Can't seem to create own tactic

iansim

Reaction score
Sort of new to FM, only started in FM18. I have always wanted to create my own tactic from scratch and I have tried to do so in FM19 but it never seems to work. Like a few games in I just get horribly destroyed by similar reputation teams. Any help? I try not to use too many player instructions because everyone says it works better from the basics.

This is where the presets can help as it gives you a starting point to work from. Have you tried that route?

Start with a preset that suits your players or your preferred style. Personally, I build on the players I have rather than impose my own style.

The, you have to give it time to become cohesive - 'a few games in' won't cut it, you are playing a long game here and it will take some time to tweak.

At start of save, arrange around 8 or 9 friendlies. Set your overall tactic, and watch the games in full (many recommend 2d view for this) Look at where you concede from and where you create chances. Where you control the space and where you don't and add/remove TIs and PIs as you see fit. Key is make small changes and watch the result.

Be patient is the key. Not only patience with the tactic, but also your understanding of the game. It sounds as if this is your first tactic from scratch, so it will take a while to get your head around the nuances.