Can FM every let us play the way Real and Athletico did?

theone25

Reaction score
I'm talking about the pressing above all else.. If we try to press the way Ath Madrid did it'll leave a huge gap behind the def for the opp to exploit, but that didn't happen last night, Ronaldo and Bale never once got any ground to run into, but they were harried as soon as they got the ball on many an occasion. The pressing really needs to be improved in the game. What do you guys think? Hoping to see something similar in the next version FM 15 if not the next patch.

I do think there is a problem with the defensive line in this game. The high line gets exploited too easily and even the deepest possible defensive line often gets beaten with a ball over the top. Just needs re-balancing like a lot of things in this game.

FM is a very basic game and you cant replicate any modern tactics even to 70%. So no.

The issue with the defensive line is that it's not implemented and how high the pitch you're allowing your defenders to run up to, but how much closing down the defenders will use. So, no matter how low or high you set your defensive line, your defenders will run up the same line in your attacks - A few yards before the midfield line. Instead, what it does is that they will move closer to the attackers when they start their attack or will try to keep some distance between them and the attackers. That means that, during the attack, the opposition won't have it as easy to exploit long balls over your defense; however, since they're in the same place during your attack and there the closing down doesn't matter, in the moment of losing the ball the opposition will have a player level with your defence just the same regardless of the defensive line setting and in those first moments there's no difference regarding chances of success for balls over the defence.

And what I want is that they change it to mean how high your defenders are allowed to run during attack. And then another for how deep your strikers shall drop during defence.

Yea it's probably a very complex bit of coding, but I hope the guys at FM find a way to implement it, after all that's what we're paying them for. When the opposition players try to break, the defenders aren't nearly close enough to them to harry and force them into a backpass as soon as they get one ball out of defense, also even when it's not a lightning quick counter, and the opp are passing into your def.. one CB ALWAYS moves out of position and tries to close down the attacker with the ball, no matter me telling them to close down less, this leaves a huge gap between one CB and the fullback that the striker always easily exploits. Just awful, that almost never happens in RL.

In my experience, most people have their Match Training set to Attacking-Movement only . . . .and then wonder why their teams don't look like they know how to defend.

In my experience, most people have their Match Training set to Attacking-Movement only . . . .and then wonder why their teams don't look like they know how to defend.

Thats a good point. Though general training is also important. In my experience the best training category is ball control cos it deals with possession traits and if you can keep the ball well then opposition wont get chances to score many.

Also, in my experience with FM14 the defensive line is not that problematic. Ive had great success almost exclusively with high defence, pressing etc tactics and formations. The trick is to watch matches and react to what you see. For example if you are leading by one goal going into the last ten minutes, keeping a high defensive line is a recepe for disaster.

So, yes its possible to have a successful high defensive line, pressing tactic but not to the degree of Athletico Madrid vs Real match as the opposition WILL find a way to get behind you. You can limit this by identifying the creative players in the opposition team and deal with them with the OIs (which again tends to be effective). For example I play with a dlp defence in front of my back 4 and sometimes I dont mind setting him to man mark the oppositions sole cf.

You fixed nothing.

The game is dumbed-down every year, it is not evolving the way the modern footbal do. In modern football, the versatility is the main key.

What did we get this year? Some outdated view on football with restricted roles of players where you can change almost nothing, you cant say to you CD to close down less and to sit deep. You cant say you winger to play narrower and to cut inside more. You cant say you IFA to cross more etc, etc. I cant say to my team to support my AF, F9 or T with crosses. I have to choose TM like an idiot but I cant change the TM role to IF, Winger or AF. Or F9. I have Messi, we can say the F9 is the best for him, ok. Opposition is parking the bus, so I want more long shots from him, because his longs shots are pretty high, so I want more longs shots from him. And what, I cant say it to him to do it, because there is no longshot button, only "shoot more", so now, he will shoot always like an idiot, no matter the distance, no matter if the opportunity is right or not.

And same applies to the team, I cant say them when to press, how to press, when to win the ball, who to press, by who to press, which player to press with more players, which player to man mark in which locations on the pitch, to mark him with the ball or without the ball only etc.. I cant say my players where to move, how to move.

The game as a simulator failed like noone on the market, because football is evolving and FM is still stuck in 1998 with 442, which is the still the most effective formation in the game and you can win with it easily with minimal tweaks.

When people who are behind the ME say that you should play with the counterattack menatility to simulate Barcelona and use the attacking mentality to play the real life counterattack system, something is wrong with the game and ME.

Last edited: