Can signing players in January derail your season?

Minstrels

Reaction score
Just trying to get to the bottom of this before I start the new season. I only lost twice up till the middle of January in all competitions and then signed four players, my season then trailed off. Is this due to the signings? Will they be back next year or could it be deeper than that, could one of the players be disruptive? Signed Bojan, Thiago, Muniain + Wilshere.

I can only speak for myself but from past experience no, I usually sign no one in the summer transfer window and sign what i need in the january transfer window. but i have noticed that occasionally no matter who i am i will eventually encounter a "dry streak" where i need to change things in order to win ...the only way i have found to change this is to keep rotating your formations and your players.

Disruptive players you are usually aware of by your interactions with them so unless they have ruffled a few feathers i shouldnt think that would be a problem

i know if you sign a lot of players some of your current team may become unhappy e.g. you have 3 strikers, signing bojan and muniain might annoy them but again you would be informed off their displeasure.

Just trying to get to the bottom of this before I start the new season. I only lost twice up till the middle of January in all competitions and then signed four players, my season then trailed off. Is this due to the signings? Will they be back next year or could it be deeper than that, could one of the players be disruptive? Signed Bojan, Thiago, Muniain + Wilshere.

I think they can. If you are winning all of your games, then you introduce new players, no matter what their quality, they are going to take time to adapt to your formation.

For example, if you are an English club, then you have signed three Spanish players who don't speak English. This in turn reduces the 'familiarity' of your team to the current tactics and you may experience a drop in results.

I can only speak for myself but from past experience no, I usually sign no one in the summer transfer window and sign what i need in the january transfer window. but i have noticed that occasionally no matter who i am i will eventually encounter a "dry streak" where i need to change things in order to win ...the only way i have found to change this is to keep rotating your formations and your players.

Disruptive players you are usually aware of by your interactions with them so unless they have ruffled a few feathers i shouldnt think that would be a problem

i know if you sign a lot of players some of your current team may become unhappy e.g. you have 3 strikers, signing bojan and muniain might annoy them but again you would be informed off their displeasure.

I think they can. If you are winning all of your games, then you introduce new players, no matter what their quality, they are going to take time to adapt to your formation.

For example, if you are an English club, then you have signed three Spanish players who don't speak English. This in turn reduces the 'familiarity' of your team to the current tactics and you may experience a drop in results.
Cheers guys, I normally don't like signing in January however I couldn't pass the offer. For Newcastle to be offered Thiago + Bojan for around 5M for BOTH of them and then to be offered Wilshere for 6M + Muniain for 23M (it's ****** Muniain at the Toon!) is incredible. In my fifth season and have a transfer budget of 59.6M (buying and selling) and I need to offload a few players. Want to secure a LB but then I believe that's spare money.