Can this team challenge for Europe?

Ryz

Reaction score
Last season I won the Liga Sagres, this season I had to cut back on wages, resulting in deadwood being sold. This season I've relied on some youngsters stepping up. We crashed and burned in the Champions League however find outselves top of Liga Sagres by 3 points.

I kept a close eye on players who contracts are close to expiring and Willian and Charliei Adam will be joining at the start of next season.

In January I had 35M to spend and have brought in M'Vila who my scout rates 4 1/2* for 17M and Jovetic for 11M. Also Romario as he looks a very promising RB for the future.

With this squad do you think I could be a strong challenger for the Champions league next season, please feel free to give me some advice.

porto.jpg

Last edited:
Willian for sure will improve the side and I'm sure they'll compete in Champions League but not sure if it's good enough to win it. Definitely later knock out stages though.

Hm. Challenger IN Europe, certainly. FOR Europe, as in winning it, unlikely unless it's the Europa League. You just don't have the depth and quality needed to win it without some truly stellar management.

Hm. Challenger IN Europe, certainly. FOR Europe, as in winning it, unlikely unless it's the Europa League. You just don't have the depth and quality needed to win it without some truly stellar management.

Agreed, although my team soar with confidence being a big fish in a small pond in Portugal, Falcao scored 45 last season and can cause problems to any defence, what position do you think needs more depth?

Agreed, although my team soar with confidence being a big fish in a small pond in Portugal, Falcao scored 45 last season and can cause problems to any defence, what position do you think needs more depth?

Well, for starters I reckon you need new fullbacks. I'm interested by Moutinho's role, looks a bit roundabout to have a CM with a defensive role and a DM with a support one. It works, presumably?

Well, for starters I reckon you need new fullbacks. I'm interested by Moutinho's role, looks a bit roundabout to have a CM with a defensive role and a DM with a support one. It works, presumably?

yeah i would do it the other way around :mad:

Personally, I reckon you could stand a chance, but i'd consider tweaking your tactics slightly. Try pushing M'Vila into midfield - set him to ball winning mid, and set your other midfielder to deep lying playmaker/support. Set your wingers to inside forwards (I assume this is already the case, given the tactics that you're using) and put them as support duty. Set 1 CB to stopper and the other to cover, and your DL & DR to automatic. I think, given the players you have at your disposal, that you'll find the slight tweak very effective.

Europa League, yes.
Champions League, no.

You'll need at least another 3-4 quality first team players, and then quality back-up players.

I use Moutinho as a deep lying-playmaker and defensive to discourage him from pushing too high up the pitch as I attack from the wings, he seems to dictate the play and he got 21 assists last season and looks to feed one of the wide players a through ball, I have Fernando/M'Vila supporting the space left open by Moutinho and most of the time they end up square together, so far it's a winning formula!

vsmonaco.jpg

early days but im hoping to win the europa ;)

I use Moutinho as a deep lying-playmaker and defensive to discourage him from pushing too high up the pitch as I attack from the wings, he seems to dictate the play and he got 21 assists last season and looks to feed one of the wide players a through ball, I have Fernando/M'Vila supporting the space left open by Moutinho and most of the time they end up square together, so far it's a winning formula!

Very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing. Never seen it used like that, but it could well work, might have to try it at some point.

Bochetti is a beast, I bought him on my Inter save but Ranocchia took over him in the packing order, have a look how much Ranocchia is worth a couple of seasons in.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have 9M to splash and will look into those players in the summer, won the europa league btw ^^)

took me 3 years to finally lift it! considering resigning from them now and hopefully getting offered a national team in the world cup :)