CB'S going for the same ball and being out of position.

eisik

Reaction score
Hi!

Im in my second season with Liverpool. Had an OK first season where i clinched 4th on the last day. I am 5 games into my second season and have won every match so things are going quite well.

My attacking play is pretty good. I manage to score every game and my attacking players are doing really well. Mainly Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho.

My problem, however, lies at the back. I play a sort of 4-3-2-1 formation with Wingbacks. The formation is supposed to be possession based and i am averaging about 500 passes per game.

The problem i am having with my CB's is that they tend to go for the same ball on occasions. Leaving miles of space behind them and to the sides. This almost always results in a clear cut chance or a goal. It's getting really anoying.

My CB's are Umtiti and Balanta. Is there anything i can do to prevent this? I haven't played FM for a few years and am pretty much starting from scratch.

Regards

Maybe instruct one of them to close down less than the other so that both dont rush into every attack, if that doesnt work set both to close down less and see what happens. 2 young CB's could lead to bad decision making so it will possibly be part and parcel of your season if both of those are 1st team regulars, but just improve positioning and close down less, let me know if it helps

Thanks for the reply

I'll try that. I sold Sakho to Dortmund and really dislike Lovren and Skrtel in real life so i just can't play them :)

Both are set to Central Defender and defend. Both are also set to "Mark tighter" and one is instructed to "Close down less"

Maybe the "Mark tighter" instruction is causing the trouble?

I got Ramos and Pepe/Varane who very often are making the same mistake. I set them to "close down very less" now they don't leave space, but my full backs leave alot of space, I concede only from crosses from flanks...
anyway,you can't use mark tighter to CD's, cause they will leave a lot of space, if the opposition has a F9, your CD will go after him and the opposite wingers will score easy cause you don't have the CD's anymore