Carlos Quesada and Samuel Samura : Hope in Football

Wow, very detailed, good work, i'll try to follow, but now, back to revision :p ^__^

thanks mate, updates to follow tonight :)

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:34 PM ----------

Samuel Samura- Update 4
1st June 2007

Its been a year now since i left the coaching coach in Dakar, Senegal. I have really enjoyed the past 12 months and a lot of happened to make me feel very proud of my work. Here is how i reflect on the past year.

After the long flight to Cape Town, me and my best mate and now work colleague Carlos Quesada got on the train to head towards Pretoria and our new job at the youth department for the biggest club in South African football, Kaizer Chiefs. As we sat on the train, I couldn't help let myself get more and more excited about the new challenge that laid ahead of me and Carlos. The train journey was a long so I took the time out to inform my former employee's, FC Kallon that I had accepted a new job offer and that I thanked tham for everything they did for me. If it wasn't for them, I would be still sitting behind a desk answering phone calls and now look, im on my way to work with the biggest club in African football. Once we got to the train station in Pretoria, there was already a taxi waiting for us to take us to the training ground. The ride from the train station to the training ground was a short 10 minute ride. This was when the goosebumps really started to kick in. As we got closer, we could see the road signs pointing out the way to the training complex. I was so excited. When we arrived, we was greeted by Floyd Magale, the head of the youth department at the Kaizer Chiefs. This is when it really sung in, I had just started my first coaching job. We was then showed round the training complex, it was very impressive to say the least. I can remember keep pinching myself, was this all a wierd and wonderfull dream? After we was shown round the training complex, we was then treated to meeting some of the players. I could not believe how lovely and kind hearted the staff were here at the Kaizer Chiefs. They made me and Carlos feel at home. Later that night, we was taken to an all paid for hotel paid by the club. This is where we would stay untill we could afford our own places to stay.

I shall never forget the first day I started. All the youngsters are great and really well behaved. There are some real stars in the team but I dont want to give too much away. As for the season, well we did very well indeed, a lot better than I expected too. We managed to finish 2nd in the league which was a very impressive for us. We also managed to get to the final of the under 19's cup but we lost in the final.

Personal Life

The past 12 months have been great! I can remember getting my first wage pack, I had never seen numbers together that big before. I was amazed. Coming from a country like Seirra Leone, I hadn't had the chance to learn to drive and all the luxary most people have. After I opened up a bank account for the first time, I then saved up two months worth of wages and started to learn to drive. This took me about 13 weeks to learn and once I passed, I felt very proud of myself. I also managed to rent a nice little house within the city. It's not much but it has a roof over my head and isn't that all that counts?

18623236_1.jpg

My new house

Although I love coaching the Kaizer Chiefs Under 19's and working along side my best friend Carlos Quesada, I have applied for a few managerial jobs around Europe and Africa, although I was unsuccessful in both of my attempts. Never mind, I say carry on trying.

Nike-elite-training-2.JPG

Me and Carlos coaching our team

Carlos Quesada : Update 4

Small Apartment, Pretoria, South Africa

1st June 2007

Kaizer_Chiefs_Amakhosi-logo-457FDD9977-seeklogo.com.gif
As I sit here on the couch in my apartment in Pretoria, South Africa I reflect back over the last year of coaching Kaizer Chiefs under 19s team. It's been nearly a year since I left Senegal with my best friend and work colleague Samuel Samura. We had taken a plane from Dakar International to Cape Town as instructed. There was a contact in the airport to meet us who guided us to the train station where we took the next train available to Pretoria. We both fell asleep on the train but woke up to the sound of the lady on the speaker informing us that the next stop was Pretoria Central. As we left the station we noticed a cab with a Kaizer Chiefs logo on the side and a man in a suit holding up a plackard which read 'Quesada and Samura'. We got in the taxi and 15 minutes later we were at the Kaizer Chiefs training ground where were greeted by the Director of Youth, Floyd Magale. He had introduced us to the other coaches and the under 19s squad before taking us into the media room where we were to be unveiled to the public as we signed our contracts. The only media present were two journalists from local newspapers who looked old enough to be my grandad. It was nothing spectacular, we just signed the contracts and one of the old lads whipped out a camera to take a few snapshots for the 391st page of the newspaper I presumed.

The next few weeks had been great. Samuel and I had been given rooms in a hotel downtown which were fully payed for by the club until we sorted accomodation for ourselves. We were training the lads 3 times a week and had to attend a match every weekend. In our free time Samuel and me hit the clubs in downtown Pretoria picking up a different chick every night. I was really enjoying life here in Pretoria all year and all the work we did was almost rewarded with the lads performances with them finishing 2nd in the league along with being runners up in the South African Under 19s Cup. It was a real sickener after coming that close but the lads had done well and there was always next year. I haven't really been thinking about the future and it seems that I've found my dream.

2417029897_9bbf341bef.jpg

My apartment.

After a few weeks I managed to sort myself a small apartment for tiny rent and moved out of the hotel. This is the life I've always wanted, coaching young players and helping them improve their game. Working alongside my best friend and offering advice to Floyd Magale the youth team manager. The apartment is tiny but it does the job and I've started to quite like it.

Nike-elite-training-2.JPG

Our Under 19s lads in action on the training ground.

Really great update boys, keep it up :)

Sorry lads I've been on holidays in the beautiful town of Kinsale in county Cork for the past week which is why there have been no updates. Unless we get an update in the next few days there will be another 2 week break until the next update as I'm going to Irish College (Summer camp with discos, sports etc where u have to speak Irish, staying there for 2 weeks) on the 20th of June to the 4th of July. Sorry lads :(