Got four straight clean sheets all of a sudden with the same tactics, playing as West Brom. Beat Swansea 1-0, Leicester 2-0, Oxford 1-0 and Sunderland 1-0. Against the weaker teams it seems to be working fine. Got over 60% possession and almost triple the amount of shots all those matches.

Setting my full backs to defend really helped me away from home.

My tactic was the bomb in FM15. I won 8-5 vs Real Madrid in the CL final season 3 with Huddersfield.

8-5? You won, but also conceded 5 goals.. So it might have work in attack in FM 15, but it definetely didn't work in defence. FM16 is much more about AI reacting to your tactics and weaknesses in more intelligent way.. So it is understandable, that the tactic doesn't work anymore.. I would rather win 3-0, not 8-5 :)

My team is getting used to my tactic know, just humped Man City 4-1 away and Liverpool 7-2 at home. I play with West Brom and just finished the first season. Finished 7th in the league and won the Capital One Cup :)

Crosses are a pain in a$$ for everyone in FM16 :p

It's not just that. I think positioning is off for midfielders as well. Unless I play a DM I find I invariably get absolutely slaughtered everywhere.

Mind you, I think the game just hates me. I threw a 4-4-2 on Manchester United Vs Rotherham and they were 2-0 down within 10 minutes. Rotherham were absolutely battering them and dominating, it was getting ridiculous.

I've yet to find a shape that I'm comfortable with that doesn't just let the opposition waltz through and have fun. Basically, even with sensible, balanced set ups that aren't stupidly attacking, I get utterly crushed. It's depressing :X

It's not just that. I think positioning is off for midfielders as well. Unless I play a DM I find I invariably get absolutely slaughtered everywhere.

Mind you, I think the game just hates me. I threw a 4-4-2 on Manchester United Vs Rotherham and they were 2-0 down within 10 minutes. Rotherham were absolutely battering them and dominating, it was getting ridiculous.

I've yet to find a shape that I'm comfortable with that doesn't just let the opposition waltz through and have fun. Basically, even with sensible, balanced set ups that aren't stupidly attacking, I get utterly crushed. It's depressing :X

What's your setup like?

Hey dudes,
I have used the 4-3-3 Narrow formation since practically Championship Manager 3. It's too late to change my ways now. My tactics are almost identical yours, but with more Support players.

Having major difficulty getting it to work in FM16. Went Madrid and won everything during Beta including undefeated seasons. Thought I had cracked it again.

I am now managing AC Milan and having much bigger problems getting it to work. It appears to be much harder now to balance it out between defending and attacking. I have usually used the team instructions Attacking and Flexible which worked a treat, but I have noticed while watching games there is a big gap between the midfield and attack causing loss of possession so I may try to use a Fluid structure to bring the team together. As for the player roles I am still experimenting.

Also use Team Instructions - Short Passing (obviously), Get Stuck in (well why not, I am managing in Italy!), More Pressing (to get stuck in more!) & Fairly Narrow to allow the short passing to work better. Going full narrow seems to just create a mob of players in the middle and usually a boring 0-0 result with 1 highlight.

Currently I have bought a few wingers to try out width. It is working great. I finally beat Juventus to the Serie A title and my wingers won loads of World Player awards. Blistering pace down the wings, beating all sorts. Thrashing Barcelona & PSG easily. But it's just wrong. I am going to flog them and go back to 4-3-3.

the good thing is, AI can't defend crosses as well. Just outcross them and watch the goals.

I hope next patch would just eliminate crosses from match engine. Like, no more goals from crosses, ever.

the good thing is, AI can't defend crosses as well. Just outcross them and watch the goals.

I hope next patch would just eliminate crosses from match engine. Like, no more goals from crosses, ever.

Because that's realistic....

What's your setup like?

For the 4-4-2 or the 4-2-3-1?

I'll post both anyway :p

4-4-2 was: FB/A CB/D CB/D FB/S - W/S, CM/D, CM/S, W/A, AP/S, AF/A (4-4-1-1 basically, standard, flexible, no instructions.)

4-2-3-1 was: WB/A, CB/D, CB/D, WB/A - DM/D, DLP/S, WM/S, AP/A (in CM), IF/S, DLF/S

In both set ups the opposition just seizes the midfield and ruins us.

I'm just crying on FMT, watching Nottingham Forest play a 4-2DM-3AM-1 and utterly destroy me, no matter what tactic I use against it. I won using my own 4-2-3-1 thanks to two goals scored from the halfway line, Nottingham on the other hand, waltz into my box with ease.

It's a recurring problem for me, short of setting a 4-4DM formation I don't know if its just my ****** luck, or the game hates me! :p

This.

You'll have to wait for the next patch before you'll be able to properly defend your wide area's. FBs/WBs aren't doing their job defensively and CBs are getting dragged out wide to compensate.

From the recent change log....

MATCH ENGINE

• Improved defending of full backs who were tucking in inappropriately
  • Improved behaviour of backline when deciding to cover out of position players

so is this due in the next patch or was this done in the last patch?

ok, so it must be something im doing wrong with the defenders roles. just seems no matter if i mark tight or not. close down more or less. tackle harder and stand off they just watch the players cross the ball on the their strikers heads or walk past my defenders.