Can someone please explain how the #$@#!@ this works?

MartFM

Reaction score
I'm currently managing Hajduk Split in Croatia. Did the same last year, won the CL for the first time in 2021. Very successful to say the least. :$

This game though, it makes absolutely no sense. I win everything in Europe: destroyed Panathinaikos 5-0 and 2-0, beat Athletic Bilbao 3-2, beat Legia Warsaw 3-0 and so on. In other words, I'm beating way bigger clubs with ease. In all honesty, there should be no way to actually beat them since the difference in quality is absolutely massive.

Now the league, the team acts like they've got no idea what's going on around them. They don't listen to any instructions (such as prevent short GK distribution, they just stand at the halfway line looking at the short distribution happening in front of their eyes! :S) I lose to way smaller teams, both at home and away. I just completely lost it when the team were losing 4-1 away to Zadar: saved the game and slammed my laptop shut.

I just can't understand how I beat these big(ger) European clubs, but fail to do well against the minuscule teams in Croatia.

How does this work? :'( It's driving me crazy.

Mental attributes are important here. Players with good mental attributes will not struggle in this respect. they are your model pros, but other players may struggle to motivate themselves to play against small domestic league sides, motivation to play in Europe is easy.

Hidden attributes like 'big game player' may also have an Impact

then there are your tactics. In Europe you probably play a bit tighter, maybe on the counter attack. In your league, and especially at home, if you use these tactics you are asking for trouble. The smaller teams will be up for playing you (consider what I have just said about motivation) and will be hassling and working hard to get a result. If you sit back you make it easier for them. You need a more positive tactic to dominate smaller teams

It's also a beta, so you may be suffering from some known issues which will be fixed in release

I had similar problems with Real Madrid. Smashed Barca 6-0, smashed Atletico Madrid & Valencia 4-0. Then lost to Celtic in the Champions League, TWICE!!!

I've tweaked my tactics to play slower tempo & more possession and now I'm beating everyone equally. The smaller clubs sit back a lot more and require more probing football. The big clubs attack you and leave bigger gaps in defense.

I could be completely wrong, but that's my experience so far. I use a single tactic approach, no changes game to game.

The problem is neither in the tactic or in FM. It's all about being dynamic during matches, observing what is going wrong and changing what's needed. If you just sit and watch and don't do nothing, it will be easier to loose more matches. Also helps knowing that there aren't invincible teams in football.

I had similar problems with Real Madrid. Smashed Barca 6-0, smashed Atletico Madrid & Valencia 4-0. Then lost to Celtic in the Champions League, TWICE!!!

I've tweaked my tactics to play slower tempo & more possession and now I'm beating everyone equally. The smaller clubs sit back a lot more and require more probing football. The big clubs attack you and leave bigger gaps in defense.

I could be completely wrong, but that's my experience so far. I use a single tactic approach, no changes game to game.

It may be that I need to be more conservative in the league. Even though it still wouldn't make too much sense, Hajduk are the third or fourth best team in Croatia and there's not much difference between them and other teams (Dinamo and Rijeka aside).

I could try playing possession and lower tempo, but it would be a waste of the extreem physical nature this team has. The majority of the squad is very tall, making direct football quite suitable. They win the majority of headers.

Can you place screenshot of your tactics (with player roles), team instructions, and opposite instrucions if you have them?:)

I am planing to start with hajduk too so this could help me:)