fast striker with good off the ball and finishing ) and he has been excellent so far ^^)

i make sure the players i have/sign fit into my tactics - i.e. fast and effective on the counterattack. if they dont fit into my tactics and way of playing I dont sign them - I wouldn't sign messi for example if he didnt fit into the tactics :)

I only buy poachers, I only buy fast wingers, I only buy full-backs with good positioning... and I run a **** successful club. I agree: choosing the right players is often more important than star ratings.

I only buy poachers, I only buy fast wingers, I only buy full-backs with good positioning... and I run a **** successful club. I agree: choosing the right players is often more important than star ratings.

almost the same as me except my defence needs at least 15/16 acc and pace :)

The only players I ever sign that have no fit whatsoever with my formations are the ones I can sign for free, confident of selling on for profit in the January window.

Playing LLM games really makes you shift your focus from star ratings to attribute numbers. Also makes you look much closer at getting players that you are sure are going to fit your tatic, and not just any big rated player.

I tend to buy players which I have 'tried and tested' within the football manager world, regardless of his 'real world' reputation! I tend to play an attacking game, so look for pacey wingers, I do quite like an RVP style Trequartista in my side though, might not be rapid, but very goood techincally. I also like a midfield that can pass, so a minimum of 16 passing is a must for Top Four sides.

For me it used to be about the real world potential of the player in the older versions of the game (2007 my West Ham squad had Nani, Moutinho, Bale) now though I try to find a player to suit my style of play.

Center backs have to compliment each other so 1 must have pace, acceleration 13+ while the other is all about positioning and team work 15+.
Wing backs must be quick and have stamina so 14+ on all three. If I can find a CB who has good ball playing stats it's a bonus.

My midfield is the same they must be compatible with one and other. An anchorman who can play at CB or MC is key (mark, tackle, header, position all 16+) while a good passing midfielder (pass, creative, first touch, decisions all 14+) mixed with a stylish play-maker type (passing, creative, flair, dribble, composure all 14+)

Wingers have to be quick and be able to link up with my forward so accelerate, pace 15+. Dribble and cross should be no less than 13 and it helps if they can finish so 12 at least.

My strikers should have the following pace 14+, accelerate 14+, team work 13+, finish 15+, composure 13+ before I even look at them.

It has to be about getting the right players for your tactic. But i also like to get the right mental attributes. Regardless of technical or physical ability, i couldn't sign a player with less than 12 for Determination. Less gifted players with high Determination are way more useful than one with high flair or creativity. In previous games, Nick Montgomery from Sheffield Utd was always a must sign for bottom half epl level teams and down. Teamwork, bravery, determination are qualities that ensure you don't lose which is what i want from all my teams [regardless of reputation].

I tend to sign who i can afford with decent stats for the position I want - recently I have started trying to get more "in tune" with the best position comments from my scouts as well. I like to build up a club from small beginnings so in some respects the choice of player is more who will come in the early seasons.

I think im one of the few still likes to play with 3 centre backs so I have 2 markers and one ball player but as I am with Brian Clough in that football should be played on the ground all my players are scouted with decent at least passing skill.

Looking at the post on the players side about how some stats have dominance over others and the combinations are what makes good players I need to start incorporating that information into my searches now.

This game used to be far easier back in 96!

I don't tend to look at stats all that much but more the rating the players get from my scouts. I tend to get the player IF they are 3 1/2 stars [so generally, a star in the league] OR if they can reach that level in the future. Of course, they also need to fit the formation I use, so some versatility is always nice.