Carlos Vela finishing issues - Help Pls!!

ExeterCity89

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Would really appreciate some experienced opinions on this issue, I'm not a FM veteran by any means and I'm hoping there's a very simple answer that I'm missing!.

Carlos Vela just doesn't finish as well as he should. He has a fantastic finishing stat and he plays in his desired position, constantly in the first team and is playing in a team that is currently fighting for the title.

Yet the majority of the time when I watch the gameplay he misses such easy chances, chances that the game defines as clear cut and he won't even hit the target. I would say out of 20 clear cut chances hes blazing wide with 14/15 of them. I definitely don't expect him to score every time but surely with those stats he shouldn't be missing so often?.

I am using ChristianEriksen - Beautiful Play (v10.0 PRESS + V10.1 DROP) tactics, if that influences him?. I have Nacer Chadli and Lacazette playing as the LW and F9 and they score with much more consistency than Vela even though their stats are comparably worse, Chadli especially who is weaker in pretty much every department in a direct winger vs winger comparison.

I thought maybe his trait of 'Placing Shots' might be the issue so I've recently set his training to discourage that.

I appreciate this may seem just like idle complaining as I am playing very well, usually win my games and scoring goals isn't an issue for my other players, it's just so disappointing that the star player misses so many chances.

Also worth nothing he's spent a good 3 1/2 months injured this season, but has been 100% match fit for a while now and still misses chances that I'd expect my youth players to score.

Any ideas?, cheers guys!

View attachment 327290View attachment 327289View attachment 327288

That does seem really strange as his attributes suggest that he should not be so wasteful at all. I can only think to train his composure as sometimes this can really be the difference maker. I had a regen in fm14 that had ridiculous stats for everything needed for a striker except for his composure which was 12, and he was also missing a lot of CCCs and was only getting about 1 every other game. I managed to get his composure up to 14 initially, and he was scoring more goals than he was playing games! So it could be possible that if you just manage to increase that to a 16 he might become a lot more prolific.

The other thing is if his unseen attribute for consistency is low, which means that he may not be playing to his full ability in most matches. So while he may be incredible at putting away chances and getting into positions in one match, he is really wasteful in most other matches when he isn't playing to a level that reflects his attributes. This is the main problem with Balotelli in fm games and is why I never really go for players that are reported to be inconsistent.

Other than that I'm really not sure. I hope this helps :)