• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 2K

Kylo

MAAAATTT DAMMOONNNNNN
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just a really short thread to ask the question:

How can i get into modern day football buisness and management?

I'm 14 years old. And i need to consider a career... I notice that almost all lower league managers are un-heard of. But can anyone explain what steps i should take at this age to get a good start in this career?

I know. It's cheesy etc. I'm not only considering this career due to the fact that i'm good at a simulation game.. But i think it's where i would like to work.. I love football.. And the money is always increasing within it... I would love to be part of it...

I noticed that many top-knotch managers start off at 16 or 17. And at a local club.. But even in this day and age.. You can't just walk into your local team and request you manage them.. This is where i'm confused.. I would love some feedback on the topic..

If you can help, just comment back what you know or what i should do. Like GCSE courses or A-Levels etc. Also.. I have work-experience soon.. If i want to go into football.. Where should i go for a week or two too learn about managerial skills etc?

I hope you guys can read and give me some feedback,
FourFourTwo.

you need to do your, FA coaching badgets, level 1,2,3,4,5,6 before you can do pro liences. look on fa website for info mate.

you need to do your, FA coaching badgets, level 1,2,3,4,5,6 before you can do pro liences. look on fa website for info mate.

Thanks. :)
I will look into it now.
Do you think it's possible to manage at a very young age in modern football? Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson both managed before they turned twenty. Is it possible?

my mates, currently about to take his level 3 in coaching, he is 17, he just coaching at a very local club, under 13s. at the moment, you need to get in touch with people, at your local pro club, and ask then for advice

Talk to as many people in the business as you can, send e-mails asking for advice, pretty much what scott said is good advice.

Good luck with this, not something many people consider.

Talk to as many people in the business as you can, send e-mails asking for advice, pretty much what scott said is good advice.

Good luck with this, not something many people consider.

Yeah. I'm trying to get hold of some clubs etc.

Thanks, i know.. It's a rough buisness. But i would love to be part of it. Not only is the money great. But you get something to do every day of the week. Which i would also love.
I will take up on the coaching levels advice.
And hopefully i can get hold of some guys. :D
I figured if i start off young.. Then i could learn the basics by the time i'm 17/18. Maybe manage a first team then.. Not like an U-13s or something. :)

Yeah. I'm trying to get hold of some clubs etc.

Thanks, i know.. It's a rough buisness. But i would love to be part of it. Not only is the money great. But you get something to do every day of the week. Which i would also love.
I will take up on the coaching levels advice.
And hopefully i can get hold of some guys. :D
I figured if i start off young.. Then i could learn the basics by the time i'm 17/18. Maybe manage a first team then.. Not like an U-13s or something. :)

You may not gain much respect from a bunch of adults with no proper experince if you go straight into managing a 1st team at the age of 17/18
Best to start from the bottom and work your way up :)

What would you describe as "bottom"? Pub teams? ;)

school teams or junior leagues is a good shout to get your foot in the door, type in grass roots soccer into google, they set up jobs for youngters who want to be coaches, i got a job coaching a young school team with another bloke, but they dis continued the team, shame aswell as it was 7.50 an hour, although it was only like 6 hours in total a week, but its for doing something nice and easy. Check it out.

Also when you finish school, there are programmes for youngsters to go to america and live with a few others doing the same thing, all reservations paid for and you get to coach teams for like 1 year then come back, or you could always stay out there. You also get paid wages for that.

One more thing that might look good on your expierience is charity work, their are organistations which will take you all round africa coaching football. I don't believe you get paid for that though.

Last edited:
school teams or junior leagues is a good shout to get your foot in the door, type in grass roots soccer into google, they set up jobs for youngters who want to be coaches, i got a job coaching a young school team with another bloke, but they dis continued the team, shame aswell as it was 7.50 an hour, although it was only like 6 hours in total a week, but its for doing something nice and easy. Check it out.

Will do man thanks. :)

It would be very hard to manage a first team at 17/18, you'd have to be looking at 25 before he becoming a coach for a first team let alone a manager, if you are able to complete all coaching badges, you can easily get a job at a club in need in coaches, I think the better license you have, you may even get recommended to a football league club, not sure how it works

It would be very hard to manage a first team at 17/18, you'd have to be looking at 25 before he becoming a coach for a first team let alone a manager, if you are able to complete all coaching badges, you can easily get a job at a club in need in coaches, I think the better license you have, you may even get recommended to a football league club, not sure how it works

Thanks for comment. :)
Does anyone know the sort of pay i could be expecting if i can get into Coaching/Management at a low level? If anyone knows any wages or anything. I would probably have too have a second job until i do get enough experience. |)

I know somebody who is doing this, he has got a job in coaching my old secondary school team if I'm not mistaken.

I know somebody who is doing this, he has got a job in coaching my old secondary school team if I'm not mistaken.

I would love to manage school teams. :$

I would love to manage school teams. :$

It isn't really too hard, however you have already said that you are 14 which would be an issue in this case. He got a job there after leaving and staying in touch with the PE Teacher so obviously since you aren't leaving in around 3 years that isn't likely to come along any time soon. It's key to be patient mate ;)

I'm wanting to stay in football, thats why I'm now a referee :D. I'm definitely going to look to do my coaching badges aswell.

It isn't really too hard, however you have already said that you are 14 which would be an issue in this case. He got a job there after leaving and staying in touch with the PE Teacher so obviously since you aren't leaving in around 3 years that isn't likely to come along any time soon. It's key to be patient mate ;)

Haha. Yep :) I suppose i can get some qualifications if i take some coaching courses in my own time. Any idea where i can go for work experience. I get 2 weeks off school in easter. :)
Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

I'm wanting to stay in football, thats why I'm now a referee :D. I'm definitely going to look to do my coaching badges aswell.

What level in football do you referee? And how did you get into it? oO)
Im looking into these coaching badges :D

I'm 14 so, anything under my age. Just type in like refereeing courses, then boom. Also, its £25-£30 per game 11 a side :D

Unfortunately I'm a bit out of touch with information on this. Never once thought about a career in football.

Back