Can we create a tactic that is focused solely around crossing?

jonnysnipe

Reaction score
Trying every single tactic (pretty much) on this forum there is a trend that keeps on going through for me, the AI will always score from crosses, a lot of the best chances come from crosses so why not focus a tactic solely around that?

Apparently no matter the defenders you have a cross comes in they will become fully special and not pick up the one man in the box even though there is 3 of them covering that area! Even the top teams I play, United and Chelsea always scoring crosses against me never through the middle! Why play nice football and create lovely 1 on 1s with the keeper when you can cross it 40 times in a game which will probably produce more goals.

My challenge for you guys? Seems our defenders hate crosses so why wouldnt the AI defenders also hate it!

Tried myself but I am awful I just want a load of crosses in the game to a target man or someone getting on the end of it!

As we speak just lost 2-0 to swansea with west ham they had 4 shots I had 17 and wouldnt you guess it 2 crosses!

yes! it's the best way also for me! i noted that the best forward for crossing is focus of the game?(maybe in english is so) infact with my tactic he scores a lot of goal but i want more! i want a rigid tactic where the defender pass the ball to any wing and cross cross cross cross cross cross!

Yup I want 100% cross abuse, like that game United had with Moyes now if that had been on this years FM united would have won 20-0

I can think of 4 - 4 - 2 with 2 wingers + 2 attacking wing backs set to " cross so often " and " Hit early crosses " , Also exploit flanks & clear ball to flanks . That may help a lot .

As simple a system as it seems, you'd need the right players in every position, Left footers on the left and right footers on the right, you'd need multiple targets as 1 would be marked easily. And then ofc you have to choose your setup, with spamming crosses you're hardly controlling play, and focussing on one thing would make it very rigid I suppose.

Definitely worth looking into.

Well its just my own personal analysis of the game I have found that the best opportunities come from crosses as I said my strikers can be through one on one and fluff it constantly but one cross comes in and they are golden! Will have a look at some options today! Was thinking 442 one cm on attack other on defend not sure about cwbs as that would cause the wingers and fullbacks stepping on each others toes! Don't know what I would set strikers as, wingers on attack cm on attack and two strikers should flood the box enough with the full backs on support

In my experience a balanced approach is always best.

I myself long considered the clearest of clear cut chances to come from crosses, and have experimented with this approach myself.

I have found cross biased tactics to be very streaky, you can go on a fabulous high scoring run of games only to suddenly stop creating chances and scoring which leads to inconsistant and frustrating results.

I think you rely on your wide players getting the better of their immediate opponent, when they do, you win, when they don't your chances dry up.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like a combination of 2 things.

Firstly, the general one of being too attacking, the opposition getting space on the wings, and getting quality balls into the box.

Secondly, watching it on key highlights (nothing wrong with that!). You'll see every one on one miss, because all of them will be deemed a good enough chance to be shown. With crosses, you'll only see the ones which result in a chance. You won't actually see the 80% of them that don't reach one of your/the oppositions players.

You'll get on average no more than about 23% cross completion. Thus meaning 77% of them time, you'll give the ball away. That sounds incredibly risky with your proposed 4-4-2 with wingers, full backs and one CM attacking.

Crane every tactic on the forum is exactly the same though whether the full backs be on defend or attack I concede a stupid amount from crossing so wanted to experiment with it myself! Rosler you have already tried have you? That's worrying cause see you as a good tactic maker and thought this would be a good idea hmm will give it a go later!

Upload one of your saves in which you've played a season and I'll have a look, see if I can determine the problem.

Saying that every single tactic will concede loads from crosses is wrong, btw.

Not everyone but in my experience I would say over 60-70 percent of my goals conceded are from crosses including corners! Otherwise sea to be balls in behind full backs and defensive errors! Gonna work on this and you do realise everyone else has a different experience? This has been mine, yours will have been different for me I feel this mat work and wanted some tips on where to start the basis of this tactic

Not everyone but in my experience I would say over 60-70 percent of my goals conceded are from crosses including corners! Otherwise sea to be balls in behind full backs and defensive errors! Gonna work on this and you do realise everyone else has a different experience? This has been mine, yours will have been different for me I feel this mat work and wanted some tips on where to start the basis of this tactic

You do realise we're all playing on exactly the same match engine?

You do realise there are many different variables that can effect tactics? I'm not am idiot, I know we are all on the same match engine but I've found looking through tactic posts that people playing on the Sam match engine get widely varied results so to me the match engine is only one part of a larger picture

You do realise there are many different variables that can effect tactics? I'm not am idiot, I know we are all on the same match engine but I've found looking through tactic posts that people playing on the Sam match engine get widely varied results so to me the match engine is only one part of a larger picture

I never said it wasn't. I've explained some of the reasons behind you believing that you concede 60-70% of your goals through crosses.

Reminds me a bit of this :D http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26120927

I want to emulate that mighty United performance ha to be honest crane it's coming to the end of the game and wanted to give this a go I would imagine I am going to be onone dimensional but wanna try it! Sorry my experienceexperiences with multiple tactics is unbelievable for you but trust me watching it I was in disbelief myself! Sorry for going on the attack but didn't put what I was trying to achieve in clear words!

Crane every tactic on the forum is exactly the same though whether the full backs be on defend or attack I concede a stupid amount from crossing so wanted to experiment with it myself! Rosler you have already tried have you? That's worrying cause see you as a good tactic maker and thought this would be a good idea hmm will give it a go later!

Dont get me wrong, you can over achieve with a tactic based on lots of crosses so its perfectly possible to play this way if you like, my 442 emergence tactic was set up to do just this.

In terms of conceding, lots of tactics on here have attacking FB's or Wingbacks which compounds the issue but I accept when i've tried 'stay at home' FB's you still concede from crosses as they get beat quite easily.

There are ways to influence the types of chances you concede, by utilizing a high defensive line you encourage balls 'over the top' so in a way you are swapping conceding chances from crosses for conceding chances from one on one's.

I'll take one on one's all day but it looks horrendous when you get caught out.

The other approach is loading midfield and cutting the supply line to the flanks by dominating the centre of the pitch and winning the possession battle.

Even so, you will still concede some goals from crosses.

p.s i'm working on a tactic which incorporates all of the above ideas which is kicking '****' at the moment. Watch this space ;)