Enda98

Reaction score
I'm doing a save with Wigan and I'm in my fourth season and I'm in the PL after consecutive promotions and a tenth place finish. Everything was going great but this season I like to think I have a squad capable of challenging for a Europa League place but I just can't win any away games. I haven't won a single away game this season despite only losing 2 home games so far this season. If anybody has any tactic recommendations for me to use away from home that would be greatly appreciated. I've tried these 2 tactics to help solve the problem but neither are helping solve the problem. I think I probably need to be more defensive but have never used a defensive tactic before so if anyone has their own one or a link to one that would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
View attachment 213420View attachment 213419View attachment 213418View attachment 213417View attachment 213416View attachment 213415

View attachment 213413By the way, this is the team that I just beat Liverpool 4-0 with in my next game... More than capable of winning games so I guess this is just proof that I need a new away tactic... Please help!

The first thing I see is.. You're playing with high risks on both sides of the field. Your players on the side will receive the bal and need to run at their defense. But, you also play with look for overlap and that
might be a huge risk when your back is away from his position while overlapping and your winger is losing the ball after a mistake/action. Can't open the pictures and my phone, so I can't give you more advice now.

Your 4-2-3-1 is insanely attacking and is likely to only have 2 defenders back when the opposition gets possession - A BWM is not a good choice as a sole defensive shield as he doesn't stay in position.

Changing your DLP to a DLP (D) will help keep somebody back in front of your defence. Also your because your IF/AP/W are all on Support they won't be getting into the box as much meaning your striker has to score or nobody will

Your 4-2-3-1 is insanely attacking and is likely to only have 2 defenders back when the opposition gets possession - A BWM is not a good choice as a sole defensive shield as he doesn't stay in position.

Changing your DLP to a DLP (D) will help keep somebody back in front of your defence. Also your because your IF/AP/W are all on Support they won't be getting into the box as much meaning your striker has to score or nobody will
Thanks for your input. I'll make those changes. What do you recommend instead of a BWM? Maybe dropping them both deeper and playing with a 4231 with an anchor man and DLP (d)?

The first thing I see is.. You're playing with high risks on both sides of the field. Your players on the side will receive the bal and need to run at their defense. But, you also play with look for overlap and that
might be a huge risk when your back is away from his position while overlapping and your winger is losing the ball after a mistake/action. Can't open the pictures and my phone, so I can't give you more advice now.
Thanks!! I'll make the change and see how it works.

I've decided to copy this tactic except playing with full backs on support and both DPL and BWM on defend. Do you think this would help solve my problem? http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ics/350037-4231-unbeaten-23-league-games.html