Reaction score
### New Tweak - 3 Strikers Tactic - Original Knap ###

PEP x BOSZ

I don't like playing with five at the back tactics. That's why I decided to hold on the focus at realistic and 'normal' formations. However, I ended up making a tactic that defends with 5 players at the back. Sometimes. The tactic is a 41221 formation but has some manual marking in it. Yes, the tactic is plug and play. I really love to make attacking tactics with a lot of pressing. But still it has to overpower sub and weak teams. That's always my target. With this tactic I managed to get the results I want.

The defensive midfielder is the player with manual marking in it. Check the player instructions for this player. He has to mark the opponent striker. This creates a 523 formation when you have to defend. Thanks to this the tactic is able to overpower. I managed to get good results with Ajax. In my first season we won the Champions League with extremely good results. That's a bit over overpowered results, isn't it? Check the players below, average. Keep in mind we had lot's of injuries and the bench is extremely weak.

Pick the training whatever you like. I use the standard team training settings, with one day rest after the match. Sometimes, when playing lot's of matches in a few days, I select more rest days for my first 11 players (manual selecting). I train my players to the role they play in the tactic. I don't use opposition instructions and my assistant manager does the pre-match talk. When leading at half time I don't say a word to my players. Just shout 'encourage' and 'show passion' in-match.

The tactic has two versions. There's no such thing as 'we are the best', I select 'plan A'. No. When you play some months with this tactic you will get used to the tactic and know what is the best choice. Every league and every opponent is different, so there's always a chance you have to change. Both tactics are almost the same. Just a few team instructions (2-3) and players roles (backs) are different.

I pick version 2 when I play in the Champions League against big opponents. Most of the time they leave big gaps in the defense because they want to attack. Manchester United played in the final very narrow and defensive. That's why my running inside backs (attack) couldn't help us taking the lead. We had lot's of players before the ball, which is dangerous. That's why I decided to pick one fullback (support) and one inside back (support). But still using V2. I use V1 when I am the favorite to win and play against a very narrow defensive team. This tactic has more runs inside the box from the Mezzala's and does stretch the opponent a bit more thanks to the supporting full backs.

I almost never changed the mentaly at the team instructions. The tactic gave me a solid feeling. Just what I told, to get some more control, I switched the mentality (attack to support or defensive) of the full backs. This gave us in most situations some more players behind the ball, which is needed for defensive control. I recommend using these tweaks or try the team instructions by yourself.

Last edited:
Support you always!!!

Do you using any training for the season ?

Would you say, u can use V2 all the time?
Since you win the CL with it ;p

Loved your story, and good to see you back!

Christian i will test your tactic for sure! but can you give examples of which tactics you called VERY NARROW?

So when you put mentality to defensive you need to put the full backs from support/attack to defense?

So when you put mentality to defensive you need to put the full backs from support/attack to defense?

No, what he is saying you should never switch to lower mentality, but sometimes he change the backs when he gets counter attacked a lot.

@ChristianEriksen: I'd like to test it with Feyenoord, but I've got a question which is compared to Wigo15's question: how are you deciding which you use? Because you use the V2 against big teams in the Champions League, and the V1 against teams which are playing a narrow system. What are you doing with other teams in the competitie which aren't using a narrow system? Or should I see it as: V1 = competitie, V2 = Europe?

Playing with inverted wingbacks, do you want a left footed wingback om the right, or is it the normal Way?

No, what he is saying you should never switch to lower mentality, but sometimes he change the backs when he gets counter attacked a lot.

@ChristianEriksen: I'd like to test it with Feyenoord, but I've got a question which is compared to Wigo15's question: how are you deciding which you use? Because you use the V2 against big teams in the Champions League, and the V1 against teams which are playing a narrow system. What are you doing with other teams in the competitie which aren't using a narrow system? Or should I see it as: V1 = competitie, V2 = Europe?
That’s correct!

I will explain the tactic in detail tonight. But I used the V1 in the League, V2 in the CL. In the CL there’s more space to exploit, but to see out a match I switched the mentality of the backs to control most of the time. In the League there’s few space for teams like Ajax because everyone’s playing defensive. That’s when I use V1.

Playing with inverted wingbacks, do you want a left footed wingback om the right, or is it the normal Way?
Normal is okay. Even left footed winger on left wing is okay. Lot’s of crosses in this tactic.

I just started a save with Deportivo Alaves which is considered a underdog team - so my question is what version i should use as an underdog?
- Thanks for a tactic what doesn’t use five players at the back ??????

Hey CE, outstanding tactic, I've tried it before in the thread 'different tactics around the world' with Sporting, gotta say I got outstanding results, my bad was getting eliminated by away goals in the quarter-final, but to reach the quarter final I managed to go through a group that had Barça, PSG and Lyon.

My question is: I see you've had troubles in away games in the CL, 1-5 vs Real, 2-3 vs young boys, but then you win 4-0 vs PSG, in away game, how do you do that? How do you manage away games in the CL or against stronger teams?

Cheers mate

Hey CE, outstanding tactic, I've tried it before in the thread 'different tactics around the world' with Sporting, gotta say I got outstanding results, my bad was getting eliminated by away goals in the quarter-final, but to reach the quarter final I managed to go through a group that had Barça, PSG and Lyon.

My question is: I see you've had troubles in away games in the CL, 1-5 vs Real, 2-3 vs young boys, but then you win 4-0 vs PSG, in away game, how do you do that? How do you manage away games in the CL or against stronger teams?

Cheers mate

Thanks a lot for your comment and testing. I have to say that this tactic is pretty much different to the one you’re talking about. However, the tactic name is similar because both managers inspired me even more.

I updated the tactic after the Group Stage. After that phase I didn’t make a single tweak. Besides switching in-match the mentality of the backs.

Good luck testing!

Cheers mate

He said he updated the tactic after a weak start.

I just started a save with Deportivo Alaves which is considered a underdog team - so my question is what version i should use as an underdog?
- Thanks for a tactic what doesn’t use five players at the back ������
That’s me. I hate 5 at the back. I advice to use both, but in most situations the V2. But don’t forget to lower the mentality of the backs in case you’re leading for more control. Use the V1 when you can’t break centrally through the opposition because of their defensive and small strategy. V1 Gives some more control than V2.

That’s me. I hate 5 at the back. I advice to use both, but in most situations the V2. But don’t forget to lower the mentality of the backs in case you’re leading for more control. Use the V1 when you can’t break centrally through the opposition because of their defensive and small strategy. V1 Gives some more control than V2.
When you say lower the mentality of the backs what you mean?

I don't understand when we have to use v1 or v2 ? and with the fullbacks tweak ? the DLP do individual marking ?

I think use V1 when you play underdog teams that park the bus and counter?
and V2 against open "big" teams who attack?

Another Tactic to Big Clubs...

Please refrain from commenting if you cannot even use a single braincell, have you even seen the results in the main post?

He won the UCL with ajax.. AJAX. Not Arsenal, Chelsea or Barça but AJAX.