Carlos' champions league challenge (The Pentagon Challenge)

great achievment here...i have started this and am in africa at platinum stars..looks like i won't be ther long as season nearly over and near relagation zone...but gd luck in europe

Are you going to put a thread up? If you do I'd like to follow it! Good luck :)

Pretty awesome what you did there. Nice that you got the Bayern Leverkusen job :p Are you planning to use them to raise your reputation and take over a higher team or are you gonna try to go all the way with them? Because that might take a while. Maybe you had better gone for South-America first to raise your rep some more? Anyways, incredible job so far :D Keep it up!

Well originally the intention was to use Leverkusen to get some rep but I looked through the team, they finished 2nd last year and are currently in the champions' league, they've got players like Erick Torres, Eren Derdiyok, Ryan Bertrand, so I'll see what I can do with them first :)

Last edited:
Season 8 (2017/18)
I thought I'd run you through my team, because, alot changes in 8 years of football. Most teams are unrecognisable and this one is no different, I'll show you some of my key players, but not all of them so here you go:

Bernd Leno (GK)
At the heart of all my teams I like a good, consistent goalkeeper. Leno is one of the best, and in the short time I've been in charge he's been magnificent, our defence isn't great but having a good midfield, and 'keeper, helps eradicate the problem.
View attachment 265796

Ryan Bertrand (LB)
I'm sure you've all seen what Ryan Bertrand can do, and he has definitely lived up to his potential in this save. He is solid as a rock and the lowest match rating I've seen from him so far is a 6.80, considering I've played against both Dortmund and Manchester City, that's not bad.
View attachment 265797

Lars Bender (DM)
Every good team needs a captain fantastic, someone who lifts the whole side when they play, and when they're in the squad it seems like you just become harder to beat. Being a Hull City fan I would say this guy is like Ian Ashbee but with much better technical ability, of course most of you will have no idea who that is, so I'll just say he's the hard man of the team.
View attachment 265798

Harald Baumann (RM) (Regen)
Baumann is a strange sort of player, he has the immense ability to change a game in an instant but so often just sits in the right midfield position stringing passes together, which is good, until he scores a hat-trick against Man City and you realise just what he can do, but so often doesn't.
View attachment 265799

Erick Torres (AM)
When I first looked at the team this is a name that instantly jumped off the screen, I have used Torres with great success in this game before. He's technically gifted, unbelievably quick, and just sits in the space between midfield and attack wreaking havoc, and to top it off, he works incredibly well with van Leeuwen (See Below)
View attachment 265800

Eric van Leeuwen (ST) (Regen)
It takes a very special player to push Eren Derdiyok out of the side but whenever he plays he seems to score, which, for a striker, definitely helps. You may notice in the screenshot that his form in the last five games is, impressive, and his goals could be the difference in both the league and in Europe.
View attachment 265801

In summary, it seems I have unintentionally walked into my perfect side which is just as well because there's no money to buy anyone else. Looks promising :)

Are you going to put a thread up? If you do I'd like to follow it! Good luck :)

i may, but i am not so good in these sort of things lol and platium stars got relagated so i am waiting for another team..so i will find one and decide if i want to or not and thanks for saying u would follow

Lars Bender is a great player! Always end up signing him up for United in the first season. Impressive how you done all of this in just 8 seasons.

Season 8 (2017/18)
I joined Leverkusen at about the half-way stage in the season. Of course there was a reason that my predecessor got fired, and it's because Leverkusen were having a shocking season in the Bundesliga.

German Bundesliga
I wanted to be realistic, a very difficult league that I just wanted to place mid-table. Not very ambitious I know but Europe is different class to the continents I've managed in so far.
View attachment 265890
9th out of 18, the definition of mid-table...

Champions League first knockout round
We'd already qualified for the first knockout round against Man City, so I'd take anything
View attachment 265891
so there was the challenge that awaited me...

Leg 1:Bayer Leverkusen 4-0 Manchester City (van Leeuwen, Baumann [3])
Leg 2:Manchester City 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen (van Leeuwen)

A fantastic 5-2 aggregate win, but that loss in the second leg started a terrible run of results that only stopped with two wins from the last two games of the season.

Quarter Finals
We drew fellow countrymen FC Bayern, which was a difficult game, but still winnable.

Leg 1: Bayer Leverkusen 1-1 FC Bayern (van Leeuwen)
Leg 2: FC Bayern 2-0 Bayer Leverkusen

so we go crashing out of the CL but it was a fantastic campaign that we can be proud of.

Player of the season

Another difficult decision, van Leeuwen's goals had helped us win many matches, but my choice is:
Bernd Leno (GK)
A consistent performer all season. There was countless games this season where we were dominated by greater opposition but Leno kept us in it with a string of great saves. A good goalkeeper can make or break a season and hopefully I can hold onto him next season
View attachment 265894

I removed the Belgian and Czech leagues and replaced them with French and Russian leagues.

I have a dilemma and hope someone will help me, so...

I'm still at Bayer Leverkusen in Germany but with no continental qualification whatsoever it's not promising. But my team is quality so I'm hoping they'll come good.

Now here's where the problem lies, the manager of FC Porto (Portugal) retired. Leaving his team as champions of Portugal with a good team.
View attachment 265932View attachment 265933View attachment 265934View attachment 265935

So I think that FCP would give me a better chance of winning the CL, but if I apply and am rejected, I run the risk of losing my job at Leverkusen, and I'm back to square one.

Man, you should go to fcp. It's like a talent nest, love it. Do you know any other challenges that are as exciting and challenging?

Man, you should go to fcp. It's like a talent nest, love it. Do you know any other challenges that are as exciting and challenging?

Thanks I think I'll go for it, and I'm sorry but this is the first challenge I've really gone for so I'm not sure

Thanks I think I'll go for it, and I'm sorry but this is the first challenge I've really gone for so I'm not sure
Oh alright. BTW I only seen you Thread today . And spent an hour reading everything, fuuuuu. When is the next update? Following.

I'm still in pre-season and I'm at a party tomorrow so it might be more like sunday but if I can I'll try get it tomorrow afternoon

Season 9 (2018/19)
In the break inbetween seasons I took a rather large risk and walked away from Leverkusen to manage in Portugal for FC Porto. A great European team with a flattering history and reputation, so a good step forward. Let's have a look at my transfers, but first, the team I inherited.

Raphael Varane (CB)
Yes that's not how you spell his name but I can't find the two dots thingy. But Varane is a good player, despite having an annoying name. I expect great things from him, and from previous experience on FM, I think he will deliver.
View attachment 266062

Carlos Padinha (DM) (Regen)
Every team needs an anchor man, Lars Bender did a great job at Leverkusen and I hope this kid can replicate his success, he wasn't favoured by the previous manager but I think he'll be awesome. I have been wrong before.
View attachment 266063

Willian (AM)
On paper, the best player on the team, unfortunately our games are played on grass and even the best players are only human. I'm hoping I can use his abilities to their maximum potential, and if I'm successful, I'm sure the name of FC Porto will be engraved on the Portuguese league trophy again.
View attachment 266064

Hulk (RW)
If you hate terrible puns then you're going to want to never visit this thread again. But I see this guy as an icon of FC Porto and Portuguese football on the European stage because he has proved, numerous times, that he is incredible, with Willian and Rossi, they will hopefully form an attack to give defenders sleepless nights.
View attachment 266065

Giuseppe Rossi (ST)
Giuseppe Rossi is a good player, everyone knows that, but with the signing of Yamano, he probably won't be the main man up front.
View attachment 266066

Signings:
The squad is already pretty good, a couple of signings and we'll be ready to mount a push for the Champions League, but it will be as dark horses.

Tom Cleverley (AM) - Free
Released by United, I snapped him up on a free. he's a quality player and will push Willian for a first-team place.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (RW) - Loan
Unhappy at Arsenal so he adds to a strong attack, Hulk will be looking over his shoulder.

Naoji Yamano (ST) - £9.25 Million
A player I first noticed whilst at Leverkusen, he has very obvious ability and it took over nine million to pry him from Bayern, but I had to fight off several interested sides for his signature.
View attachment 266067

Overview:
I only have one more player I want to sign, a versatile defender, but with limited funds it's difficult. but my current squad is... Awesome. Versatility is a theme in my forward players, opening up endless possibilities as far as tactics are concerned.

Updates to follow.

well done in getting porto job u should reach ur aim with them....i have decided not to put a story with platinum stars cos they got relagated...but i may start a new game soon if not i have a bilbao,plymouth and carlisle games going at the mo(i kno a few games)

I think if you get a job offer from Leverkusen, getting the FCP job should be a realistic. If you don't get the job, well you'll probably get another good team at the end of the season. Quitting isn't gonna lower your rep, nothing wrong with taking a break for a while :p Even managers have to rest.