nicknackk17

Reaction score
I was just 21 when I had that fatal meeting with the first team boss at Morecambe he announced I no longer had a future at the club, I was absolutely devastated but it meant i could move back to Nottingham. I tried my hand at a lower level turning out for teams like Mansfield Town and Tamworth but after a string of injuries I decided to hang up my boots and do my coaching badges at the age of 24. After completing all of my coaching qualifications I was offered a coaching role at local club Notts County which I enjoyed but was always longing for a shot at the big job. Sitting at home with my dog and my usual bottle of red wine on a friday night I receive a phone call from my local semi-professional team Carlton Town which I had made a handful of appearances for.
"Hello, is this Nick Whiting? is this Mick Garton the Chairman of Carlton Town FC"
"Hello, how can I help you?" I responded admittedly a little confused and suprised!
"I am calling you in regards to the vacant managerial post here at Carlton Town, due to unforeseen circumstances we have had to relieve Les Mcjannet of his duties after a scuffle with a youth team player. I have had heard good words from my contacts at Notts County and I wondered if you would be willing to come down to the ground tomorrow morning at 11am to discuss possibly joining us as the new manager"
"I would be delighted to attend this meeting, I'm excited at the prospect of possibly becoming the new manager!"

Eager to impress I rushed back to my parents house and borrowed one of my Dad's best suits and arrived at the ground the following morning at 10:45 a little bit early so I could have a quick look at the facilities and meet a few players. I was in a world of my own standing on the touchline watching the coaches push the Carlton boys hard when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was the chairman! I became a little bit nervous but he told me to relax and took me into a small office inside the clubs ground. There on the table infront of me lay my possible contract. "Listen son" Mick said, "I have high ambitions for this club, the media are predicting us 4th this season and I would love to be in the Blue Square Premier and challenging for football league in 4 years time." Which is quite viable as there are 2 promotions before Carlton reach the Blue Square premier. "I believe YOU are the man for the job" Nervously, I skimmed over the contract £150 p/w "you've got to start somewhere" I thought to myself. I gave the chairman a huge smile, shook his hand and said "where do I sign".

There was a small press conference to announce my arrival with two journalists attending one from the non-league paper and one from the local newspaper the evening post. I have quite and old squad to work with and a very tight budgets to work with £2.5k for transfers and £625 wages. I was ready for this challenge...