MurrayTheMac

Reaction score
I can't make a counter-attacking strategy work. No matter what I try, no matter how much stuff I read on how it should work, it just doesn't. Got a deep 4-2-3-1, fast wingers, got it set up to counter, direct game, narrow, fast tempo ... nothing I try makes it anything better than pathetic. My wingers don't seem to get forward, my DLP doesn't make any long passes forward all match, I tried setting my striker as a run-onto-ball target man, nothing. Can't get a single shot at goal using it, players just don't ****** get forward no matter what settings I set to try and tell them to hit on the break.

How the **** do you make a counter-attacking strategy which works?

If you could give us more informations about your tactic, or better post it ...

Post some screenshots or a link to your tactics so people can see what you try to do now.

Fair enough.

middlesboroughtactics1.png

That's how it currently is, though a lot of it is probably crazy stuff I've been trying to make it work.

Last edited:
Look, I may be new at this whole mullarkey, but I'm doing my best here to make a post with the information. I would appreciate some form of help, or at the very least a post saying "We need this information before we can help you". Getting no replies when I'm floundering over here is quite frustrating.

Look, I may be new at this whole mullarkey, but I'm doing my best here to make a post with the information. I would appreciate some form of help, or at the very least a post saying "We need this information before we can help you". Getting no replies when I'm floundering over here is quite frustrating.

Have a look in my tactic thread at the top of the forum. IN there, you have some good setups as how to play an agressiv counter, a more cautious appraoch theat makes fewer counter attacks etc.

Here is an example of my approach using the same formation as you do

2.) A more agressive Counter approach

counterapproach.png

3.) A much more cautious and defensive approach. Consider NOT hassle

cauytipusappar.png

I appreciate the examples, but I'm not as experienced as you are and some of how those tactics are meant to work confuses me.

I thought the idea of a counter-attacking strategy was when you win back the ball in your half, to get the ball quickly up the other end, especially to the wingers who can put a quick cross in, or to the CF who can run onto the ball and get behind the defence. Instead, your strategy plays with a slow tempo, aims to retain possession (which I've always associated with making shorter passes to safe positions instead of aiming to get the ball forward), passes to feet instead of making any through-balls for the forwards/wingers ... I'm just not understanding how the tactic is meant to work, sorry? Could someone maybe give a little overview ... I'm not a plug 'n' player, if I don't understand a tactic, I don't use it (because how can you adapt tactics to your squad if you don't understand it, eh?).

I appreciate the examples, but I'm not as experienced as you are and some of how those tactics are meant to work confuses me.

I thought the idea of a counter-attacking strategy was when you win back the ball in your half, to get the ball quickly up the other end, especially to the wingers who can put a quick cross in, or to the CF who can run onto the ball and get behind the defence. Instead, your strategy plays with a slow tempo, aims to retain possession (which I've always associated with making shorter passes to safe positions instead of aiming to get the ball forward), passes to feet instead of making any through-balls for the forwards/wingers ... I'm just not understanding how the tactic is meant to work, sorry? Could someone maybe give a little overview ... I'm not a plug 'n' player, if I don't understand a tactic, I don't use it (because how can you adapt tactics to your squad if you don't understand it, eh?).

As you can see, there are 2 strategies posted above. One that gets the ball forward more often and more quickly and one that tries to retain possession more.

The thing about the "counterbox", having it ticked, is that it makes you whole team really attacking and they will be more likely to lauch an counter attack than if not having it ticked. The team will take more risk in terms of that they will lauch these attacks even though the opponent has quite many players in the correct side of the ball. The slower tempo is basiclly applied when you DONT launch them and is to invite the opponent on to you.

Last edited:
why don't you try and change to fluid instead of rigid that way your defence will move up with the ball a bit more and give your wingers a chance to find space break away :)

I would play a 4-1-2-2-1 if you see what I mean. The way Arsenal play with a DMC which is actually a deep lying playmaker, two central midfielders who can tackle, dribble and pass so good all rounders - set one more defensive and one more attacking but both to support.

Make sure full backs defend and are set to direct passing and direct team to pass down the wings.
Play deeper, narrow and quick.
The full backs and DLP(DMC) should then stay back but also put direct passes over the midfield straight to either the wingers or striker, whoever is in space.