Buying Strategy + The Importance of Roles

Brady2Moss

Reaction score
Should I be going for players whose primary role is the one that they'll be playing in my tactic, or should I buy better all-round players who can play the role, but it isn't one of their favourites?

Basically, how important are roles in FM14?

Should I be going for players whose primary role is the one that they'll be playing in my tactic, or should I buy better all-round players who can play the role, but it isn't one of their favourites?

I wanna say if you play a player in his best role, you'll get the best out of him. But I'm not sure. Still new at this game myself.

You should have and Idea of your tactics and sort out a team of people under 25. This is what great managers do, for example if you are playing Man Utd and you want to use an AM and a Poacher you should sign some youngsters and then train them to the positions you want or just play them a few games a season. While still using your older players as your first choice.
Hope I helped you.

In FM i try to have a 28 player squad with players that do more than 1 position except keepers, CB and strikers

In my Munich save i have:

Defenders: Alaba, Contento, Lham, Boateng, Dante, Balanta, and 2 more CB that i don't remember the name (the 35 years old and the new one in squad)
Alaba can also play as winger
1 of the Cbs can play as Left back (Balanta)
1 right defender can also play as left back (Lham)
Boateng can play all positions

So, defense is covered

Midfield
DMC i have Martinez, but Boateng can play decent and Schweinsteiger can also go there if needed
MC i have Schweinsteiger, Kroos and Alcantara. Also bought Honda free transfer

So its covered

Attacking wing mids:
Robben, Shaquiri, Ribery, Muller and Gozte

Covered

AMC: Muller, Kroos, Alcantara, Gotze, Ribery and Honda

Covered

Striker

Mandzukic, Pizzaro (what a beast!!) and Muller.

Also covered

Just bought 2 players (Balanta and Honda) and now i will wait for the January transfer window to see if i can get some good youngsters or wait a little bit further to get some real good regens to start a Cantera policy.

This youngsters don't need to be all-round, since i already have the squad complete.

So am I better off creating a tactic and finding players to fit the tactic or should I just buy the best players I can to fit a generic tactic?

I always find a tactic that suits my current squad. Eg. With Bayern, a passing 4231.
Then I would fill in any gaps or weaknesses. Eg. Young RB, Backup DMC/MC, Amazing CB.

So am I better off creating a tactic and finding players to fit the tactic or should I just buy the best players I can to fit a generic tactic?

It depends on what you want to sacrifice. Creating a tactic and making the team paying accordingly will take some time and patience. Im learing that with Munich. I like an open 4-2-3-1, but they prefer (play better, score more, etc.) a close 4-2-3-1...

I always find a tactic that suits my current squad. Eg. With Bayern, a passing 4231.
Then I would fill in any gaps or weaknesses. Eg. Young RB, Backup DMC/MC, Amazing CB.

Same. You did you buy as young (and cheap) RB?

Haven't had a chance to get into a Bayern save yet, just had a sneak peak at the squad. :'(. But going to look at Jantschke and a couple of other German RB's then maybe wait for a regen.

I bought Montoya from Barca for €7.5million. Then loaned him out for a season and play rafinha for the first season.