Cantona takes New York Cosmos job

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Former Manchester United star Eric Cantona is appointed director of soccer at New York Cosmos.

More...

'A club with no stadium or team.'

oO)

I look forward to him falcon kicking opposition managers.

remake a football team, sure why not!

This is the definition of taking a club from nothing. Hopefully it works out and they win the MLS, just cause.

Cantona est un Dieu!

I wish him all the best but off the field hes an eccentric fruit cake and I doubt hed have the patience or skill to undertake this kind of project. Hes someone who played football not an administrator.

Shows the growing popularity of the MLS with quite a few soccer icons being involved over there in some way, hope it works out well for him

Last edited:
how involved will he be as director of soccer?:S
or is he just there to raise their profile?

please can some start a custom sceanario for this will be a great challenge for MLS.

also heard rumours beckham might be involved in this, his contract is up with galaxy this season and part of his agreement with the MLS when he orginally went to america was he has a right to a MLS franchise. there was alot of speculation that would be with vancouvar but that was incorrrect, cosmos maybe - united connection as well with cantona.

watch this space

Shows the growing popularity of the MLS with quite a few soccer icons being involoved over there in some way, hope it works out well for him

is it really popularity or just the city's (new York for examle) and or money... either or I hope he succedes I go to school in NY so maybe I can see some games..

is it really popularity or just the city's (new York for examle) and or money... either or I hope he succedes I go to school in NY so maybe I can see some games..

Not really the popularity of New York I reckon, I mean alot more money has been splurged on the MLS system in recent times and loads of soccer icons have moved there so MLS is also slowly becoming global brand of sorts, probably Cantona has been appointed only to raise the profile of the League even higher and draw large crowds

Isn't Pele also the honorary president or something?