Can't get Robin Van Persie to score!

Stix007

Reaction score
Good day Gentlemen,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm on my first season with Man Utd, and it's going pretty well, top of the league after 21 games and 7 points adrift. The problem is Van Persie. He can't seem to score as he should. I average 3 goals a game and he hardly ever features on the scoresheet and this is a worry as I only play one striker.

He's got 10 goals in 26 appearances (w/out subs) and I've tried everything! I'm commented on his form and he always says he'll try improve but nothing. Hernandez on the other hand has 12 goals in 8 appearances which is quite brilliant but why have Van Persie and not start him if you know what I mean.

Anyway I need advice on what to do. Thanks

Good day Gentlemen,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm on my first season with Man Utd, and it's going pretty well, top of the league after 21 games and 7 points adrift. The problem is Van Persie. He can't seem to score as he should. I average 3 goals a game and he hardly ever features on the scoresheet and this is a worry as I only play one striker.

He's got 10 goals in 26 appearances (w/out subs) and I've tried everything! I'm commented on his form and he always says he'll try improve but nothing. Hernandez on the other hand has 12 goals in 8 appearances which is quite brilliant but why have Van Persie and not start him if you know what I mean.

Anyway I need advice on what to do. Thanks

Well, Hernandez acts like a poacher, trying to beat the offside trap whilst RVP acts like a link man, coming deep to get the ball. Herhandez will be at the end of the moves more often whilst RVP provides goals by dragging the opponent out of positon, providing space for the other players.

Last edited:
Well, Hernandez acts like a poacher, trying to beat the offside trap whilst RVP acts like a link man, coming deep to get the ball. Herhandez will be at the end of the moves more often whilst RVP provides goals by dragging the opponent out of positon, providing space for the other players.

Cheers for the reply,
I had thought of that fact, RVP being more of a link man, but with the formation I play, I preffered having natural poacher who tries to beat the offside trap as you've said. Do you suggest playing Hernandez ahead of RVP in such an instance? Or do you think Changing his indiviual role focus to "poacher" would do the trick? At this point I'm thinking of selling while he still has value

Cheers for the reply,
I had thought of that fact, RVP being more of a link man, but with the formation I play, I preffered having natural poacher who tries to beat the offside trap as you've said. Do you suggest playing Hernandez ahead of RVP in such an instance? Or do you think Changing his indiviual role focus to "poacher" would do the trick? At this point I'm thinking of selling while he still has value

By having them both in your squad, you get more options. When facing teams sitting deep and defend, a player like RVP is really useful to bring your other players into action and when being 2-0 up and/or opponents push up and leave space for a poacher to exploit, Chicarito will be the correct choice. So instead of seing it as a problem, look at it as a strength.

Alright cheers for that, I'll do exactly that! Thanks